Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default When Your Kid Hits Adult Sizes Do You ...?

DD is 4'9.5" tall and solid (took her measurements the other day so I'd know what to order if she decided she was too embarrassed to wear her shirts without bras, or if she wanted a light support sports bra for PE, which she will do in person) which means she's rapidly outgrowing kids' sizing.

All of my go-to brands (Primary, TCP, Tea, etc.) run too small for her now, and while I'm a little sad, I'm also being a realist here:

My child was never going to be petite. Ever. (DH and I are tall.)

I just ordered her new shorts for summertime, but went to the women's section at Old Navy (because they run funky) and ordered according to her measurements (her hip measurement puts her at a 4 but her waist brings her up to a 6 or 8; I went with the 4 because waists aren't adjustable in adult sizing) ... and because they were $10/pair on a one-day special. (Plus used a free shipping coupon.)

Are there other brands I should be poking around in during this weird phase?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Junior sizes will be the next step. American Eagle has good stuff. Any junior departments at a department store will work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Juniors stores at the mall. Old Navy, Target, Kohl’s. There was a lot of trying on clothing at that age as they were transitioning to adult sizes. Now DD (15) goes shopping with her friends and I’m not involved at all (except ordering stuff online from Nike)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

We did well with Old Navy--starting with super small sizes at first. t shirts were never really an issue--its shorts and pants. Also try Gap, Ann Taylor Loft.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

American Eagle is expensive and their bottoms runs small imho. Dd1 was in a 2 or a 4 there when she was still in a zero or maybe even a 00 at Target. She is now a 6 there and still a 4 at Target, Old Navy or H&M (but imho H&M needs a true pre teen department....like they have in Sweden...). You might also try Uniqlo.

I was one of those kids who went straight from a kids 14 to a 8 petite and barely 4’11 at 11 years old and there was way less selection then than their is now. Things got a little better when I hit about 5’2” by the end of 7th grade and juniors weren’t too long pants wise. I sympathize with you and your daughter. I didn’t need more than a basic no wire A cup until I was 18 so I am not much help there, but Aerie bras have been good for Dd1 as have Warner’s Cloud 9 bras, but the smallest band on the Cloud 9 I believe is a 32. You might also try Jockey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This hasn't been as bad of a transition as I expected with the exception of swimwear. It's really tricky to find decent swimwear that has some light padding but it's long enough in the torso for my girls. I know I am old fashioned but I'm not really comfortable with bikinis at this age for my girls....so that's been challenging. For everything else, it's just a lot of trial and error. More brands are taking kid's sizes farther than before also....for example Walmart shorts from the girls section turned out to work this year even though my girls are now 5'5". It's helpful because they are still often cheaper! Dresses are also sometimes tricky because if they fit up top, they are way too short. We have also had good luck with Old Navy and generally find a lot of their clothes at thrift stores. They like American Eagle and GAP jeans and fill in the rest with whatever's cute and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    This hasn't been as bad of a transition as I expected with the exception of swimwear. It's really tricky to find decent swimwear that has some light padding but it's long enough in the torso for my girls. I know I am old fashioned but I'm not really comfortable with bikinis at this age for my girls....so that's been challenging. ...
    I'm dreading swimwear, tbh, but when I was DD's age, I wore Speedo and TheFinals one-piece suits until I asked for a bikini. And my bikini was fairly modest - I wasn't comfortable with anything else ... plus, my grandma was buying.

I think my biggest issue with bikinis isn't from a modesty perspective (although there's that) but rather with a "can I swim in this thing?" perspective - you can't really swim in styles made for tanning and DD swims.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Junior sizes will be the next step. American Eagle has good stuff. Any junior departments at a department store will work too.
    My sister wore AE. It's ... not my favorite.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    American Eagle is expensive and their bottoms runs small imho. Dd1 was in a 2 or a 4 there when she was still in a zero or maybe even a 00 at Target. She is now a 6 there and still a 4 at Target, Old Navy or H&M (but imho H&M needs a true pre teen department....like they have in Sweden...). You might also try Uniqlo.
    I don't like AE, or Aeropostale, both of which my sister LOVED when she was DD's age. DD's teenage cousins adore Hollister.

Maybe it's me, but I think that Uniqlo also runs small; I'm trying to find things that don't cost a lot but also don't give her a body complex. She's 11 and squishy, some of which is completely normal for her age and some of which is because she's refused exercise in favor of watching TV, video games, and playing with her tablet.

I was one of those kids who went straight from a kids 14 to a 8 petite and barely 4’11 at 11 years old and there was way less selection then than their is now. Things got a little better when I hit about 5’2” by the end of 7th grade and juniors weren’t too long pants wise. I sympathize with you and your daughter. I didn’t need more than a basic no wire A cup until I was 18 so I am not much help there, but Aerie bras have been good for Dd1 as have Warner’s Cloud 9 bras, but the smallest band on the Cloud 9 I believe is a 32. You might also try Jockey.
    Yeah, that was me, too. I wore hand-me-down petite clothing from my dad's cousin Denise. Denise was a flight attendant until she retired, so she always had cute things, but the woman is TINY. I could wear it in 5th grade, but not after I'd hit my growth spurt in 6th/7th.

I'm not overly concerned about bras right now; she measures roughly a 30A, so we're in what's effectively bralette territory. I wore Jockey cropped camis under my uniform blouse until I started wearing an actual bra (34A) in 6th grade because I got really self-conscious (thanks Neighbor Boy!) right about then.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default When Your Kid Hits Adult Sizes Do You ...?

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    My sister wore AE. It's ... not my favorite.
    Ok...but they’ll sell sizes that might fit her. I’m just saying don’t jump to women’s stuff because it is cut differently.
    H&M is a great suggestion too.
    You’re not shopping for you.
    Eta- swim wear isn’t just bikinis and utilitarian one pieces. I can swim laps in my tankinis. Im not racing but I could probably do them in some bikinis too. Athlete and Title 9 make some fantastic 2 piece suits built for sport. I’m all about 2 piece swimwear because of the bathroom. So much easier to deal with.
    Don’t let your brand issues make this challenging. This can be fun for dd to experiment. You never know what might work now.
    Try Kohl’s juniors too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 03-26-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast