Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Questions for NorCal residents

Unfortunately my fun plan of an RV trip to visit a few Northern California colleges during the kids spring break isn't going to work out, but we will still make the drive up and stay in an Airbnb for a few days. We'd like to stay about midway between Sacramento and San Jose, so that one day we can go east to see UC Davis and drive by the capitol building (for DS2's interest), and another day drive southwest to see Stanford. We'll hopefully also be able to see DH's cousin for a covid safe visit (she lives in east bay), plus maybe Muir Woods, and since we're there we may as well see Berkeley even though it isn't on DS1's list. I'm thinking we should look for a house in east bay? maybe Vallejo? Berkeley? Any advice on where we should or should not stay? I'm a very light sleeper so I want it to be quiet at night but with some room for the kids to have separate beds, and our own kitchen to minimize outside food. But since we'll be out driving around each day, we'd like to stay somewhere that is convenient to the highways, has a bigger grocery store, has parking, etc. We know most college campuses are still closed for covid- we can get a decent feel for the campus itself online and driving around, but DS1 really wants to see the surrounding areas to see if it's where he'd want to live for 4+years.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don’t have a specific place in mind, but it seems like Berkeley would be a good central location for you and certainly more interesting than Vallejo. It will be more pricey, though.

We too will probably be doing a college road trip after we find out where he got it in! All three colleges have interesting (though quite different) college towns!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Berkeley will be a better option than Vallejo, which is kind of sketchy. I would also avoid Richmond and parts of Oakland, as both can be sketchy. I know Berkeley (and Oakland) a little bit but you may want to stay away from the Berkeley or El Cerrito Bart Stations as Bart trains run at night until 1 am I think and then start at 5 am (I think). The Air B n B maps though should have the Bart stations listed. Bart is very useful though if you want to go into San Francisco even just for dinner or for a day so don’t discount using it. Honestly though I would still consider staying in Davis as there is less overall traffic, there are no sketchy areas to worry about and there is still enough places to eat. It will also give your DS some time to see the area even though the students aren’t on campus, but I am sure there are still a lot in and around town.

Also note that there are bridge tolls through out the Bay Area so if you have a Fasttrak make sure you bring it it at least bring a bunch of $5 bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nowadays a number of the bridges have gone all electronic.
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...-monthly-bill/

If you want to go to Muir Woods look into parking reservations today. I don't know how bad it is to get a reservation but after a lot of fights with neighbors over the parking situation and cars circling they went to a reservation parking system so you can't just show up on a nice day. Berkeley is a fun town and fairly safe. I would nix a lot of the east bay as either too sleepy or too sketchy to be worth staying in (not that there aren't pockets that don't fall into this but you kind of need to know specifically where you are looking). If you really want to see Davis and Stanford I guess I'd consider doing a hotel room in each town close to the campus. Staying in the area at least 24 hours gives you a better sense of what the place is like beyond just the campus tour.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We had family that lived right off Piedmont Ave in Oakland. I always loved that area of the East Bay the best. Parts of Berkeley are hit or miss, for me. Alameda (especially near the water) would had nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for the responses! I'm glad you mentioned Alameda, I saw a few listings there and it looks nice but I didn't know if it actually is nice. I figured we should avoid Oakland, and I know nothing about Vallejo other than where it is on the map. I don't think we want to be over in Davis the whole time because then the drive to everywhere else will be longer.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Questions for NorCal residents

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    Thanks for the responses! I'm glad you mentioned Alameda, I saw a few listings there and it looks nice but I didn't know if it actually is nice. I figured we should avoid Oakland, and I know nothing about Vallejo other than where it is on the map. I don't think we want to be over in Davis the whole time because then the drive to everywhere else will be longer.

There are parts of Oakland that are nice (Oakland Hills/Piedmont Avenue, and Upper and Lower Rockridge) so if you are looking on a map north of 580 and preferably not much further east Park Blvd just before the 13 merges with 580. Please PM me if you have specific questions about Oakland. Also note that part of Alameda (Bay Farm) butts up against Oakland (next the Oakland Airport) and the Oakland side is not good, but Alameda is still fine.

ETA: Walnut Creek is about an hour from Stanford but you will be going with traffic so keep that in mind if you are there during the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-01-2021 at 07:04 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Walnut Creek would be more convenient for the trip to Davis. Alameda is lovely but is inconvenient to everything (it's an island). It will be a pain to get to Stanfurd (spelling intentional) from anywhere in the East Bay.

You also could consider Pleasanton, which would make for a longer trek to Davis, but it would be easier to go south around the bay to Stanfurd to avoid the bridges.

I think all of the bridges/tolls have eliminated toll takers. They send you a bill in the mail if you don't have a Fastrak account.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Walnut Creek would be more convenient for the trip to Davis. Alameda is lovely but is inconvenient to everything (it's an island). It will be a pain to get to Stanfurd (spelling intentional) from anywhere in the East Bay.
    Yes! Cal grad here (so I see no misspelling lol), and I also lived in Alameda for a few short months. It is indeed a pain - I vividly recall my Dad saying he would never live in a place like that, where it takes so long to get to/from the freeway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast