Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to handle indoor sports banquet?

Ugh ugh ugh. So our swim team is having an end of the year swim banquet on Saturday indoors and they are serving dinner. It’s one week after spring break, and over half of our team traveled for spring break and many went to Florida. I expressed my concerns that we shouldn’t be gathering indoors or eating indoors together one week after spring break! My concerns were brushed aside and I was told that families will all be seated together at tables 6 feet apart and meals will be boxed (not buffet.). Am I crazy for thinking this is dangerous and unnecessary? I know kids, they will want to sit and eat with their friends, not their families. My family doesn’t go to indoor restaurants (and I’ve only done outdoor dining once), and I feel like attending this banquet would be the same as going to a restaurant. I know DD is going to be pissed if I don’t let her go since all of her friends are going. Maybe I’ll tell her she can go but not eat??? My boys are more covid cautious and they will be fine with not going. I just hate how I’m put in this ****ty situation. Why couldn’t the team just wait a few weeks and hold the event outdoors? So far over 50 people are signed up to attend (adults, teens, school aged kids)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalki
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 03-22-2021 at 04:19 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I mean, my college freshman eats with his friends in the dining hall every day. Knock on wood he’s been fine. It wouldn’t be my preference but I could be swayed. My family (parents, siblings) wouldn’t go though.
    I was in charge of the swim banquet last year and it never happened because everyone was being conscientious. Didn’t happen this year. We’re instead planning a big summer pool party for them plus alumni, if it’s safe to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My kids have been in school full time all year. One of my DC had lunch two days in a row with a friend who tested positive on the the day after the second lunch. He thankfully didn’t catch it but I was very worried. I don’t think I would be worried if your banquet was just kids properly spaced 6 ft apart. A room full of adults the week after spring break would make me very uncomfortable and we would skip it. I would not be above offering my child a bribe in place of the banquet.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would not be happy either and like you I’d not appreciate being put in that situation to keep my kids out. I’m not sure what I’d do if I’m being completely honest. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh. That's probably a hard no for me. I wish people planning these types of things would take into consideration that there are different comfort levels and try to plan so that even those with more stringent rules would be able to come. If it was outside, I would feel better. Because if your area if anything like mine, no one is social distancing properly and don't wear their masks right. DS has soccer tomorrow night, and over half the team went to Florida last week. Thankfully the weather is cooperating and they are supposed to practice outside for the first time. I was trying to figure out what I was going to do if it was indoors, because that made me nervous and there were only 15 of them.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    My kids have been in school full time all year. One of my DC had lunch two days in a row with a friend who tested positive on the the day after the second lunch. He thankfully didn’t catch it but I was very worried. I don’t think I would be worried if your banquet was just kids properly spaced 6 ft apart. A room full of adults the week after spring break would make me very uncomfortable and we would skip it. I would not be above offering my child a bribe in place of the banquet.
    My kids have not been in school this year but I would handle it just like jgenie. I would skip it and offer something else fun instead.

hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We would NOT be attending...

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would attend, enforce the rule that your family will be staying together (this may be one time that they actually do make sure it happens, but I know your state is pretty lax). Wear a mask when not eating. I assume most of the kids have been eating lunch at school together and socializing outside of school. Where I live, many people have been to Florida, of all of the people we know who have visited Florida during this pandemic, none, zero, including all family members, had Covid, so maybe take that with a huge grain of salt, but even if the kids didn't go to Florida, many are probably hanging out together indoors at home during Spring Break.

Maybe just you (maybe DH too) and DD go to the banquet (our swim banquet is a bit more low key, usually an ice cream sundae thing, and usually just parents and swimmers. We didn't have one this year as our state did not allow any type of gathering in Nov and DD was so sad, she was team captain and loves the remarks the coach makes about each and every swimmer and couldn't wait for the final speech from her coach (am planning to invite her to speak at DD's graduation party).

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would likely go, but I’ve been vaccinated so I am a bit more relaxed on the idea of restaurants (I wasn’t before, although I agreed to a date night at an off time before the vax). I’d be super reluctant if I wasn’t vaxxed. I am more relaxed about my low risk kids (they have been in school all year with no problems and they do eat lunch there). I’d enforce sticking with family and masks when not eating, and minimize who went. One parent and the swimmer most likely.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

I would not go. I would offer a safer alternative for your daughter. I would be pissed at whoever organized it.

I am ok with outdoor sports, and we are doing indoor swim lessons (which honestly make me very nervous - the waiting room moreso than the pool itself). But we are not eating in restaurants, which is what this sounds like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast