bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Something nice to bring to music teacher?

DS2's violin has gone above and beyond to help him prepare for his latest COM exam. We've sent her dozens of recordings of his pieces and she always listens to them and gives positive feedback at absolutely no extra charge! I'd like to do something nice for her. We have been zooming only with her for the past year (so we don't go to her home anymore). Do you have any suggestions for something that we can give her for her extra help? We usually pay for lessons with Venmo. I suppose I could just Venmo her some cash? Otherwise something like an amazon GC? How much would you give? A regular lesson costs $32 an hour.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd probably get a gift certificate - either Amazon or somewhere local if you know where she might like (although this is definitely harder right now!) -- I'm normally opt for a restaurant GC, but right now that's a little dicey. I would have DS write a nice thank you note/appreciation note along with the GC and then swing by her house sometime and drop it in her mailbox.
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    I'd probably get a gift certificate - either Amazon or somewhere local if you know where she might like (although this is definitely harder right now!) -- I'm normally opt for a restaurant GC, but right now that's a little dicey. I would have DS write a nice thank you note/appreciation note along with the GC and then swing by her house sometime and drop it in her mailbox.
    Thank you! This is totally what I'm thinking. A friend of mine actually just started a local music store. Do you think it would be bad form to buy a GC to my friend's store for the teacher? The teacher is a professional musician. She might have preferred places to buy stuff but I'm sure she has expenses for music, strings, etc. What do you think? I don't have a huge budget but I was thinking at the very least something similar to the cost of an hour's lesson? Amazon would allow her a lot more flexibility though...Would love thoughts!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like the idea of the gift card to the local music store—very thoughtful! I also would buy her some flowers and leave them on her porch when she was home to receive them along with a note from your DS.
    K

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I love the music store idea! Anything related to buying local is great to me, and the fact it's music related is great. If you were giving a huge amount I'd be more cautious about a specialized store (in case they don't have a way to spend that much), but giving a smaller amount like you're considering I'm confident she can easily find something she wants/likes there -- and will deeply appreciate the sentiment!
    Lizi

Thank you guys! That's what I'll do! GC to local music store (also supports my friend!), along with flowers and a note.