Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default What would you do?

Ds1 who’s a junior and attending a school online this year, had an opportunity to take an AP history class. Our in-person school doesn’t offer AP classes although it’s known to be a very rigorous school. He took the class and is doing well although the professor offering the class only grades as a pass/fail because the primary reason for the class is to prepare the students to take the corresponding AP exam. We have come to find out that accommodations are probably not being offered for either date or the exam. Ds1 is dyslexic with slow processing speed. He’s been given extra time accommodations for his ACT test and he’s usually needs them. He just requires more time to finish tests. But he likely won’t get them for the AP test. Would you have him take it? He said he doesn’t care either way. He’d like to do whatever will give him the best advantage. As a bit of background info, neither his in-person school or online school has a career or college counselor. HIS PARENTS are his college/career counselor so it’s not a matter of letting him work it out on his own with a counselor at school. TIA.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’d have him take it. You never know how he’ll do. It’s nice to have some potential AP credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree have him take it. He could do well and get the credit. If not its another test experience.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

cheme is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I’d have him take it. There is no requirement to report AP test scores to colleges. There is a section where you can put the scores in, but you can leave some or all of them out. If he takes it and does well, you can report it. If he doesn’t take it, or doesn’t do well, you wouldn’t report it.

My dd took several ap tests, but didn’t take others. When reporting her scores, I was worried that colleges would think she did badly on the tests that weren’t reported, when in reality she hadn’t even taken the test. So, she ended up not sending any ap scores to most colleges. It hasn’t seemed to matter, she has gotten a lot of merit offers at many schools, though she did report her high act score.

See if you can find an alternate testing site. I have done that with DS. I would drive a couple of hours if it meant getting the accommodations. Do you have a letter from the College Board saying he gets those accommodations?
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agree about checking alternate test sites. Locally a lot of people self study APs but our school system stopped giving them options to test - they get on a waitlist – so they’ve been reaching out to other school districts who are willing to take them.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    See if you can find an alternate testing site. I have done that with DS. I would drive a couple of hours if it meant getting the accommodations. Do you have a letter from the College Board saying he gets those accommodations?
    I would also look for a place that will honor his accommodations. DS1 got to have accommodations for both the SAT and for the AP tests.

cheme is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

With the exams being offered online on two different days, I’m surprised that he can’t do one of those and have the extra time? Our school is allowing kids to choose if they want to take it online or in person, so as long as college board has approved his accommodation, it should be easy to get if you register for the online test.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Take the test. But fight to find a place offering accommodations.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    This is a good idea. Yes, he has a letter giving approval for accommodations.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast