Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

DH and I qualify because we have one or more co-morbidities. That group opens later this month. But we found out last week that DH's industry qualifies in the essential/frontline worker category, even though DH works from home. Our state is opening a FEMA clinic in our city later this week. Friday night, I was looking over the website and saw several appointments open toward the end of the week, so I grabbed one for DH. He's a bit uneasy, but I'm making him go. As I mentioned, he has a couple of underlying conditions, weight being one. He's also Latino, and there has been a lot of talk about vaccination equity, so this lets the state check another box. And finally, I like that we'll be able to stagger our vaccinations. If one of us ends up having reactions that put us down for a day or so, the other one can still take care of DS and keep the household going.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default How did you qualify for your covid vaccine?

I got the vaccine back in December through part-time hospital work. The hospital I work at had a very efficient roll out and my job category was in their first round. I felt guilty as know others work full-time in health care and they were still waiting with their employers. My supervisor said to get it as didn’t know when it would be available again. I work up to an hour with patients, closer than 6’, and often their parent is with us - patients can’t always wear a mask for my work either. I wear mask and face shield. I also would’ve been eligible late Jan through the county and again this last week through school district.

Get it as soon as you can. The more people that can get it, the better for us all.

We’re waiting on DH to be eligible. That may be another 1-2 months. I’m now the only one that goes into a store etc and I double mask. Trying to keep him and DS safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 03-07-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have an autoimmune disease and qualified under our 1A. I just received my second dose. It is the wild west here and my friend's mom is traveling 1.5 hours to get a J&J shot because she couldn't find one closer. I know lots of people who are just cutting the line but it is Hunger Games so I get it. It was recently announced that the state did not allocate enough vaccine for SEPA, which is where most of PA residents live. Hopefully, that will get straightened out and it will be only a matter of time until everyone can get one without spending hours on websites looking for appointments as I did in January.

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been volunteering with the vaccination effort here, so got the vaccine early on. They were giving the extra "waste" doses in the vials to the volunteers. As time has gone on, most people volunteering have been vaccinated, so that isn't really an option for them now. There was also like a single week where they got serious about it only being eligible people who got waste doses, and actually sent volunteers out in the neighborhood to knock door to door and find some eligible people. Not the best plan. Since then, the city built a robust vaccination registration system with a wait list. The waitlist is for both eligible and ineligible people, as it will identify when you are eligible and automatically call/email you for an appointment when that happens. So the city started using that wait list to call people for waste doses. At first, they would focus on eligible people who did not have an appointment yet, but since all the federally-sourced distribution points like Walgreens and Walmart have entered the scene, lots of eligible people who were on the wait list with the city actually got earlier appointments elsewhere. So that method was taking too long when they needed to quickly dispense doses at the end of the day. Now the system identifies wait list people closest to the distribution point (the city runs small PODS all over, in the effort to target underserved neighborhoods), and calls them for waste doses, regardless of eligibility.

In this past week, with the addition of J&J, I think the supply definitely exploded suddenly beyond the scope of the currently eligible group. Like they expected teachers to take until the end of the month to get all who were interested vaccinated, and they think now teachers will all have gotten the chance to be vaccinated by the end of this week. Because of that outpace of supply, there are people cancelling appointments or not showing up because they got the shot sooner elsewhere, leading to a lot of waste doses. Virtually everyone is saying that if you go to the hospital-run mass sites or a Walmart at the end of the day, you can get vaccinated, regardless of eligibility. At this point, I think it has gone beyond just waste doses, and they are just trying to use up all the shots they have been allocated. Now, there have been some reports of J&J supply issues (they thought they would continue to get J&J but won't get any more until the end of March, it seems) and the governor is no doubt about to open up to another large group. So I expect the waste doses will be slowing down again. But we are definitely at a point where if you want to put the legwork into getting the shot, you can get the shot.
    Last edited by hwin708; 03-07-2021 at 07:01 PM.
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Agriculture
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Healthcare for me (RN) and DH is scheduled for Wednesday as an essential worker that must be at work in-person in an eligible industry. He is getting vaccinated much sooner than we had anticipated but out state is doing a reasonably good job with distribution.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hwin708 View Post
    But we are definitely at a point where if you want to put the legwork into getting the shot, you can get the shot.
    I feel like I've signed up for so many lists, but it doesn't seem like putting in the legwork is working in my area. I'm sure it is in some places, and I'm happy that it's working for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    I feel like I've signed up for so many lists, but it doesn't seem like putting in the legwork is working in my area. I'm sure it is in some places, and I'm happy that it's working for some people.
    In our area just being on a list is basically pointless. They are just opening up appointments online and letting them fill up so you need to check online regularly for appointments. That's how everyone I know has gotten them except healthcare,etc.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    In our area just being on a list is basically pointless. They are just opening up appointments online and letting them fill up so you need to check online regularly for appointments. That's how everyone I know has gotten them except healthcare,etc.
    Oh it's pointless here too! It's just the only thing I can do until it's my turn. I can't wait in a giant physical line of cars for hours hoping for anything extra for days on end when I need to work/be home for the kids to do school.

I got my vaccines Dec.26 and Jan.14th and I hesitated a lot too, not because of being in the early phases of a new vaccine, but because I felt bad getting one when I only work a few times a month (at most) in healthcare. (I'm PRN and literally made $5000 last year for the entire year working in two different big health systems, probably worked less than ten days the entire year.) BUT, when I do work, I'm right in someone's face for an extended amount of time (30ish minutes) our area has no regulations for covid anymore and has barely ever had any and I have had patients constantly trying to sneak their masks off when my attention is turned. Plus my mom in her 60s is my healthcare so I was hoping it made it less likely if I caught it to pass it on to her. I am glad I got it, it's not just for me, but for my patients as well... just last week I worked and had a patient very high risk that hasn't been able to get a vaccine yet so I was glad to have the peace of mind that I likely wouldn't inadvertently give it to them.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast