Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Yeah...this feels like the type of program that is meant to keep the ‘top’ kids on top while insuring that the bottom kids stay put. And reading about the teacher’s ability to choose only kids he likes reminds me of Professor Slughorn’s elite dinner parties in Harry Potter.

I remember the dilemma with your DS1 also but can’t believe that was 4 yrs ago! Wow!
    That is just too perfect. I'm now calling "special math" "the slug club" lol.

Asking DS2 how he feels is undoubtedly the right approach and maybe that's why I wasn't "feeling" any particular response. Once I'm clear about what I want to have happen I feel like I'm pretty good about interacting with people to get what I want. I feel like what I'm terrible about is knowing how to act in that space when I haven't quite worked through it. I wonder if any of you have any tips for how to do that? How do you respond in a really non-committal way that doesn't make for any backtracking.

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd keep him in the class, an I'd have no problems with students not being allowed to stay if they can't maintain high grades in it.

My oldest just started 6th grade this year. He got put into a special accelerated math class based on his SBAC scores and teacher recommendation. There are 12 kids in this class which is awesome since most middle school classes are 35+. From day one, it has been made clear that if the student can not maintain a B average in the class, they will be bumped down into the honors math class. The honors math class would still keep them on track to hit calculus their senior year, but this special class has them hitting calculus even earlier. This is the first time my son has ever been challenged in math, so he is loving it. (His elem school tried to provide enrichment, but they could never keep him challenged in math.)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I remember the dilemma with your DS1 also but can’t believe that was 4 yrs ago! Wow!
    This was my first thought!!!

I have a problem with the fact that the class is "secret". I would not be willing to commit to secrecy for a class. I also have a problem with a class that isn't offered to all that doesn't have clear criteria for what qualifies a student. Clear criteria is also important so there's not a "I'm going to rescind the invitation" thing going on -- I would have no problem with a "if student doesn't finish the year with a grade of X or better, they can't take the class" -- but not a random "student had a bad day today and now I'm threatening that they're out" situation.

That being said - if this class will be beneficial to your DS and he's interested in taking it, I also wouldn't refuse on principle. BUT - if the same (or better?) class is available in another setting (the online charter), and you/DS feel like that will be a better class, then go for it! If I'm understanding things correctly, the online charter gives DS all the same benefits - with no risk of being kicked out last minute at the whim of the math teacher -- so I'd lean towards that. But ultimately I think the decision to make RIGHT NOW is just which class is the best for your DS.

I would really, really, really want to bring it up with administration. The situation doesn't feel right as is. I'm really struggling to give you advice her though because I don't know what the right answer is! Especially in a small setting, it's such a fine line between speaking up for the betterment of the school and risking punitive reactions that will hurt your children. I really don't know the right answer here!
    Lizi

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

As frustrating and unfair as this all is, I would just wait to say anything and let your DS take the secret class. I would have the online class as a backup in case something doesn't pan out with the invitational only class. I wouldn't let DS2 pick which class. Just have him take the one he was invited for, esp since he likes the teacher and will continue with the teacher.

I think in person math classes are much preferred to online math classes. It's easier to follow, it's easier to ask questions, easier to receive help when stuck.

I'm sorry for all of the frustrations! Hopefully this class will get your DS2 on the correct math track for him without much hassle and be a good summer experience for him in a small class.
    Hugs to you ((((hugs))))
    K

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hmm. In your case, I'd probably stay enrolled in the secret class until you're sure he's been accepted into the online class & then drop the secret class.

However, the concept of the "secret class" doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother you. When my brothers were in middle school, there was no option to take Algebra until high school. So every year, a small group of kids were chosen to take a summer school Algebra class between 8th and 9th grades. This was the 80s, so I'm not sure the criteria, but I know it was only 5-10 students. (out of a graduating class of 65ish) They had to be willing to put in a lot more work and spend a lot more time than a normal class in order to fit it into the session. (6-8 weeks? Something like that.) So, the kids had to be the ones willing to put in the effort. It sounds like your school is doing something similar.

ETA: I DO think it's reasonable to speak with the administration about the selection criteria for this class.
    Last edited by klwa; 03-02-2021 at 07:33 AM.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you're upset about the discussion with the math teacher - call and smooth it over. Simply say you regret how you spoke and you were having a bad day. (or whatever feels right )

I personally would send him to the class even if he is struggling a little. Kids learn alot through productive struggle
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Thank you all. I want to smooth it over with the teacher. I have been really wrestling with the "secret" aspect of the class (and honestly the selection criteria!) for weeks now so it was hard not to get caught off guard when I was told that DS's placement in the class "was in jeopardy". I never wanted to convey anger--and it came off as angry. It was more that I didn't want to say nothing and came off as more terse and combative than I actually felt. I feel like I need to figure out a way to express reservation about something in a really neutral way.

I still don't know what to do about the class but I do think I want to make amends with the teacher. i don't feel okay being anything but supportive to a teacher during this difficult time.

I'm not okay with secret classes. But also I still want DS in the secret class. DS will be behind his most competitive peers if he doesn't get the secret class, or so I thought before I learned about this charter school alternative. I think the charter school solves this problem. I also don't see why the kids who are ahead get extra math but the numerous kids who were struggling over distance learning through the past year don't get a special class.

I'm surprised. This is a public charter school, right? So I would think that there would be open access to all classes, and not subject to teacher recommendation/whim. Granted, as you move up in math you need to have the skills to advance to a higher level, but there should be some type of objective criteria that provides this opportunity to all students that qualify, not the "select few" who the teacher deems worthy.

In your shoes, I would put DS in the charter school alternative. The secrecy/exclusivity of that class really rubs me the wrong way.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinay View Post
    I'm surprised. This is a public charter school, right? So I would think that there would be open access to all classes, and not subject to teacher recommendation/whim. Granted, as you move up in math you need to have the skills to advance to a higher level, but there should be some type of objective criteria that provides this opportunity to all students that qualify, not the "select few" who the teacher deems worthy.

In your shoes, I would put DS in the charter school alternative. The secrecy/exclusivity of that class really rubs me the wrong way.
    Yep and while I am not one who likes drama I would report the secrecy of this to the school board and the school district. I get having a class and making a test required for placement in the class but imho you can’t cherry pick kids to be in a certain class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast