basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Grey paint for floor and wall

Helping to redo a little 800 sq ft cottage. It has original 1940s wood floors which have historically been painted "battleship" grey. Going to add some coats of paint to the floor in something close to that original color, and looking for a coordinating wall paint in a much lighter shade. Trim will be white.

Any ideas of good neutral grey colors in a matching set?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What do the floors look like, do you have a picture? I am sorry but I am not imagining gray painted floors with a lighter gray wall to look good...if the floors are in decent shape (even if they're worn but the structure is good) and aren't super dark I would think you could refinish them to a wood tone, and a warm wood floor looks FABULOUS with a ton of different paint colors, gray and beyond...

eta: maybe the floor is already painted, in which case it would make sense to re-paint...let me think about this!

6228012F-0809-4835-AE2D-C338DD88A05F.jpg

Yes, the floor is already painted. It always has been. It's nailed in from the top so it can't be sanded. I can't really think of another color to paint it other than grey.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

For a cabin/cottage I would be tempted to do a dark green or dark blue for the floors, with pale cream walls.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Those are really cool floors. OK I thought about it and was thinking a creamy beige/putty so I went looking online and found this, which I think looks LOVELY with white walls. And for white paint colors I absolutely love BM Simply White. It's soft, with a touch of cream, and just looks so good everywhere in our house, including cabinets and built-ins.

https://www.lizmarieblog.com/2018/02...the-most-faqs/

Those are gorgeous but probably not going to fly with the owner

Thinking of BM Chelsea gray for floors, BM Ballet white for the walls, and simply white for the trim/ceilings. I have Ballet white in my kitchen/hallways and it’s a nice not white but not really a color.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post

Thinking of BM Chelsea gray for floors, BM Ballet white for the walls, and simply white for the trim/ceilings. I have Ballet white in my kitchen/hallways and it’s a nice not white but not really a color.
    Sorry I read too fast and didn't see you wanted to stick with gray I think Chelsea Gray is lovely since it has some warmth to it and Ballet White would be good for the walls.

Another recommendation if they want to go a little darker/warmer on the floors would be Kendall Charcoal and White Dove on the walls. Or Cloud White (White Dove went really yellow on my walls).
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You could just ask the paint store for a few shades lighter than the floor color. Grays can really clash so I would want to make sure it is at least the same tone.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post

I think that would look nice, doing a white/almost white for the walls and the chelsea gray for the floors if the owner wants to stick with that stronger/deeper gray. Another option for walls is to do just Simply White, but in a matte for the walls and a satin for the trim.