Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When I think of Alameda, I too think of the bridge traffic. perhaps it's better nowadays with covid. It's a lovely place, though, aside from that issue.

I assume you are driving? I think if it was me, i would start out at Davis and spend a night there to allow more time to absorb the atmosphere and give time to see the capitol building. Then I would go the Bay Area and choose a home base that is convenient to Palo Alto (stanford), your cousin, Berkeley, and San Francisco/Muir woods. From a purely practical POV, you could stay in the East Bay near 92 or 84 (bridges) and do day trips, but they themselves are very boring places lol That's near me, so I know the area well and I can help you if you choose that route. Berkeley could work, too, though it'll be a trek to Stanford.
    Pleasanton and Walnut Creek can be a pain with 580 and 680 traffic, though it's definitely less nowadays.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I think if it was me, i would start out at Davis and spend a night there to allow more time to absorb the atmosphere and give time to see the capitol building. Then I would go the Bay Area and choose a home base that is convenient to Palo Alto (stanford), your cousin, Berkeley, and San Francisco/Muir woods. From a purely practical POV, you could stay in the East Bay near 92 or 84 (bridges) and do day trips, but they themselves are very boring places lol That's near me, so I know the area well and I can help you if you choose that route. Berkeley could work, too, though it'll be a trek to Stanford.
    Pleasanton and Walnut Creek can be a pain with 580 and 680 traffic, though it's definitely less nowadays.
    I like this plan (staying near Davis first and then moving down to the Bay Area). In my opinion, Davis and all the other places mentioned are so far apart that if you choose something "in the middle," it will still be quite a drive in any direction. The issue is that the places you want to go are literally on all different sides of the Bay Area, lol! East Bay for DH's cousin, Stanfurd on the Peninsula (hello fellow Cal grads!), Muir Woods in the North Bay.... there isn't really a perfect "central" location to recommend. I was thinking Fremont since it's near the 84/92 bridges like Globetrotter recommended, but it's definitely not cute and touristy like Alameda or even Berkeley. If you want the quickest and easiest commute to the East Bay, Peninsula, and North Bay, somewhere along I-880 near 84/92 is probably your best bet.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2