Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ok...but they’ll sell sizes that will fit her. I’m just saying don’t jump to women’s stuff because it is cut differently.
    H&M is a great suggestion too.
    Old Navy's straight-size stuff is cut narrow; she'll be fine.

H&M is a little further out of my comfort zone - the kids' stuff isn't big enough and I haven't looked at the adult range recently.

You’re not shopping for you.
    This is true, but she's also built like me, so I'm trying to remember how we managed in 1989 ... and it seems like it was a lot of hand-me-downs from my parents' cousins. (My mother has what often seems like half a billion cousins, some of whom are closer in age to me than they are to her.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ok...but they’ll sell sizes that might fit her. I’m just saying don’t jump to women’s stuff because it is cut differently.
    H&M is a great suggestion too.
    You’re not shopping for you.
    Eta- swim wear isn’t just bikinis and utilitarian one pieces. I can swim laps in my tankinis. Im not racing but I could probably do them in some bikinis too. Athlete and Title 9 make some fantastic 2 piece suits built for sport. I’m all about 2 piece swimwear because of the bathroom. So much easier to deal with.
    Don’t let your brand issues make this challenging. This can be fun for dd to experiment. You never know what might work now.
    Try Kohl’s juniors too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    We have definitely tried tankinis and they are ok, but so many of them are built for a full-chested adult woman and my girls are, like me, flat chested. But many of the suggestions for a less mature chest make you look TOO flat chested, like take the little curve you've got and obliterate it! And we still need nipple coverage so speedos are double-out for flattening and headlights. Flat chested problems.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    We have definitely tried tankinis and they are ok, but so many of them are built for a full-chested adult woman and my girls are, like me, flat chested. But many of the suggestions for a less mature chest make you look TOO flat chested, like take the little curve you've got and obliterate it! And we still need nipple coverage so speedos are double-out for flattening and headlights. Flat chested problems.
    Have you looked at Title 9? There's no way I can wear their stuff because I have a chest. All of their models are pretty small in the curve department. Lots of good lining and support though.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Old Navy's straight-size stuff is cut narrow; she'll be fine.

H&M is a little further out of my comfort zone - the kids' stuff isn't big enough and I haven't looked at the adult range recently.

This is true, but she's also built like me, so I'm trying to remember how we managed in 1989 ... and it seems like it was a lot of hand-me-downs from my parents' cousins. (My mother has what often seems like half a billion cousins, some of whom are closer in age to me than they are to her.)

You're right that Old Navy works across lines. Don't rule out H&M. they do have their "going to a club" section but they also have plenty of great basics. The prices are right in line with Old Navy, or less.

Also, I’d involve her in the process. At that age, girls start having strong opinions about clothing and they often want to try stuff on. I’d encourage you go get her opinion before ordering clothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My 13yr old DD transitioned out of kids sizes last year. She mostly wears clothes from Target and ON. She mostly lives in workout leggings and tshirts. She does fine with women's 8s for pants and shorts or women's mediums. We did junior section of Kohls a year or so ago (pre pandemic when you could try things on) and at that time could wear a junior 5. I haven't found much difference between juniors departments and women's departments if you are shopping athleisure or the trendy section. IMO the clothing isn't cut any differently.

My challenge is with 11yr old DD who can still wear a kid 10-12 but is WAY past wanting to wear pastels and rainbows and kitties. She wants junior fashions but is YEARS from fitting in them lol. Poor kid takes after me.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Also, I’d involve her in the process. At that age, girls start having strong opinions about clothing and they often want to try stuff on. I’d encourage you go get her opinion before ordering clothing.
    Her biggest opinion right now continues to be whether or not the fabric is itchy.

Thank goodness nearly everything is tagless nowadays!

As we're heading into the spring & summer, we're looking at basics - shorts, t-shirts, maybe a dress or two, maybe a pair of cute (inexpensive) sandals if she wants to get dressed up - but we'll have to go over the closet before September. She might care more then.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    My 13yr old DD transitioned out of kids sizes last year. She mostly wears clothes from Target and ON. She mostly lives in workout leggings and tshirts. She does fine with women's 8s for pants and shorts or women's mediums. We did junior section of Kohls a year or so ago (pre pandemic when you could try things on) and at that time could wear a junior 5. I haven't found much difference between juniors departments and women's departments if you are shopping athleisure or the trendy section. IMO the clothing isn't cut any differently.
    That's the other thing - fitting rooms are still closed here, too, so there's really no point in dragging her to 50000 places. I have to go by measurements, which I can take in my sleep thanks to decades of experience with home-sewn clothing.

DD can wear a women's small or medium t-shirt - she's really solid, and has my shoulders (poor kid.)

My challenge is with 11yr old DD who can still wear a kid 10-12 but is WAY past wanting to wear pastels and rainbows and kitties. She wants junior fashions but is YEARS from fitting in them lol. Poor kid takes after me.
    Art Class at Target should suit, then.

DD is all about rainbows & unicorns, but *I* am over them.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Have you looked at Title 9? There's no way I can wear their stuff because I have a chest. All of their models are pretty small in the curve department. Lots of good lining and support though.
    thanks that is a good suggestion I hadn't thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    thanks that is a good suggestion I hadn't thought of.
    Some of the other athletic brands may also have good options. Nike is one I've bought a couple of times before. I think I've found them at Kohls and JCPenny. For hard to fit sizes or proportions, I like tankini separates. Sometimes I've bought tops and bottoms in different sizes. I've even bought tops from one brand and (plain black or other coordinating solid color) bottoms from another brand when I found tops I loved but the store didn't have any bottoms I liked.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast