Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sick kid

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Thanks all! This is reassuring, fingers crossed for a negative test result and a quick improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    My niece had a fever, cough, and sore throat last week. Her pediatrician said that strep and a couple of viruses (I don’t remember which ones) were going around causing all of those symptoms. She didn’t even recommend getting her tested unless it didn’t go away after a few days. It lasted about 24 hours and no one else got it. They were on spring break so stayed home away from people just in case. I was surprised the dr didn’t want her tested but said given what she knew about the circulating viruses she was pretty sure it was one of them and not covid.
    I think it’s negligent if the doctor not to test for covid. Tests are plentiful and it’s best to know. Some people only have mild symptoms.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I think it’s negligent if the doctor not to test for covid. Tests are plentiful and it’s best to know. Some people only have mild symptoms.
    I too am a little baffled that the doctor would choose not to test. Never miss an opportunity to test! A recent paper covered by the TWIV podcast mentioned that children are really hard to test for COVID. They may only show up as positive for 2 days out of the full course where an adult might be positive for a much longer period.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I too am a little baffled that the doctor would choose not to test. Never miss an opportunity to test! A recent paper covered by the TWIV podcast mentioned that children are really hard to test for COVID. They may only show up as positive for 2 days out of the full course where an adult might be positive for a much longer period.
    I was baffled by it too. I mean, what can it hurt?

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I heard that episode too and found it fascinating. My kids were asked for a sleepover . All the parents are vaccinated. I thought of this episode and thought to myself: heck no!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it sounds like strep. My kids often get negative results on the rapid test, but then the culture they send out comes back positive. Hope he feels better soon!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, so interesting that kids only test positive in a short 2 day window! On TWIV they talked about how they never believed kids were getting covid less, just that they are tested less and the window of turning up positive is so short it's probably missed the majority of the time!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

DD was sick with a cold a couple weeks ago (rsv and covid negative) and then DS2 got it. He was down 2-3 days from it and had a temp of 99.8 at one point. I purposely didn't take him to the doctor to get covid tested and lied to school and said he was out with a stomach bug (if I had just said he was absent for no reason I would have done that but I wasn't going to make him get covid tested for what I knew was a cold, (would have likely required if I had been honest and said he had a cold, and therefore DS3 and DS1 to have to miss school again while covid results were pending because DS2 has a cold.) Last time DS2 had a cold we all ended up with it and "presumed positive" covid despite negative tests and me being vaccinated so I'm not really being forthcoming with info I share with the school anymore after being honest with them totally bit us in the butt last time and made a lot of kids quarantine unnecessarily from all their classes.) DS2 recovered in a few days and no one else got sick, DS1 and DS3 were able to go to school in the meantime. (DD had already tested negative and she started it and is 2 and literally goes nowhere, but she is a toothbrush addict and I suspect got her cold virus from finding an old toothbrush I thought had been thrown away she found in the vanity drawer from when we had the "presumed covid" colds in Feb..)
    Last edited by AngB; 03-24-2021 at 04:18 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

DS threw up last week. No other symptoms. Everyone ate the same dinner and no one else got sick. We had to take him to be tested for COVID although he was clearly fine by the time he went. The pediatrician ran a fast PCR and results took about 2 hours. They also tested him for flu and strep. Felt like overkill but I also understand. We also had the choice of keeping him quarantined for 10 days but if we chose that the district would treat him as presumed positive and DD would have also had to quarantine as a close contact.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

PCR was negative! He feels way better, but has a hacky/post nasally cough that of course is setting my nerves on edge every time I hear it. It does seem like an ordinary cold though, so hopefully that is what it is. I am keeping him pretty confined and away from the rest of the family as a precaution but am letting my other kids go to school. Hopefully the rest of us will dodge this one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast