Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    Our insurance would not pay to fix the problem (stop the leak) but did pay to repair the damage the leak caused. So we paid $50 to replace the section of pipe that was leaking, and insurance paid about $50k to repair the damage the water did to our floors, walls and cabinets.
    Thank you for the responses. Sounds like I do need to call them. Pharmjenn or anyone who may know, is it important for me to call the insurance now or should I wait for the leak to be fixed. I found a plumber who has small employees who feels they can get in there and fix it, but it wont be until tomorrow afternoon. Not sure if insurance will say I am letting the leak go too long or what..but not like I have an alternative.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thank you for the responses. Sounds like I do need to call them. Pharmjenn or anyone who may know, is it important for me to call the insurance now or should I wait for the leak to be fixed. I found a plumber who has small employees who feels they can get in there and fix it, but it wont be until tomorrow afternoon. Not sure if insurance will say I am letting the leak go too long or what..but not like I have an alternative.
    Call. You don't want to get in a pickle.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Call your insurance now. Don’t start repairs until you’ve spoken directly with your agent.

Thank you! I absolutely do not want to get in a pickle and do anything (or not do something) that I regret. Can anyone give me tips/advise me on what to say/not say to insurance? I never have needed to make a claim.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Just honestly explain the situation and timeline. They'll walk you through it. Good luck!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just call your insurance and explain to them. You don't have to file the claim. They will tell you the process and costs, etc and then you can go from there. When we had a roof leak, we called and they told us to get someone there to clean up the mess. Our deductible ended up being more than it was to fix it, so we didn't file the claim. But we knew what to do and how to handle it beforehand, which was helpful in deciding what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Just call your insurance and explain to them. You don't have to file the claim. They will tell you the process and costs, etc and then you can go from there. When we had a roof leak, we called and they told us to get someone there to clean up the mess. Our deductible ended up being more than it was to fix it, so we didn't file the claim. But we knew what to do and how to handle it beforehand, which was helpful in deciding what to do.

Thank you. That is interesting. I keep hearing that my rates will go up even by telling them what happened and, if I am found negligible in any way, they wont pay...so that is why I am asking.

Thank you. That is interesting. I keep hearing that my rates will go up even by telling them what happened and, if I am found negligible in any way, they wont pay...so that is why I am asking.
    I can’t imagine how you could be found negligible for a leak under your house. Sorry you’re going through this but glad you found the problem.

I can’t imagine how you could be found negligible for a leak under your house. Sorry you’re going through this but glad you found the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post

you've been having contractors come since you suspected a problem. You have done what you were supposed to do.
    You won't have to choose to file. I don't think it's like car insurance either where your rates go up if you were to blame in an accident. This is what insurance is for. I wouldn't stress. Yo pay for insurance. Might as well see if they can help. This might be "flood" damage and not be covered if you don't have that provision.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast