Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    OMG, I showed him the email and said “look, your teacher thought you did a nice job today!” And he grabbed my mouse, used one of those Gmail canned reply buttons, and sent her back an email that said “that’s great to hear!” Before I even knew what he was doing.

So I guess that will be the reply.

This kid will be the death of me!!
    Missed this. That's cute.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    OMG, I showed him the email and said “look, your teacher thought you did a nice job today!” And he grabbed my mouse, used one of those Gmail canned reply buttons, and sent her back an email that said “that’s great to hear!” Before I even knew what he was doing.

So I guess that will be the reply.

This kid will be the death of me!!
    I love this. I think he feels good about it. I've had a 2nd grader that refused to practice his presentation and it was VERY rough. Sounds very different than what your DS did. DS still got told he "did a good job". I think there is a lot of variation in ability and effort in the younger grades. So long as the metrics for the assignment were met and there was some growth, I'm sure the teacher feels that it was fine. And I'm sure that it was fine!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Add me to the crew that think it was a positive email! Although my DDs teachers communicate regularly with parents as a whole, it is rare that they send an email directly to me alone related to a specific project or activity. I don't think that's common -- so I would take the fact that she sent an email at all (and the fact the words are positive) to mean your DS did a GREAT job! My best guess is that she really wanted to communicate the fact your DS did well, but has limited time and zero time to wordsmith or quickly throw more than a few words down, so she just wrote something quickly and sent it off. I would treat this much less like performance review wording and more like if you got a random and unexpected email from someone letting you know that one of your staff member had done something great lately and they wanted to take a second to recognize it.
    Lizi

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Looks like a standard comment she’s sending to each student. I would leave it alone.

Love that your DS responded to her. I'm impressed she sent out an email to the parents with feedback on an individual assignment. I'd read it as positive feedback, especially when you consider how many students she has x assignments.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was going to actually recommend that you respond back in a similar way that your DS just did!!! I think the teacher took the time out of her day to send the email because she thought he did a great job, and I would've responded "That's great to hear, thank you for letting me know! I will share this with DS. He will be thrilled since he worked so hard all weekend!"

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I would take it as a compliment and say thank you. You’re definitely reading too much into this. if your trainee got this evaluation too they would walk away thinking they did a good job and you were happy with their performance. If you didn’t mean that they did a good job, why write that?
    She could have been pressed for time and just wrote something quick. I assume he will bring home a grade with more comments at some point. I really think she just wanted to loop you in since you weren’t there and would want to know he did good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I totally agree.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    No matter how she meant it, I would have read it as enthusiastically as I could to my DS! He is a lot like your son so he doesn't get praised by teachers very often. Any little thing to boost his confidence would be awesome.

And maybe it's too late now, because he responded, but I would have replied with something like "I'm glad it went well-- he worked SO hard on it all weekend and truly gave his best effort."
    This is my exact take on it too. She could have (should have IMO) been more complimentary and more enthusiastic. I would let your DS know you think he knocked it out of the park in his prep and you are super proud of him.
    K

I wouldn't say anything since that's probably her communication style. I don't like it though since she could have easily included a smiley face and then you wouldn't be left to assume anything.

The thing that's a bit funny to me here is that I work for a large corporation and I very rarely send or receive an email that doesn't have a smiley face in it. I honestly get stressed out if there's not a smiley face in an email from my leader, which is probably ridiculous, but whatever.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2