Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Please post the latest on Covid vaccines for kids

Double post

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Good news from Moderna on the vaccine for ages 12-17...96% efficacy after at least 1 dose (cases defined as 1 symptom + positive RT-PCR test), no serious safety concerns so far (follow-up time is 35 days after second dose).

This isn't really a surprise, but is a relief to hear. They're probably gearing up to submit a request for an EUA amendment to the FDA in the coming weeks.

Pfizer/BNT's FDA review...hello??? My guess is still for Friday this week but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Good news from Moderna on the vaccine for ages 12-17...96% efficacy after at least 1 dose (cases defined as 1 symptom + positive RT-PCR test), no serious safety concerns so far (follow-up time is 35 days after second dose).

This isn't really a surprise, but is a relief to hear. They're probably gearing up to submit a request for an EUA amendment to the FDA in the coming weeks.

Pfizer/BNT's FDA review...hello??? My guess is still for Friday this week but we'll see.
    This is all so exciting and such a relief.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My county and school district are so sure they are going to get approval next week that they scheduled a vaccine clinic for ages 12-17 for 5/17. Of course, they can always just drop off the 12-15 part if it didn't happen, but my guess is it really is going to happen by next week.

Unfortunately, its only a 2 hr clinic and filled up before I could schedule ds, but I am hopeful the vaccine will be accessible for him.
    Last edited by JustMe; 05-06-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I know they had to do two for the study/trial purposes because that was already planned out, but when it comes to the real world, if the efficacy rate is really that high after just one dose it seems kind of silly to have two doses, or am I missing something? It might help some people on the fence about vaccinating the kids (hi, me, and I'm sure others) more likely to get it if they only have to have one dose.

ETA: Nevermind, kinda, I will leave it there in case anyone has any thoughts but I misread the "at least one dose" as "1 dose". I do think having kids get one dose will make it more likely for some to get their kids the vaccine, though, if that's a reasonably effective option.
    Last edited by AngB; 05-06-2021 at 12:16 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

The CDC has posted its ACIP meeting agenda for May 12. This is where they will vote to recommend or not recommend the Pfizer/BNT vaccine for 12-15. These meetings have happened within days of FDA EUA authorization in the past when it comes to covid vaccines. So...Friday FDA authorization? Monday? Tuesday? Driving me a crazy.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/me...-05-12-508.pdf

duplicate

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The CDC has posted its ACIP meeting agenda for May 12. This is where they will vote to recommend or not recommend the Pfizer/BNT vaccine for 12-15. These meetings have happened within days of FDA EUA authorization in the past when it comes to covid vaccines. So...Friday FDA authorization? Monday? Tuesday? Driving me a crazy.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/me...-05-12-508.pdf
    Eek! So theoretically, as long as the FDA authorization comes before the meeting, this meeting is the last step for the vaccine's approval? Like, once they say yes governors can open it up to that age group?

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

duplicate

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Eek! So theoretically, as long as the FDA authorization comes before the meeting, this meeting is the last step for the vaccine's approval? Like, once they say yes governors can open it up to that age group?
    I am pretty sure the answer to this is yes! As I said in my previous post, there is a clinic just scheduled for 5/17 (local to me) that includes this age group (only 2 hrs and filled up within 5 minutes), but the local (to me) powers that be, seem to feel reasonably sure they will be good to go by 5/17
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast