Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Decluttering Parents...

My parents AND my in-laws are downsizing. I understand. They are both in big empty houses full of stuff. I can completely understand the impulse to get rid of things--both for better living and also for the inevitable moment when it falls to their children to go through their things upon their passing. BOTH sets of parents seem to like to give my children stuff from their home. I do think they are trying to be kind but honestly most of the stuff is just not that special. Except once it is offered to my kids they NEVER want to get rid of it.

I guess you could say I'm in my own cycle of perennial downsizing. We have 6 people in 1200 feet and at least 4 of them never want to throw anything. It makes me want to tear my hair out!

The latest is that my mom is giving my daughter a special doll that she made for my childless sister. It was made with a lot of love, for sure, but it isn't particularly sentimental to ME. I don't think DD will play with it much but I also have a feeling we might never be able to part with it!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You have my extreme sympathy!!! Both my parents and DH's parents are doing the same things to us. I think part of it is that it's really hard to let go of things -- when they (the grandparents) can "give away to family" instead of just getting rid of something, it makes is much easier for them to get rid of things. DH's parents mostly have things they want to give to us, not the kids. I always tell DH just to take it and say thank you -- and that we can happily and much more easily move it along than his parents can.

My parents often come up with things they think my kids will like, though, and yes, that certainly is trickier! At this point I have asked them to please give things to me instead of directly to my DDs. That helps me intercept things that have no business being given to a small child, and/or also takes some of the "oh, but I don't want to get rid of it, Grandma gave it to me!" out of it.

Good luck.....
    Lizi

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can't even imagine. My mom was the exact opposite. She was ruthless. Constantly throwing out all sorts of sentimental things just because she had a dumpster and why not. I swear my dad was begging her to save some pictures from his childhood and she was willing to throw those out too, notwithstanding, she had a professional scan all of their pictures onto a drive. She just does not care. When we said goodbye to their house, I was crying and my mom went: "boo hoo" in that sing songy voice people use to mock someone. She apologized later saying she had been sad earlier but had made her peace. Anyway, I think I would intervene and just start throwing stuff out and/or refusing anything.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I can't even imagine. My mom was the exact opposite. She was ruthless. Constantly throwing out all sorts of sentimental things just because she had a dumpster and why not. I swear my dad was begging her to save some pictures from his childhood and she was willing to throw those out too, notwithstanding, she had a professional scan all of their pictures onto a drive. She just does not care. When we said goodbye to their house, I was crying and my mom went: "boo hoo" in that sing songy voice people use to mock someone. She apologized later saying she had been sad earlier but had made her peace. Anyway, I think I would intervene and just start throwing stuff out and/or refusing anything.
    Oh my gosh! My mom grew up with nothing. Her parents saved nothing from her childhood. So she's been so scrupulously careful about preserving our "special" things. Turns out most of us are pretty unsentimental. But I'm sure it would feel differently if there was nothing left!

I like the idea of being the gateway to getting things into the house. Or even offering to get rid of things for my parents.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My dad hasn't done this, but my brothers and DH's brothers do it all the time. OH! Little one is a girl and my daughter liked ALL these things when she was your age so we're going to give her large tub of stuff when you come to visit and tell only the kid & just leave it in your vehicle! I'm good with clothes (hand me downs are wonderful) and if I was asked about the stuff I'd be okay with SOME of it. But finding a tote full of half used art supplies in the back of my car when I go to load something into it is NOT GOOD!
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My dad started clearing out his stuff before his hip replacement; he had a lot of family items, like news clippings of his cousin the ballet dancer (Nana's cousin Walter's daughter Susan ... convoluted, I know, but she was still listed as an emerita dance instructor at NYC Ballet until a few years ago!) or crumbling church documents all in German from his grandmother (or, judging by the date, possibly HER mother; incidentally, the document was written in the US, there having been a thriving German community where Nana Koch was born) ... and it hurt to have all these things in poor condition but saved anyway.

I scanned a lot of the paper, took my own things, and tossed a lot more.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do have to say - use this as an opportunity to ask for anything you DO want. If they get rid of something that means a lot to you, that would hurt. Also, by taking things you want, you may get less of things you don't!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A friend just posted this and I immediately thought of this thread: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...your-treasures

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My MIL threw out so many of my husband's favorite childhood things - skateboards, Jordans! etc. Now she's worried about anything that she's getting rid of so occasionally a box of old comic books shows up from UPS on our doorstep. She silently ships it across the country from her giant house to our tiny Southern California house without mentioning it.

My FIL saved all of my husband's old Star Wars toys and eventually we need to get them. Those I'll make room for!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My mom is starting to mentally dole things out and I hurt her feelings by saying I’d didn’t want this giant desk that has great sentimental value to her but really none to me. I have no where I’d want to put it. I’ve talked her out of other things but this was the first I think she really cared about.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast