Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...Rk4HCx7zNzcRLs

Refers to single center data out of Sweden and Italy you could look into to find specifics. Covid has been around for a year and kids were locked up quickly so I think it will be a while before we have large scale dependable #s on long covid in kids.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    My concern is a mild case and then developing long term issues. That’s why I’m not interested in the J&J vaccine for me. I’m not worried I’m going to die, but I am worried about the 66% efficacy against mild to moderate covid. That’s only 2/3...so 1 out of 3 chance I could get moderate covid?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Right now you know you’ll get either Pfizer or Moderna but once J&J releases more vaccines how will you know which vaccine you’re getting when you make your appointment?

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Right now you know you’ll get either Pfizer or Moderna but once J&J releases more vaccines how will you know which vaccine you’re getting when you make your appointment?
    In my state, you can call the individual locations to see which vaccine they have for the next 3 days to a week and they will tell you. You can't assume all Walmarts or Walgreens or county departments have the same because they do not. I help make appointments for people who are struggling with the portals and locating vaccines and I do the calls when there is a specific need for pfizer, which is much harder to find. I'm concerned that will change with J&J because there is much more hesitancy with that one.

In my state the portal tells you which vaccine is given at a site before you make an appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It will be awhile before I am eligible for the vaccine but I hope there are options when it’s my turn, as I’d prefer Pfizer Moderna as well. I read last night that in PA they are moving teachers from 1b to 1a now that J&J is available and that they are planning to use the first shipments of J&J to vaccinate teachers at specific locations, saving the other two vaccines for the rest of 1a that still needs vaccinated (healthcare workers, elderly, and immune compromised). If I were still teaching, I would have mixed feelings about this plan: Thankful to be able to get the vaccine sooner but also disappointed that it’s J&J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My state started giving out J&J yesterday. We’re in a rural area and they are available today 20 minutes from me. DH has his appointment tomorrow and right now it looks like it’s Pfizer. I’m hoping it stays that way.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    My concern is a mild case and then developing long term issues. That’s why I’m not interested in the J&J vaccine for me. I’m not worried I’m going to die, but I am worried about the 66% efficacy against mild to moderate covid. That’s only 2/3...so 1 out of 3 chance I could get moderate covid?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's hard for people to not fixate on that number. Every scientist is trained, and trained again, and reminded constantly throughout their careers, to never make cross-trial comparisons. Differences between how studies were conducted, the patient population, how endpoints were measured, and a whole bunch of other things contribute to differences in results.

In the US, I think the number for J&J is actually 72% (efficacy = protection against moderate/severe disease). Moderna and Pfizer measured efficacy differently ("symptomatic infection", I think). Those are two VERY different measures of efficacy. Also remember that the J&J study was conducted during the time period of emerging variants. The difference in circulating virus pool alone could make a big impact on efficacy. If you consider that the J&J study enrolled patients with these variants and STILL came out ahead with an efficacy rate of 72% in the US, that's FANTASTIC. I guarantee you if the Moderna and Pfizer studies were done at the exact same time as the J&J study, the results would be different.

All that's to say...get the first vaccine offered to you!!! J&J is conducting a study to see if an added booster could boost their efficacy (and in theory, it totally would). Also remember that the J&J vaccine, in trials, offered 100% protection from severe disease 49 days after the single dose tested. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. During a time of circulating variants. That is FANTASTIC, y'all!!!!

eta: I get your concern - and it's why we have to continue mitigation strategies. No matter which vaccine you get, you're at risk of contracting asymptomatic or mild disease and we don't know enough about long-term effects. Even though I'm fully vaccinated, I sure as hell still don't want to catch it. Now, I think that being vaccinated gives you a leg up on long covid. This hasn't been proven, but it would make sense that a faster, stronger immune response that takes control of the virus early and prevents it from causing as much damage as a natural infection would also translate to less risk of long-term effects.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 03-03-2021 at 10:27 AM.

My state will begin administering J&J today. At yesterday's press conference, the secretary of the state health department said she plans to receive J&J later this week and she's excited about the ease of it being one shot while still being very effective. It's clear she's being strategic about choosing that version and making a big announcement. Based on the press questions she and the governor were getting, a lot of people just don't want it, so state leaders are trying to change the narrative around it.

I'll be able to receive my vaccination at the end of the month, and if the J&J is the first one available to me, I think I'll take it.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also was one of the 'I dont want J&J' and got the pfizer on Monday (Thank you Lord!) Yesterday I read a study that the pfizer isnt working as well in the obese (me) which falls in line with something that my dr said. That combined with the fact that J&J is studying whether a 2nd shot would boost immunity even further makes me whether I would have been better off with one of the others.

With kids back in school, our state loosening restrictions ....... I'm feeling VERY thankful I got one at all. Now I need to decide what to do about my kids - dd1 is 15.5 - by the time there are shots available, she'll be 16.

I'm super scared about long term health effects of covid on them. In some ways, I think the long term effects of covid can be worse than dying if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by doberbrat; 03-03-2021 at 02:51 PM. Reason: for clarity
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    It's hard for people to not fixate on that number. Every scientist is trained, and trained again, and reminded constantly throughout their careers, to never make cross-trial comparisons. Differences between how studies were conducted, the patient population, how endpoints were measured, and a whole bunch of other things contribute to differences in results.

In the US, I think the number for J&J is actually 72% (efficacy = protection against moderate/severe disease). Moderna and Pfizer measured efficacy differently ("symptomatic infection", I think). Those are two VERY different measures of efficacy. Also remember that the J&J study was conducted during the time period of emerging variants. The difference in circulating virus pool alone could make a big impact on efficacy. If you consider that the J&J study enrolled patients with these variants and STILL came out ahead with an efficacy rate of 72% in the US, that's FANTASTIC. I guarantee you if the Moderna and Pfizer studies were done at the exact same time as the J&J study, the results would be different.

All that's to say...get the first vaccine offered to you!!! J&J is conducting a study to see if an added booster could boost their efficacy (and in theory, it totally would). Also remember that the J&J vaccine, in trials, offered 100% protection from severe disease 49 days after the single dose tested. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. During a time of circulating variants. That is FANTASTIC, y'all!!!!

eta: I get your concern - and it's why we have to continue mitigation strategies. No matter which vaccine you get, you're at risk of contracting asymptomatic or mild disease and we don't know enough about long-term effects. Even though I'm fully vaccinated, I sure as hell still don't want to catch it. Now, I think that being vaccinated gives you a leg up on long covid. This hasn't been proven, but it would make sense that a faster, stronger immune response that takes control of the virus early and prevents it from causing as much damage as a natural infection would also translate to less risk of long-term effects.
    Thank you for this. I've read it before but it wasn't sinking in. You are completely correct about the efficacy numbers. I've had my first Pfizer so I'm locked in but DH is eligible as of today. He could likely get the J&J and I'm feeling better about it. I, too, am most afraid of long covid, not death so I truly hope the vaccines will decrease the likelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    My state will begin administering J&J today. At yesterday's press conference, the secretary of the state health department said she plans to receive J&J later this week and she's excited about the ease of it being one shot while still being very effective. It's clear she's being strategic about choosing that version and making a big announcement. Based on the press questions she and the governor were getting, a lot of people just don't want it, so state leaders are trying to change the narrative around it.

I'll be able to receive my vaccination at the end of the month, and if the J&J is the first one available to me, I think I'll take it.
    I didn't watch the whole press conference and didn't realize she is getting the J&J this week. What a brilliant strategy and I hope other officials do the same. It could really help with J&J acceptance and prevent hold-outs for an mRNA vaccine.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast