Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Ugh. Math Class Conundrum

Here's the scenario. My youngest 3 are at a public charter K-8. They are small and one of the big problems that they deal with is that the middle school doesn't have any "tracking" for math class. Over the years they have dealt with this by trying to add in an extra math class for "certain" kids. They are HIGHLY selective but it isn't based on a math score but whether the math teacher deems that the student has both the math aptitude and the responsibility to handle two simultaneous math classes.

Almost 4 years ago, DS1 was told he was not eligible for it because although he was capable of the math, he was "too immature". He has a 504 for ADHD (as well as for diabetes) and I feel like I could have "fought" that but DS1 didn't want to do it that badly so I didn't. It became an issue for math placement in high school.

Now DS2 is in 8th grade. The class was not offered at the start of the year. I understand because these are special times. A few weeks back, he was invited to a "special summer class" "by invitation only" "don't talk about this with other students or parents" to take which will advance him to the higher track. We said yes...but even then had reservations about it. I'm just not a "don't talk about it with anyone" type of person. Come to find out that several of DS2's friends did not "make the cut". Again, most of them not because of their math aptitude but because the teacher doesn't think they're mature enough. Or "he doesn't like their attitude". It really bothered me because in TWO cases, the parents DIRECTLY ASKED THE TEACHER WHAT THEIR STUDENT SHOULD DO and the math teacher did not even mention the class. I have a problem with these kinds of "secret" classes in a public school. Even though DS2 wants to do the class.

Anyway, today I got a call from the teacher that his enrollment in the class "might be in jeopardy" because Ds2 has had to redo his math assignments twice. I really wish I could say that I handled that conversation with grace but I simply said, "we'll see about that" mostly because I had been toying with the idea of saying something to the teacher and the administration about the exclusive nature of the class ALREADY since it really rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't want to be snotty--honest!-- but I also didn't want to tacitly accept the idea of the super exclusive class that apparently the teacher can withdraw us from on a whim (DS2 has an A in math right now). I obviously need to work on this part of my communication strategy!

I had been holding out on talking to the administration about the class because this week the school is starting up in person instruction and they are completely overwhelmed. I don't like the way I handled the math teacher. He's THE math teacher for 7-8 grade. And frankly DS2 really likes the teacher. I don't want to make a teacher's life more difficult.

I'm also still really angry about the way that this is being handled.

Ugh. So that's the "short" backstory. I'm wondering if we should just preemptively pull out of the class. I think it has the potential to be really helpful. BUT his friends that were "rejected" by the special class are all taking a class together through an online charter. We could join that (for free!) and with no drama.

Would you just tell the teacher "thanks but no thanks" for the class and join with the friends? How would you handle talking to the administration about this "special" class? I won't have a 7th grader for 4 more years but this has been an issue for BOTH my kids before. I feel like I want to do something. My sister (teacher in Northern VA) thinks I should say something. My DH does not think I should.

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn’t rock the boat and ensured that ds2 got this opportunity.
    Your ds2’s friends will figure it out and the parents can decide what to do.
    Eventually I might run your concerns up the flagpole but not now.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I remember the trouble you had with DS1 over math. What a pain that you're having to go through this again.

If he takes the online class does that automatically qualify him for the higher class next year that this "secret" class would get him in?

My gut says just to let him take the class. Just because his friends didn't get into it doesn't mean he shouldn't be given the opportunity. My DS is only 8, but he got an extra pack of work sent home last year that a lot of other kids didn't. One of his friend's mom sent a group text out asking questions because some of it was challenging, and many of the moms replied that their child didn't get it. I knew that it only went to the advanced ones because I was volunteering the day the teacher was going over it. It didn't really bother me that some kids got different work than others. I felt bad that they were caught off guard, but I can't help the teacher didn't give it to their child.
    Last edited by MSWR0319; 03-01-2021 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I remember the trouble you had with DS1 over math. What a pain that you're having to go through this again.

If he takes the online class does that automatically qualify him for the higher class next year that this "secret" class would get him in?
    Yes it does. With the added bonus that it gives him some high school credit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post

My gut says just to let him take the class. Just because his friends didn't get into it doesn't mean he shouldn't be given the opportunity. My DS is only 8, but he got an extra pack of work sent home last year that a lot of other kids didn't. One of his friends sent a group text out asking questions because some of it was challenging, and many of the moms replied that their child didn't get it. I knew that it only went to the advanced ones because I was volunteering the day the teacher was going over it. It didn't really bother me that some kids got different work than others. I felt bad that they were caught off guard, but I can't help the teacher didn't give it to their child.
    And thank you for remembering. Because I still feel very tender about that prior experience and his threat today made me feel very emotional!

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

UGH! I hate classes like that.

I taught math for awhile and worked mostly with the kids that struggled. But they accelerated program was much bigger than it should be, there were definite requirements, but parents still FOUGHT the administration to get their kids in.

My "mini-classes" were for those that struggled and there was sometimes issues with getting kids in there too. We had a few parents of high flyers fight for the extra help. It was crazy!

I would speak to the teacher about your concerns. Especially about your child's place suddenly being "in jeapardy" over an assignment. Either he is invited to attend or he isn't, they cannot change their minds after the invite goes out.

As for it being "exclusive" and not "talking about it to other parents/students", that's crazy. I never understood those types of scenarios, even when it's a legal matter.

As for the class, I would ask you son what he wants to do. Give him the options and the pros/cons of each and let him decide. However, if he wants to do the class, make sure the teacher knows that they CANNOT rescind the offer after the fact!

What the heck is wrong with your district? In our district, advanced math classes are based on standardized test scores alone. And that’s it. No exceptions. I think they instituted that policy so that parents couldn’t argue and that selection wasn’t subjective.

Definitely do all you can to get your DS2 into the special, secret math class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    What the heck is wrong with your district? In our district, advanced math classes are based on standardized test scores alone. And that’s it. No exceptions. I think they instituted that policy so that parents couldn’t argue and that selection wasn’t subjective.

Definitely do all you can to get your DS2 into the special, secret math class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Honestly this is the charter school but the district was worse so that's why we're here.

You think I should pursue the class? Even if we can get to the next level (and credit) through the free charter online class?

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    UGH! I hate classes like that.

I taught math for awhile and worked mostly with the kids that struggled. But they accelerated program was much bigger than it should be, there were definite requirements, but parents still FOUGHT the administration to get their kids in.

My "mini-classes" were for those that struggled and there was sometimes issues with getting kids in there too. We had a few parents of high flyers fight for the extra help. It was crazy!

I would speak to the teacher about your concerns. Especially about your child's place suddenly being "in jeapardy" over an assignment. Either he is invited to attend or he isn't, they cannot change their minds after the invite goes out.

As for it being "exclusive" and not "talking about it to other parents/students", that's crazy. I never understood those types of scenarios, even when it's a legal matter.

As for the class, I would ask you son what he wants to do. Give him the options and the pros/cons of each and let him decide. However, if he wants to do the class, make sure the teacher knows that they CANNOT rescind the offer after the fact!
    Yeah. The whole rescind thing is really getting to me.

I guess I don't see why they can't offer the class to anyone that wants it?? I mean it is a math class over the summer... why is this a "special" thing? Maybe there are kids who aren't the smartest and don't have the best manners who want a shot at a better math class?

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Yeah. The whole rescind thing is really getting to me.

I guess I don't see why they can't offer the class to anyone that wants it?? I mean it is a math class over the summer... why is this a "special" thing? Maybe there are kids who aren't the smartest and don't have the best manners who want a shot at a better math class?
    Yeah...this feels like the type of program that is meant to keep the ‘top’ kids on top while insuring that the bottom kids stay put. And reading about the teacher’s ability to choose only kids he likes reminds me of Professor Slughorn’s elite dinner parties in Harry Potter.

I remember the dilemma with your DS1 also but can’t believe that was 4 yrs ago! Wow!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast