Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
We had a similar (though worse in terms of more graphic things that she found) situation with my DD, although it wasn't a school computer. She started an innocent search, but kept clicking on things out of curiosity, and it got way more mature than it should have. Although of course at that point we reviewed the filters/safe search things we had in place, my biggest takeaway was actually about how I needed to talk to my DD about searching online -- both about good ways to search, and also about what to do when things get weird. Don't get me wrong, I would NOT want my child pulling up "sex kitten" at school -- and I think you were right to notify the school about it -- but I also wouldn't get too upset and would focus on positive conversations with your DS about what to do when he does find things like this online instead.
I love this. You are right about the direction this needs to go in our future conversations. That's why I'm bothered that it happened AT school because I wasn't there to have the conversation then or direct him away from it. Obviously his teacher can't monitor what every kid is doing online so for that reason they do need strict filters.