ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Super specific question on timing of COVID vax - any experts out there?

I received my first Pfizer dose @5:45pm on Friday, Feb 19

My second does is due on March 12. The problem is the city I got my vax from is apparently having supply issues, and I did not get an appt for my second dose. The nurse administering the vax said to wait until they contact me. It's less than a week out and I am not able to get in contact with them.

Weeks prior, I signed up with another county (where I work) for the vax. They finally opened up appts today, and the only day they are offering the Pfizer vax is on Monday, March 8.

Assuming they even let me get the 2nd shot (I've read that some places won't administer the 2nd if you got the 1st somewhere else)...

Would you:

1. Try to get the 2nd dose on Monday. As i understand it, that puts me maybe juuust within the 4 day grace period*, i.e., given on day 17 after the first vax. *Though technically, the appt is at noon, so it's actually ~5 hours earlier than day 17 -- so does that invalidate things? It seems they're not documenting the actual time/hour of vax., just the date/day. I'm wondering if there will be negative consequences (less effective, more side effects, etc.) for getting the vax early.

2. Wait and just hope to get the appt. from my original provider, despite the fact that there are rumors they did not reserve enough for dose #2.

3. Other?

Complication - I have airplane tickets booked for Sat the 27th. Ideally, I would like to be past the 2-weeks-post-vax before I travel.

Thanks!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Depending on where you live, I'd start stalking CVS for appointment times - they allow scheduling for second dose only but it's very dependent on what they get and where whether you'll be able to get an appt for a Pfizer 2nd dose. But, I would try (and basically check often, as availability changes frequently - CVS is getting all 3 available vaccines but what they get varies from week to week).

My county, due to the arctic storms, fell behind on second doses but then prioritized catching up on second doses once they were able to start vaccinating again. Check to see if your city plans to do that. I've found FB to be a good source of info, just be sure to verify any "rumors". We have a local FB group which has been SUPER helpful. If they will prioritize second doses, then it may be better to wait, even if your second dose comes a week late. In general, it's best to get your second dose where you got your first. In general. And in general, late is better than too early.

I personally wouldn't be super worried about getting the 2nd dose 4 days early but since there's no trial data on that, then...there's no trial data on that. In THEORY it's fine as long as your second dose is at least 2 weeks after your first. In theory. But I think I'd pick this option last.

My gut says you should be able to get your second dose within a week following March 12, if you're not able to get it on March 12. And I would also say we're a little too far out for your city to be able to tell you now whether they'll have enough doses...I think they'll know better 1-2 days prior.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 03-06-2021 at 08:05 PM.

I am not an expert but I do work for two different hospital systems and one hospital system was letting people schedule the second Pfizer dose anywhere from day 17-25 or something like that. The other hospital group was super specific and was only letting people schedule it on day 21. I got it on day 19. (Dec.26 and Jan.14 were my days.) The hospital group I was in thought it was fine (obviously). I googled it but didn't really find much except that from the trials I don't think everyone got their second dose on exactly day 21 but that was the average and what they officially went with. I would get it day 17 if it were me.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would check vaccinefinder.org and see if you can find a pharmacy closer to you with the Pfizer shot. Then book an appointment and you can cancel the second one if they make you book both. Around here, Walgreens and Rite Aid both have Pfizer but I know it varies by area. CVS, Walmart, Kroger, Giant Eagle all are givings shots as well, so check there if you have them in your area.

I would be sure that the alternate location will give you dose #2 if you did not receive dose #1 there. Some sites/regions/states are very specific about this. But, as others have said, perhaps this is loosening up. For example, my DH (educator) had to get his doses at a local HS site (set up by the county health department) but they would not let any of the teachers get second dose at the county health department’s mega site, even if the online appointment system let you schedule at the mega site.

Seriously, could the whole vaccine distribution be any more convoluted? Hope you get your second dose soon!

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Thanks. An appt opened up for Wed (Day 19) and I going with that! Fwiw - when I asked my MD friend re: Day 17 or possibly not getting it on time (Day 21), she said Day 17 for sure.

As for whether they will give me the second dose only, yes - that is a possibility. But I know our local Kaiser is giving the second dose to those who received first dose somewhere else. Kaiser offered it for me, too, but it would be late (well past day 21).

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    Thanks. An appt opened up for Wed (Day 19) and I going with that! Fwiw - when I asked my MD friend re: Day 17 or possibly not getting it on time (Day 21), she said Day 17 for sure.

As for whether they will give me the second dose only, yes - that is a possibility. But I know our local Kaiser is giving the second dose to those who received first dose somewhere else. Kaiser offered it for me, too, but it would be late (well past day 21).
    Walgreens scheduled me on day 19 (it will actually be more like day 19 1/2) for my 2nd dose of Pfizer. I was concerned about that, but was reassured that it would be okay.