Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    We were given info similar to this by our hockey coaches. If anyone was actually sick with Covid, they needed to follow guidelines and follow up with a doctor r.e. risk of myocarditis. None of the teens on our teams actually got sick, but we had a few test positive. I think it's something to consider for sure.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/r...from-covid-19/
    Do you know of any studies that show the number of people who have experienced heart problems due to COVID19? I’m wondering if it’s rare or a real possibility.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Any new stats on kids and Long Haul COVID19?

I work inpatient pediatric rehab on weekends at a children’s hospital. DS knows he is to always wear helmet skateboarding and to never get on an ATV. I’ll add “always wear a mask and keep 6’ distance” until he can get vaccinated. Our area still has large number of cases, and he’s 16 so can get Phizer shot once eligible. We won’t be doing any indoor crowded places like the movies or mall for awhile. That said, he will go back to in person school when allowed and last week he saw friends outdoors for first time in months. Outdoor and masked, I’m not worried. In-doors only if have too - school, dr etc. we’re close to when numbers will be less and more vaccines, would hate to mess that up now and he gets Covid when soon could’ve been vaccinated

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 03-02-2021 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Will you get your kids vaccinated once a vax is available for ages 17 and under? I’m just curious. We are really trying to figure out where the greatest risk is- long haul covid in kids or long-term side effects from the vaccine. It would be really easy for us to draw anecdotal conclusions. Almost everyone we know in our crazy, anti-masking community has had it. Only one has been hospitalized. I don’t want to base our decisions on anecdotal evidence though, which is why I’m looking for statistics.
    Yes, my kids will get vaccinated when it’s available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    I am particularly concerned about the heart damage. Any reports on that with kids? There was the college basketball player that had an emergency situation on the basketball court earlier this year, which was scary.
    If this is about the Florida player, his family has come out and said it wasn’t Covid related, although i’m not sure how they determined that.

DH and I will be eligible for vaccinations in a couple weeks due to underlying conditions. We’re definitely a little more out there anyway than many on this board. DS, 11, has been playing basketball locally all through the fall and winter. (They wear a mask, even during games.) His AAU season kicks off at the end of this month, which will involve travel, hotels and likely sometimes having to eat indoors, which we have avoided since early fall. But after having missed his season last spring, he didn’t want to sit out another, especially when the circuit is back up and running.

I realize that anything can happen to anyone, but I honestly feel a lot better knowing that DH and I will have our vaccinations all wrapped up by mid April, even sooner if we get the Johnson & Johnson version. I definitely feel better about resuming more parts of normal life. We’re even going to the beach for a week this summer with friends.

ETA: and yes, we plan to vaccinate DS when when it is available for kids. But he’s only 11, so who knows when that will be.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 03-02-2021 at 08:18 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DH and I have been struggling with this ourselves! We are both now fully vaccinated (yay!). We are looking forward to grandparents visiting us (they're halfway through their shots), but other than that we're not at a point that we're ready for doing much differently with our lives. That being said, my DDs have been in person school this entire year, so they've had more risk and exposure already than many on this board.
    Lizi

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Will you get your kids vaccinated once a vax is available for ages 17 and under? I’m just curious. We are really trying to figure out where the greatest risk is- long haul covid in kids or long-term side effects from the vaccine. It would be really easy for us to draw anecdotal conclusions. Almost everyone we know in our crazy, anti-masking community has had it. Only one has been hospitalized. I don’t want to base our decisions on anecdotal evidence though, which is why I’m looking for statistics.
    Yes, we will get our kids vaccinated. I'd do it now if I could. Heck, I'm sad we haven't heard back from the Moderna trial for DS to participate in, even though they said they'd call back when they got protocols.

ETA: I just got done watching the news and they said that they are seeing more and more kids with long haul covid. They said it may end up being that 10%-30% of kids have long covid like adults. Great.
    Last edited by MSWR0319; 03-02-2021 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    If this is about the Florida player, his family has come out and said it wasn’t Covid related, although i’m not sure how they determined that.
    If there was a congenital heart defect they didn't know about?

I work in ultrasound and have been to conferences from pediatric cardiologists that have said 60%+ of congenital heart defects are missed by ultrasound. That's usually the only time someone's heart is actually "looked" at unless they have obvious issues.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    If there was a congenital heart defect they didn't know about?

I work in ultrasound and have been to conferences from pediatric cardiologists that have said 60%+ of congenital heart defects are missed by ultrasound. That's usually the only time someone's heart is actually "looked" at unless they have obvious issues.
    Makes sense.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Yes, we will get our kids vaccinated. I'd do it now if I could. Heck, I'm sad we haven't heard back from the Moderna trial for DS to participate in, even though they said they'd call back when they got protocols.

ETA: I just got done watching the news and they said that they are seeing more and more kids with long haul covid. They said it may end up being that 10%-30% of kids have long covid like adults. Great.
    That is my concern, any of us getting a mild case but then developing long-term issues (I had read earlier this year that the majority of long haul cases were in healthy adults in their 40's who just had mild cases of Covid, which is both DH and I. Not sure if statistics still point to that age range for long haul cases). I asked the nurse practitioner my kids see at the pediatrician's office about her view on the vaccine for kids. She said her view may be biased as her husband died from Covid this past fall, but she is absolutely recommending the vaccine to her patients. She said she has had a pre-teen patient who had a stroke after a mild case of Covid and a college athlete who now has asthma like symptoms after a mild case and has difficulty with making it through 1 hr. training sessions. The long term heart and lung issues are what has me keeping us in our little bubble this long.

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    That is my concern, any of us getting a mild case but then developing long-term issues (I had read earlier this year that the majority of long haul cases were in healthy adults in their 40's who just had mild cases of Covid, which is both DH and I. Not sure if statistics still point to that age range for long haul cases). I asked the nurse practitioner my kids see at the pediatrician's office about her view on the vaccine for kids. She said her view may be biased as her husband died from Covid this past fall, but she is absolutely recommending the vaccine to her patients. She said she has had a pre-teen patient who had a stroke after a mild case of Covid and a college athlete who now has asthma like symptoms after a mild case and has difficulty with making it through 1 hr. training sessions. The long term heart and lung issues are what has me keeping us in our little bubble this long.
    My concern is a mild case and then developing long term issues. That’s why I’m not interested in the J&J vaccine for me. I’m not worried I’m going to die, but I am worried about the 66% efficacy against mild to moderate covid. That’s only 2/3...so 1 out of 3 chance I could get moderate covid?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast