Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I heard an article recently about MISC, the inflammatory syndrome in kids post-Covid. It is on the rise although they do not understand why and it most often affects black and latino children.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/14/96780...-complications

Fauci stated, "post-COVID syndrome could last anywhere from weeks to months and that even in asymptomatic COVID-19 patients, about 60% have some indication of inflammation of the heart."
    https://www.newsobserver.com/news/co...#storylink=cpy

Some children and adults are also developing POTS, a form of dysautonomia, a chronic condition
    https://www.whio.com/news/post-covid...CV2BQWC3EMWKU/

and Almost 50% of Mild Covid-19 patients have Symptoms 6 Months Later
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertg...h=5b36447f563f
    K

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    As a side note - my cousin who is an paramedic and his wife who is a PA decided to get vaccinated, but to get different brands. So, hopefully, if something happens with side effects, it will only be to one of them.

I think DH and I will probably do the same. I'm still torn about DS, and very, very glad he can stay home remote schooling and we don't have to decide yet.
    DH and I did the same, unintentionally. He received Pfizer and I received Moderna. I had hoped for Pfizer, but as I sat in the observation room after the shot I realized the upside is that if one of the brands has any unexpected side effects, only one of us will get them. I received the 1st Moderna shot only 2 days ago and I had very minimal pain in my arm (like any shot), but I’m kind of dreading the next one based on what I’ve heard about Moderna #2.

We’ve been extremely careful and very shutdown during quarantine. Two weeks ago we decided to do antibody tests on all of us just to see where we were at. To our complete shock, both my teen boys had COVID antibodies. We have no idea when they had COVID or where they might have contracted it. Neither me nor DD had them. I’m still dumbfounded how my boys contracted it given they’ve had very little contact with others, and that the rest of us didn’t contract it from them. The most disappointing part of it is that they both have congenital heart defects (one DS much more serious than the other). Out of all of the people in my family, they are the 2 who we hoped most wouldn’t contract it. I’m hoping they won’t have any long term impacts on their hearts. The one with the more serious heart condition has his regular echocardiogram in 2 weeks, so I’ll be anxiously awaiting those results.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3isEnough View Post
    DH and I did the same, unintentionally. He received Pfizer and I received Moderna. I had hoped for Pfizer, but as I sat in the observation room after the shot I realized the upside is that if one of the brands has any unexpected side effects, only one of us will get them. I received the 1st Moderna shot only 2 days ago and I had very minimal pain in my arm (like any shot), but I’m kind of dreading the next one based on what I’ve heard about Moderna #2.

We’ve been extremely careful and very shutdown during quarantine. Two weeks ago we decided to do antibody tests on all of us just to see where we were at. To our complete shock, both my teen boys had COVID antibodies. We have no idea when they had COVID or where they might have contracted it. Neither me nor DD had them. I’m still dumbfounded how my boys contracted it given they’ve had very little contact with others, and that the rest of us didn’t contract it from them. The most disappointing part of it is that they both have congenital heart defects (one DS much more serious than the other). Out of all of the people in my family, they are the 2 who we hoped most wouldn’t contract it. I’m hoping they won’t have any long term impacts on their hearts. The one with the more serious heart condition has his regular echocardiogram in 2 weeks, so I’ll be anxiously awaiting those results.
    I will say that we had the same, DH got Pfizer and I got Moderna. First shot, just a sore arm, maybe a little tired. I had my 2nd Moderna on Tuesday and it's kind of knocked me on my butt. Not as bad as some, but I've been exhausted, had the chills, and am just achy, slept a lot yesterday. Better today, but not feeling normal yet. My good friend had a fever for 2 days. Another friend had no side effects from the 2nd Moderna though. DH had no side effects other than the sore arm either time. Knowing about the Moderna shot, I made sure my schedule was clear for the 2 days after my 2nd. Glad I did.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 03-04-2021 at 11:27 AM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    I will say that we had the same, DH got Pfizer and I got Moderna. First shot, just a sore arm, maybe a little tired. I had my 2nd Moderna on Tuesday and it's kind of knocked me on my butt. Not as bad as some, but I've been exhausted, had the chills, and am just achy, slept a lot yesterday. Better today, but not feeling normal yet. My good friend had a fever for 2 days. Another friend had no side effects from the 2nd Moderna though. DH had no side effects other than the sore arm either time. Knowing about the Moderna shot, I made sure my schedule was clear for the 2 days after my 2nd. Glad I did.
    My sister’s Moderna side effects for the first shot were similar to yours for your second, and she made sure she says that she will make sure to take the next day off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Twowhat --- thank you for explaining the vaccines. Based on my state's current implementation plan, my kids and I are in the last group to get the vaccine.... I don't think I will have a choice... now I am less upset.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post

Some children and adults are also developing POTS, a form of dysautonomia, a chronic condition
    https://www.whio.com/news/post-covid...CV2BQWC3EMWKU/
    This is interesting. I was just in the ER with DS this morning because he passed out shortly after standing up. Two months ago we were at a checkup for sleep apnea and the dr looked at him and said "Do you get dizzy when you stand up?" DS said yes, as he had been mentioning it to me fairly often lately and I thought he was dehydrated. The dr said he probably had a mild case of POTS, as it's normal for kids going through puberty who have had growth spurts recently to develop it short term. He thought he'd outgrow it when his blood volume caught up. I honestly have no idea what even made him ask that question, maybe he saw something when he looked at DS? Or maybe it's a normal question for kids his age? But now I'm wondering since it came on kinda out of no where if we should get a covid antibody test just to see if we've had it. It wouldn't change anything, but I'm a curious person and I wonder if he could have had covid and this is a side effect. He has grown 6" in about 10 months and he is in puberty so I'm sure that's not it, but my brain thinks too much If I had seen this before I would have asked them to check his antibodies when they ran blood work.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    Ugh, I’m dreading the 2d shot. I’m still very grateful to get the vax, I just hope it doesn’t knock me out! I plan to clear my calendar for a day or 2 just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    In speaking with my niece tonight who is working as an occupational therapist with preschool children, she said she has not gotten the vaccine yet because of initial concerns that the vaccines in young, child bearing age women can cause difficulty conceiving later on? She also has endometriosis I think, so has concerns in general about the ability to get pregnant and doesn't want to complicate things farther. Is there any new research on this?
    The CDC discusses it in the myth portion (last paragraph), here is a joint statement by obstectrics/reproductive medicine/MFM groups, and a general overview on how this concern arose (and then spiraled out) is here at WebMD. It’s important to understand the background (similar, but not same, genetic coding of portion of protein in the virus and protein in the placenta) to wrap your head around why, without trials on the specific issue, they believe if there was a concern, it would be glaringly obvious by now in the millions and millions of fertile age women who have had antibodies either from being sick with Covid or the vaccine. There are trials now on pregnancy which will necessarily contribute data (because pregnancy/need a placenta) to the discussion and go a long way to reducing hesitancy, imo, because while there were women who became pregnant in the initial pfizer and Moderna trials, the mean age of participants was around 53 and you had to not be pregnant to participate. I’ve read about a study in process out of Miami but it may be limited to male infertility.

People who already have a fertility challenge and are concerned have a special place in my heart and I really fear them being lumped into a tin foil hat club by showing concern. It’s been a long time for me, but there’s absolutely no one more aware and/or paranoid about what one put’s in her body, from food to medication, than someone dealing with RPL or infertility.
    Last edited by specialp; 03-05-2021 at 09:20 AM.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My mom and MIL had the Moderna with zero side effects at all. I was shocked b/c my mother claims to have all the side effects from Tylenol and did not even get a sore arm. She was more tired than usual she says. . . So, I think that every person is so different, just like the virus, who knows what will happen when you get it. Could be nothing, could be everything.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3isEnough View Post
    Ugh, I’m dreading the 2d shot. I’m still very grateful to get the vax, I just hope it doesn’t knock me out! I plan to clear my calendar for a day or 2 just in case.
    I know so many people who have had both, and the side effects have been none to minimal for all but one (I work in a nursing home and have many friends in the industry, so I'd say hundreds of people)so I wouldn't be too concerned. If you can take those days it's great, but probably not necessary. We were glad it didn't impact us and we all got it on the same day (the pharmacy comes to the nursing homes to give the vaccine).

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast