Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
Congrats to her! Please thank you for doing that. I'm sure you feel good knowing she got the real one. DS2 is in the Pfizer trial and I'm hoping he gets the real thing but no indication from his first shot that he did.
We weren't sure after the first one, but definitely sure after the second. There was a 60% chance of getting the vaccine in the first round, so odds were in our favor. In 6 months, they will do another round of injections. Participants who got the placebo the first time will get the vaccine with the second round, and participants who received the vaccine in the first round will receive placebo with round two. Doing it this way will allow everyone to remain blinded throughout the length of the study.
Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
Interesting that shots that are even different types (ie. I believe I have read novavaxx is not an MRNA but also different from J&J) have similar reactions.
Novavax is a nanoparticle vaccine, so a small portion of the spike protein is produced using a moth cell line instead of injecting the mRNA into humans and relying on our ribosomes to produce the spike protein. I prefer this method over a vector vaccine, although I would have loved for her to participate in an mRNA trial. This one seems to be effective, so I am happy. Now if we can just get DD3 into a trial or get a vaccine authorized for 11 year olds. She doesn't turn 12 until December.
Here is a link to an explanation of how the Novavax vaccine works. https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/01/healt...ner/index.html