JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Air purifiers needed for each room or will they do multiple rooms?

This is a little hard to describe so bear with me. I am looking into preparing for wildfire season and, as some of you may remember, last year, I had to bring my family to a hotel as my house was just not liveable. I want to be prepared with air purifiers and think I probably need to buy now. I cannot have a house-wide system installed as I have ductless heating, not central air. I have one Honeywell I bought last year. I know about fans and merv 13 filters and honestly do not find they work as well and am willing to spend the money for air purifiers.

My question--I know they probably do not go through closed doors, but my living room, family room, kitchen and dining areas are not separated by closed doors. There is a partial wall with door like sized pathways between them; this is so hard to explain. Anyway, I think I need a room sized purifer for bedroom, but am trying to decide what I need for the area with the multiple rooms I described. Feel free to ask questions so I can better describe this.

Also, I know we have had multiple threads on purifiers and I have read them, but if anyone wants to throw in their experience with specific models, please do so. I am leaning towards winix of coway. I thought of Alen, but dont know if that makes sense given I will need multiple units for my house.

Anyone following my should I sell my house saga, I have spoken to a real estate agent and mortgage broker. It is looking like that is not happnening at least in the near future. House inventory is so limited here and prices are way up. That would be good news as far as selling my house, but I am not really seeing anything I could afford that I would want to move into.

Any other wildfire smoke house proofing ideas are welcome as well! Thanks
    Last edited by JustMe; 03-06-2021 at 04:22 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Los Angeles here and after all the fires we now have air filters in every room-- 1 in each of the 4 bedrooms and a larger one in the living room.

Living room:
    Love that this one increases its speed automatically when it detects worsening air quality (like when I cook something that smokes)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKVS2N8...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Bedrooms:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZQCPRF...ing=UTF8&psc=1

This one is in DS2's room and I prefer the larger easier to clean filter in this one since you can vacuum it regularly before replacing.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TMWFSZ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Thank you, Latia! That is very helpful!

If you come back and read this, in my case would you buy an air purifier each for the dining room, kitchen, living room and family room. Hard to explain but imagine them sort of being in a square with an open door (no actual door) that connects them. Just wondering if a big air purifier would take care of these areas together (with the single ones for the bedrooms).
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post

If you come back and read this, in my case would you buy an air purifier each for the dining room, kitchen, living room and family room. Hard to explain but imagine them sort of being in a square with an open door (no actual door) that connects them. Just wondering if a big air purifier would take care of these areas together (with the single ones for the bedrooms).
    Can you make an estimate of the combined square footage of the DR/K/LR/FR? I’ve used room air purifiers for many years, and the labels always include the square footage each model is rated for (especially those brands that have a series of models for different sizes). Sometimes this info is included prominently, other times you have to dig for it, but it should be there. Usually mfrs suggest trying to match approximately to room sizes because a machine that is much too small or large will be less efficient.

Are the doorways the size of normal doors, or a good bit wider? This would probably affect air flow somewhat.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post

Can you make an estimate of the combined square footage of the DR/K/LR/FR? I’ve used room air purifiers for many years, and the labels always include the square footage each model is rated for (especially those brands that have a series of models for different sizes). Sometimes this info is included prominently, other times you have to dig for it, but it should be there. Usually mfrs suggest trying to match approximately to room sizes because a machine that is much too small or large will be less efficient.

Are the doorways the size of normal doors, or a good bit wider? This would probably affect air flow somewhat.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Thanks for the questions, NCGrandma. I would guess the square footage might about 700-800, and I do look at how much models indicate they cover.

I think the doorways and overall shape are what I am struggling with more, as I can figure the above out. I get that each model covers a certain amount of square footage, but not sure what happens when its not all the same room and not laid out in a way that makes for easy air flow. Imagine you would walk into what you can consider a family room if you walked in the front door and went straight. If you turned left instead you would enter a normal sized doorway (no door) and go to my living room, then if you follow that to your right and turn there is the kitchen which is pretty wide open (much wider than a door), but sort of perpendicular). If you make another right off of that room you will come to my dining room, which goes into the kitchen through a doorway sized entrance. Than in turn connects with the family room you also enter if you go straight when you enter the house. There is a wall in between the living room and dining room, but it does not go all the way through as the kitchen is on one end and the family room on the other. Not sure if that makes any sense at all, but I am trying to figure out if one large/extra large model would work for this kind of set up or if I need multiple units. I am thinking I may need one for the family room, one for the dining room (which is very small) or one that covers both of these. The living room probably needs its own and maybe the kitchen can be covered by the living room and dining room units combined? Ugh, who knows.

Oh, if you're not fully confused by my description if you turned right when you entered the house you would walk down the hallway of bathrooms and bedrooms.
    Last edited by JustMe; 03-07-2021 at 03:31 PM.

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I’d probably try to get away with one purifier sized appropriately for the square footage plus fans. Those fans that sit up in the corners of doorways would probably move enough air.