Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for recommendations on FaceTiming device for seniors

So I found one that looks good. It’s called viewclicks. It shows pictures and you can also call them on it.

Has anyone purchased anything like this?

Thank you for any help.

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Facebook portal is excellent. I don't think you can facetime with it, but you can videochat through facebook, zoom, etc. My inlaws with limited to no tech skills and notable memory loss can use it.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My brother got the Facebook portal for my grandparents. They are very limited in technology skills but they have been able to use it pretty well. Last week when I was chatting with my grandma I think an add popped up or she bumped the screen and a bunch of options came up for Pandora, etc and she didn’t know how to get rid of them, but then she must have touched the right thing because it went away. Other than that, she ha enjoyed using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don’t know that one but my IL’s like their Echo Show.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My dad is 70 and uses his iPad. My grandma is 91 and has done some cocktail Zoom parties on her really old computer. My mom (68) who doesn’t like using the iPad much even figured out how to do a Zoom meeting with our family when my Dad was visiting my grandma and wasn’t home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

My mom is almost 80 and uses FT on her ipad no problem.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think an iPad is the easiest to use for a senior. Put it in a charging stand, remove the screen lock, remove extra apps, make the icon and text size large, and set up Facetime by calling their FT contacts so when they open the app, those names will all be there. You can even disable sleep mode, so it will stay on all the time. So all a senior has to do is touch the FaceTime button then touch the name. You can also hook it up to their hearing aid, and it will automatically stream the audio there. And you can show them how to say "Her Siri, Facetime" if you think verbal cues would be better for them.

I also really like the Echo Show for video calls, but it is only to people with the Alexa app or another Show.
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My dad is 76 (as of last week). He Facetimes with the relatives who have Apple products and Zooms with those of us who don't using his iPhone. It took a bit to get all of that worked out, but it's worked well for us. I've considered getting him something bigger (tablet, etc) but he cancelled his internet service ten years ago, so everything he does is on data unless he's at my brother's house. (They're ALMOST close enough to have brother's wifi extend to my dad's house. And the whole cancelling internet service... *sigh* Let's just say he's stubborn.)
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Hi. Thanks everyone for the info. We decided to go with the view clix one. My mom is 86 and has dementia. She has never been able to do the smart phones, and now that we are seeing a decline, we wanted to do as simple as possible for her. Looks like this one is it. She doesnt have to touch anything for us to video chat with us.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccermomm View Post
    Hi. Thanks everyone for the info. We decided to go with the view clix one. My mom is 86 and has dementia. She has never been able to do the smart phones, and now that we are seeing a decline, we wanted to do as simple as possible for her. Looks like this one is it. She doesnt have to touch anything for us to video chat with us.
    After you’ve had some experience using it, please report back. This question comes up from time to time, and most people recommend using iPads and the like. It would be good to know about a simpler option for situations where it is appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast