Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Suggestions on Backpack for me?

I've been casually looking for a backpack and just haven't quite decided what I want. I thought I would throw it out there to ya'll since you probably have some good recommendations.

This would be carried a couple times a week to school where I work in a preschool classroom. I will also use it for traveling, as I need my laptop with me wherever I go for writing. These are the features I need:

*at least one or preferably two water bottle pockets that are pretty deep.

*padded laptop compartment/pocket

*decent room inside for a lunchbag, my very slim crossbody purse, and whatever other essentials.

*would love it to have a good bit of structure, standability would be a plus

*comfortable to carry

*budget-friendly!

*somewhat easy clean/stain resistent or just a good stain-hiding color!

I don't necessarily need to to be "adult" looking....or do I? Is it weird for me to just get a Northface and call it good? Should I try *not* to look like a student?

Thanks for any suggestions!

My son’s pre-k teacher always carried her stuff to school in a college student looking backpack (Jansport or similar). She has college aged kids herself. I always thought it was practical, not weird. I say get whatever you like that fits your needs!

The only time I have really tried to NOT wear or carry things that look like a student was during about the first 5 years working as a university lecturer when I was late 20’s to very early 30’s and could have easily passed for a student myself. Now I am late 30’s and definitely don’t look like a student and no longer care nearly so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

"I don't necessarily need to to be "adult" looking....or do I? Is it weird for me to just get a Northface and call it good? Should I try *not* to look like a student?"

I doubt the preschoolers are carrying TNF bags.

We've always had good luck with LLB. But I would start at Marshalls and TJ Maxx and see if anything looks good. I can't imagine a name brand really matters if it has the features you want.

doberbrat is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Samsonite Outlab. I've used it daily for at least 4 years Probably closer to 5. (I walk or ride my bike to work). I can carry my laptop, folders, some daily junk and the occasional 12pk of coke. Still looks great. Pretty sure it came from BJs. For sure it isnt stylish but I prefer being safe and comfortable to ride my bike than looking good.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've used Jansport since high school and there's a lot to be said about them, but I find their quality has been really hit-or-miss over the years. My current backpack is a freebie from one of DH's former employers because the zippers for my last Jansport are finicky ... and the Jansport doesn't have a water bottle pocket.

I bought DD an LLB backpack when she was in Kindergarten and she's still using it; we may replace it for middle school and will expect it to last through high school. I don't remember which model, but it wasn't a Bookpack; it might be the Explorer.

It has a padded laptop pocket and decent-sized water bottle pockets; she hasn't complained about it, although it's just now (6 years later) showing a bit of wear on the inside and on the bottom. I've run it through the washing machine a few times to remove vomit and/or travel funk, and it's come through fine (it says spot-clean, but if you throw it in a mesh bag, wash on cold, and let it air dry, it does pretty well.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m a teacher and I have a jansport backpack that I use that fits your criteria. I also have a High Sierra one that also fits your criteria. The only reason I switched was because I got tired of the pattern and wanted something different. I think I purchased both on Amazon for under $50 each.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    "I don't necessarily need to to be "adult" looking....or do I? Is it weird for me to just get a Northface and call it good? Should I try *not* to look like a student?"

I doubt the preschoolers are carrying TNF bags.

We've always had good luck with LLB. But I would start at Marshalls and TJ Maxx and see if anything looks good. I can't imagine a name brand really matters if it has the features you want.
    Ha that’s true. We do have students through highschool though. I thought of sure TJ Maxx would have lots of options but I scoured the store and found maybe 6 backpacks total and 0 that had the features I need. So odd.

doberbrat is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Ha that’s true. We do have students through highschool though. I thought of sure TJ Maxx would have lots of options but I scoured the store and found maybe 6 backpacks total and 0 that had the features I need. So odd.
    In fairness, its not exactly back to school season kwim? If you have a decent 2nd hand store around you, you might be able to get something to tide you over till the summer. Or order online - Personally I have a super hard time really understanding how big a backpack is unless I see it IRL.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Suggestions on Backpack for me?

Have you checked out Lo and Sons? They have a plain black one in a canvas type material that will last forever and you won’t like a college student.

https://www.loandsons.com/collection...poly-deep-navy

I have the bigger version and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by Kindra178; 03-21-2021 at 07:42 PM.

I snagged this Jansport for $20 in Amazon Warehouse deals and I think it is going to work pretty well. If I come across something better I can always hand it down to DS later.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you all for the suggestions