Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    That's crazy! Here type 1 qualified almost immediately, but not type 2 (and still technically doesn't). People with type 2 were getting shots because the screeners from most pharmacies only listed diabetes, so anyone could get it.
    In Missouri Type 1 doesn't qualify yet. I talked a friend (who works on a college campus who has an insulin pump and a husband who nearly died from a major heart attack a couple years ago) into just signing up and if they asked say she has diabetes. (She does, but type 1.) Especially considering I just read yet another story about 7500 vaccines going unused in rural counties + of the vaccines they do use, at least 20% of the doses are from people driving 100+ miles to get them. It's so messed up. (https://fox2now.com/news/more-than-7...lines+03082021)
    Last edited by AngB; 03-08-2021 at 09:52 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

As of today, pretty much any underlying condition in Iowa counts now, and pharmacies aren’t asking for documentation. (BMI over 25, high blood pressure, asthma, etc.). Before it opened up, many rural counties had plenty of vaccine doses. So now people are driving 1-2 hours to get vaccinated. I got mine today. I get asthma whenever I get an upper respiratory infection, and I have a history of pneumonia (hospitalized for 5 days during H1N1). I drove out to Trump county to get mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH and I qualified as health care workers in December. My dad got his from his hospital, despite not having direct patient care responsibility, in late December. My mom got hers once 65+ opened up in Massachusetts. We are still working through 65+, 2+ health conditions, and teachers though. So my brother with type I DM doesn’t qualify, and wouldn’t strictly qualify in the next phase either since they are only listing type II DM as a high risk condition.

Supposedly, Massachusetts has one of the highest % first dose vaccinated, so it feels weird that other states are vaccinating people “lower” on the priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Supposedly, Massachusetts has one of the highest % first dose vaccinated, so it feels weird that other states are vaccinating people “lower” on the priority list.
    Does this mean there are a lot of people "higher" on the priority list who haven't gotten the vax yet in other states?
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Does this mean there are a lot of people "higher" on the priority list who haven't gotten the vax yet in other states?
    Yes! Our situation in Iowa is that the rural areas have availability but not the urban areas. But the governor just opened it up and only gave pharmacies 10 min advance warning (I’m not exaggerating.). At first Polk county (where Des Moines is) was going to limit availability to the earlier priority group, but the pharmacies scrapped that idea since it was too complicated. I think the county health department is still limiting their events to teachers and 65+
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Not in Mass., but I think the answer has to be “yes” given the number of vaccines compared to those eligible. I am in a group which helps 65+ find vaccines so that is the only group I watch, but our % of 65+ population vaccinated and the % of vaccinations going to 65+ was abysmal, yet better than other states I found and has improved. 81% of covid deaths are 65+, but they are pushed out of the vaccination process unless they live in a congregate setting or are employed in an eligible group meaning it is their employment, not their age and health, most likely to get them a vaccine. We are not as open as others here have mentioned, but it is already so difficult for this group.
    Last edited by specialp; 03-09-2021 at 09:27 AM.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post

Other states don't have the same priority list. Our state is going pretty much by age, after healthcare workers/first responders/long-term care. There are a few conditions that can get in earlier, but it is not a long list and they are not common conditions. As more vaccine shipments become available and appointments open up, they open to lower age brackets.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

There was an SNL sketch about the absurdities in how each state had a different priority list. On one hand I assume each state’s population needs are different hence the need for different lists. But on the other hand I feel like it could have been more streamlined and organized from a national level. It’s such a hodgepodge now. It doesn’t help that my state keeps changing who is in what priority group.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    Not in Mass., but I think the answer has to be “yes” given the number of vaccines compared to those eligible. I am in a group which helps 65+ find vaccines so that is the only group I watch, but our % of 65+ population vaccinated and the % of vaccinations going to 65+ was abysmal, yet better than other states I found and has improved. 81% of covid deaths are 65+, but they are pushed out of the vaccination process unless they live in a congregate setting or are employed in an eligible group meaning it is their employment, not their age and health, most likely to get them a vaccine. We are not as open as others here have mentioned, but it is already so difficult for this group.
    Here the proportion of those aged 70+ who are vaccinated or scheduled is 70% or more, which is getting close to the percentage who are willing to get vaccinated. For 60-70 it is 56%. (ETA - originally had 65-70, but realized it was 60-70 at 56%)
    Last edited by o_mom; 03-09-2021 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Typo
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    Here the proportion of those aged 70+ who are vaccinated or scheduled is 70% or more, which is getting close to the percentage who are willing to get vaccinated. For 65-70 it is 56%.
    Better than us! Does the "scheduled" part mean scheduled for the 2nd shot of the 2 shot vaccines or any- 1st or 2nd? To understand why I ask: My mother lives in a different area than me and was on five different waiting lists since the beginning. One finally scheduled her to begin vaccination in March, then they canceled and rescheduled her for .... JULY. She is 70+ with several health issues and they scheduled her for July. I'm sure that would have changed had we not abandoned the waiting lists (she has since begun vaccination), but I'm curious where that scenario would have landed her in the statistic. That experience made me skeptical of how #s are calculated to make stats look better.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast