Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Any new stats on kids and Long Haul COVID19?

Its looking possible that Dh and I will be fully vaccinated by the end of this month. Our family has been very careful because DH’s immunocompromised due to medication he is taking and I have asthma. Once we are vaccinated we started to think about how this affects our carefully-constructed risk analysis arguments. I’ve long suspected Dh has adhd and this past year has brought about some crazy behavior on his part. He’s climbing the walls to get out and do things. He needed to be reminded that our kids won’t be vaccinated for a while yet and are still at risk of infection. The discussion led to our real fear- any of our kids getting Long Haul COVID19. We argued back and forth about the likelihood of any of them getting it and how much we should still protect them. We came to the agreement that in the absence of real statistics about the numbers of children with Long Haul COVID19, as a family we would avoid anything indoors that could be a super-spreader event. This still rules out movie theaters, restaurants, and other places where distancing is not widely observed or where there’s the potential for crowding.

All this would be much easier if we had some solid, dependable numbers about kids with Long Haul Covid. Dh asked me to ask the BBB if any of you have heard anything. Any updates you can give would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 03-02-2021 at 02:49 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

No stats, but DH and I decided that we will let our kids get back to normal once I’m vaccinated, which will be when most people will get vaccinated. We haven’t seen much evidence that kids are likely to have long lasting effects.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    No stats, but DH and I decided that we will let our kids get back to normal once I’m vaccinated, which will be when most people will get vaccinated. We haven’t seen much evidence that kids are likely to have long lasting effects.
    Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We're taking the same approach. We're hoping that following the mass vaccination of most adults that rates of infection will be down. And that the risks are not high enough to keep up our current level of vigilance.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Will you get your kids vaccinated once a vax is available for ages 17 and under? I’m just curious. We are really trying to figure out where the greatest risk is- long haul covid in kids or long-term side effects from the vaccine. It would be really easy for us to draw anecdotal conclusions. Almost everyone we know in our crazy, anti-masking community has had it. Only one has been hospitalized. I don’t want to base our decisions on anecdotal evidence though, which is why I’m looking for statistics.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, now that DH and I and my parents are vaccinated we are taking a few more "risks" with our kids. Meaning they get to go to Costco on a crowded Saturday with 2 masks on instead of staying home, and go inside the lodge to use the bathroom when we are skiing instead of driving back to the condo!

I don't have data on long haul COVID in children. I do think that the risk of mortality/hospitalization of children from COVID is around about the same as the risk of death from influenza in a given year (clearly higher mortality in adults though). I am more concerned about getting quarantined and having to miss work for 2 weeks if my kid picks up COVID at a playdate more than long term consequences.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

I am particularly concerned about the heart damage. Any reports on that with kids? There was the college basketball player that had an emergency situation on the basketball court earlier this year, which was scary.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    I am particularly concerned about the heart damage. Any reports on that with kids? There was the college basketball player that had an emergency situation on the basketball court earlier this year, which was scary.
    Yes, exactly. My 17 year old DS1's good friend just spent 4 days in the hospital with myocarditis, which has been popping up in teens and young adults who have had Covid. I haven't spoken to his mom yet so I don't know if they ever found the cause, but my first thought when I heard was Covid.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    We were given info similar to this by our hockey coaches. If anyone was actually sick with Covid, they needed to follow guidelines and follow up with a doctor r.e. risk of myocarditis. None of the teens on our teams actually got sick, but we had a few test positive. I think it's something to consider for sure.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/r...from-covid-19/
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Will you get your kids vaccinated once a vax is available for ages 17 and under? I’m just curious. We are really trying to figure out where the greatest risk is- long haul covid in kids or long-term side effects from the vaccine. It would be really easy for us to draw anecdotal conclusions. Almost everyone we know in our crazy, anti-masking community has had it. Only one has been hospitalized. I don’t want to base our decisions on anecdotal evidence though, which is why I’m looking for statistics.
    I will definitely be getting my kids vaccinated. It can’t happen soon enough. The vaccines are efficacious and safe. Covid can have much worse impact even for kids. If I could vaccinate against flu and obtain the same results as the covid vaccine, it would be amazing. I get the flu shot but it would be great if it did what the Covid vaccines did. Long term Covid risks appear to be long term heart issues and possibly an increase in type 1 diabetes. While the risks for kids seem closer to the flu risks, there are real risks to the flu too.

To answer your original question, I think I will have my kids continue to wear masks inside with non vaccinated people. They have no been inside someone else’s house since October but i think masked i will be ok with that now. I will wait until the positivity is close to 2 before they can play outside without a mask and 1 before they can play inside without a mask. I probably won’t take them to an indoor restaurant until they are vaccinated but I might go without them. I would still prefer to be outside. I will not be going unmasked to a big germ fest like a children’s museum. I don’t feel the need to throw everything away and have them get sick on 10 yard line but I’ll take some risks.

For example, I’ll be fully vaccinated shortly. I am taking them on an airplane to see my parents once I am. They will be double masked and with a face shield. We will not doing anything crazy when we are at my parents. They are fully vaccinated already.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast