Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default How did you qualify for your covid vaccine?

My Instagram and FB have been blowing up with photos of people I know getting their vaccines. Most of my social media friends work in healthcare or are in education and one friend works as a paralegal for Los Angeles County; plus people here posting they were getting it. So for the past few weeks I have had a horrible feeling of FOMO because it seemed like everyone but myself couldn’t qualify for a vaccine. I know this sounds incredibly selfish and may sound just awful but I was able to secure a covid vaccination spot last Friday for myself for this coming Friday through my insurance because they finally opened up what is considered 1C qualifications. I was able to qualify as an essential government employee/finance and because I am “obese” by my insurance company’s standard. I don’t agree with it at all and have been overweight by their standards since I was 22, but I have no other comorbidities that come with being overweight and while I know I do need to lose some weight I don’t consider myself obese. I also think that their idea of finance is bank tellers and people who work in person all day everyday, but my reasoning for me is that I provide benefits for people at times who cannot provide for themselves because they have been injured at work.

My DH doesn’t qualify because he is not obese, but his employment of safety/environmental engineer now qualifies.

ETA: I also have had asthma issues in the past, if they have been under control for the last 5 years. Asthma was not on the questionnaire.

I am getting the Pfizer vaccine. I would’ve taken any that was offered though.

I don’t need super specifics just curious overall. I know we have a lot of teachers and healthcare workers here. My BMI is 30 and has been for the last 12 years.

Here is Kaiser’s BMI and healthy weight charts:
    https://mydoctor.kaiserpermanente.or...cm75-14203.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-07-2021 at 05:35 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

2+ comorbidities group though I would be eligible next week from the k-12 set as well.

Are you wanting the exact reasons?

Eta: no one asked what my reasons were .... though to be fair, pretty sure they can take 1 look at me and figure out one of them.....

I have heard complaints that some people were questioned regarding what specific comorbidities they had. But I dont think they are supposed to.
    Last edited by doberbrat; 03-07-2021 at 03:12 PM.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I qualified as a teacher. I made an appointment with Walgreens, and they didn’t even ask for proof. Just my driver’s license.

I manage an OP clinic in a hospital setting.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Annie, go and get your vaccine if you qualify and do not feel a lick of guilt!!! Shots in arms.

If it makes you feel any better, the big hospital system here was accepting BMI over 25 as a qualifying factor for a while.

I have asthma and DH has a heart condition. I initially felt a little guilty because there are people with far worse kinds of comorbidities but you will drive yourself crazy overthinking it.

GO GET YOUR SHOT!

And then, if you really need something to make you feel better, offer to help someone who isn't tech-savvy secure an appointment. Drive an elderly lady to her appointment. Volunteer at a vaccine site...
    Last edited by twowhat?; 03-07-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD qualified via her volunteer job. Also LA county and she said they didn’t even check her letter for proof. They’ve been virtual for a year but maybe that will change now.
    I had mixed feelings about this initially since I feel it should go to those who are truly at risk first, but now I’m glad. We just need to get the vaccines out so, if you qualify, don’t feel bad.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I checked the March 15 rollout and asthma isn’t on the list. I have mild to moderate asthma - I’m not sure when that will come up in California.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I checked the March 15 rollout and asthma isn’t on the list. I have mild to moderate asthma - I’m not sure when that will come up in California.
    The list of qualifying factors (at least in TX) varies by provider. Not sure about CA. But TX is doing it a little weird...there are lots of 1b who qualify here now...

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i was wondering same thing! DH thought the same as you- he felt bad for being able to get it in when he can work from home. DH qualifies due to his BMI/being overweight. I had to beg him to sign up. So he got his first dose. i was concerned as he has sleep apnea

i don't qualify for anything yet, have no idea when i will get it. i know a lot of people are driving 2-3 hours to areas of rural Texas to get it. I do think a lot of people are getting it who are not qualified, but then again, the system for rollout here is kinda ****ty so it's not like not getting it will somehow make things better, if that makes sense.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH was originally in group 2 in our state with 1 medical condition. But early on they rearranged the groups and he is now group 4 which is scheduled to start 3/24. He has had some serious anxiety and mental issues around Covid fear so did some research and decided today to go to a place and sit and wait for a cancellation or end of day extras. He has also had to postpone treatment for his condition as he has to have a certain amount of time between treatment and getting the vaccine. He got a shot within an hour of being at a vaccine site today. I don’t know if it was a no show or exactly how it happened. On one hand I feel guilty because even though it could have been a wasted dose he now has the 2nd dose scheduled which is technically taking away from those in the qualifying group. On the other hand I am grateful he got it and he would have qualified in 2 weeks anyway and for now my state has enough supply. 5 more weeks then I am hopeful he will start to be in a better place mentally.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast