Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vacation in ME?

Default Vacation in ME?

I’m late to thinking of summer, largely because we haven’t done anything or gone anywhere in the past year. We’d like to rent a place in Maine, we’ve been to Acadia before and I’m interested in exploring somewhere different. We are more interested in outside/wildlife opportunities, hiking, swimming, canoe/kayaking. It’s such a big state (at least for the NE) and I don’t even know where to start! Would love recommendations of where to look before everything is completely booked up.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

I love the Phippsburg/Georgetown area if you want to be on the coast. Popham Beach and Reid State Park are large, popular beaches in the area. It’s not nearly as touristy as some other areas in Maine but absolutely gorgeous.

Southern Maine is also great but will be packed in the summer.

Duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by sf333 View Post
    I love the Phippsburg/Georgetown area if you want to be on the coast. Popham Beach and Reid State Park are large, popular beaches in the area. It’s not nearly as touristy as some other areas in Maine but absolutely gorgeous.

Southern Maine is also great but will be packed in the summer.
    Thanks, I’ll look into the beach area. I imagine the beaches are really cold? I remember the water being super cold at Acadia. We’ve been to Portland before and will likely do one night there just to eat . I was actually hoping for more swimmable lakes and mountains with more boreal habitats. We live year round at a nice beach area.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I spend a lot of time in Maine during the summer. PM me if you want to talk specifics. The oceans are refreshing. As it is warmer in the summers, the oceans have become more user friendly. Nonetheless, the lakes are amazing. Sebago Lake/Long Lake region is a great area. Lots of wonderful Lakes around there to rent houses. The closer you get to NH and there are some bigger mountains but tons of day hikes all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just looked up where we rented a house in Maine with family and the town was called Newry (where the Sunday River ski area is). We found lots of fun things to do in the area including a roadside pie stand that was on the honor system.

If you’re interested in lakes and hiking, what about the lakes region in NH? Absolutely gorgeous lakes (with water warm enough for swimming &#128521 and tons of great hiking nearby.

And yes, the ocean is freezing in Maine, even in the summer. My kids will go in but they don’t stay in for hours like they do in warmer spots.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sf333 View Post
    If you’re interested in lakes and hiking, what about the lakes region in NH? Absolutely gorgeous lakes (with water warm enough for swimming ) and tons of great hiking nearby.

And yes, the ocean is freezing in Maine, even in the summer. My kids will go in but they don’t stay in for hours like they do in warmer spots.
    Do you have any specific areas in NH to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Do you have any specific areas in NH to recommend?

The PP was recommending the lakes region which is south of the White Mnts (and I’d be interested in recommendations on a town or lake there as well) but the White’s are one of my favorite places. We usually rent in Waterville Estates, which is far from the swankiest area, but they have a nice rec area with multiple pools and other amenities. Because we are coming from south of the Whites this avoids a lot of traffic going through the Whites. Lots of people prefer the east side, e.g., the Conway area but overall the area is small enough that you can see most of it from wherever you choose to stay. We aren’t skiers so keep that in mind with my preferences.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Way Downeast is Lubec. So much fun hiking and stuff. Stonington is known for kayaking, it's the best.

For NH- Newfound land, Squam Lake, Gunstock, Holderness, Rumney, Thornton, Waterville Valley, Bretton Woods. We were at Waterville today and it was just amazing.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast