Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45
  1. #31
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    .
    Posts
    7,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    Our insurance would not pay to fix the problem (stop the leak) but did pay to repair the damage the leak caused. So we paid $50 to replace the section of pipe that was leaking, and insurance paid about $50k to repair the damage the water did to our floors, walls and cabinets.
    Thank you for the responses. Sounds like I do need to call them. Pharmjenn or anyone who may know, is it important for me to call the insurance now or should I wait for the leak to be fixed. I found a plumber who has small employees who feels they can get in there and fix it, but it wont be until tomorrow afternoon. Not sure if insurance will say I am letting the leak go too long or what..but not like I have an alternative.
    lucky single mom to 18 yr old dd and 15 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

  2. #32
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    44,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thank you for the responses. Sounds like I do need to call them. Pharmjenn or anyone who may know, is it important for me to call the insurance now or should I wait for the leak to be fixed. I found a plumber who has small employees who feels they can get in there and fix it, but it wont be until tomorrow afternoon. Not sure if insurance will say I am letting the leak go too long or what..but not like I have an alternative.
    Call. You don't want to get in a pickle.

  3. #33
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    11,453

    Default

    Call your insurance now. Don’t start repairs until you’ve spoken directly with your agent.
    for Carmen

  4. #34
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    .
    Posts
    7,012

    Default

    Thank you! I absolutely do not want to get in a pickle and do anything (or not do something) that I regret. Can anyone give me tips/advise me on what to say/not say to insurance? I never have needed to make a claim.
    lucky single mom to 18 yr old dd and 15 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

  5. #35
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    44,741

    Default

    Just honestly explain the situation and timeline. They'll walk you through it. Good luck!

  6. #36
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,158

    Default

    Just call your insurance and explain to them. You don't have to file the claim. They will tell you the process and costs, etc and then you can go from there. When we had a roof leak, we called and they told us to get someone there to clean up the mess. Our deductible ended up being more than it was to fix it, so we didn't file the claim. But we knew what to do and how to handle it beforehand, which was helpful in deciding what to do.

  7. #37
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    .
    Posts
    7,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Just call your insurance and explain to them. You don't have to file the claim. They will tell you the process and costs, etc and then you can go from there. When we had a roof leak, we called and they told us to get someone there to clean up the mess. Our deductible ended up being more than it was to fix it, so we didn't file the claim. But we knew what to do and how to handle it beforehand, which was helpful in deciding what to do.

    Thank you. That is interesting. I keep hearing that my rates will go up even by telling them what happened and, if I am found negligible in any way, they wont pay...so that is why I am asking.
    lucky single mom to 18 yr old dd and 15 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

  8. #38
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    11,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thank you. That is interesting. I keep hearing that my rates will go up even by telling them what happened and, if I am found negligible in any way, they wont pay...so that is why I am asking.
    I can’t imagine how you could be found negligible for a leak under your house. Sorry you’re going through this but glad you found the problem.
    for Carmen

  9. #39
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    11,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thank you. That is interesting. I keep hearing that my rates will go up even by telling them what happened and, if I am found negligible in any way, they wont pay...so that is why I am asking.
    I canít imagine how you could be found negligible for a leak under your house. Sorry youíre going through this but glad you found the problem.
    for Carmen

  10. #40
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    44,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I can’t imagine how you could be found negligible for a leak under your house. Sorry you’re going through this but glad you found the problem.

    you've been having contractors come since you suspected a problem. You have done what you were supposed to do.
    You won't have to choose to file. I don't think it's like car insurance either where your rates go up if you were to blame in an accident. This is what insurance is for. I wouldn't stress. Yo pay for insurance. Might as well see if they can help. This might be "flood" damage and not be covered if you don't have that provision.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •