Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast

Default Please post the latest on Covid vaccines for kids

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    My oldest is 11, and turning 12 in late July. He is very small for his age. The Pfizer vaccine caused me a week long of pretty bad effects after the second dose. I honestly can’t imagine him getting the same dosage that I did. He is barely 70 pounds. (He is a tall stick). I want to know if they even tested smaller doses for the 12-15 age, or just went straight to the adult dose for that age? If adults got 30ml, and 5-11 are getting 10ml, did they test 20ml or 15ml for 12-15 year olds? I am really not okay with him getting the same dose of a vaccine as I did. If I do get him vaccinated, I most likely will only get him one dose. I figure 80% effectiveness is better than nothing. He did have a friend (male 12 yrs old) who was diagnosed with myocarditis after their second dose last week.
    Apparently one dose isn’t very effective against the Delta variant .

I have a small boy that is the same age (turns 12 in July). He’s growth hormone deficient and has a bone age of 1.5 years younger. His endocrinologist said to get him vaccinated as soon as he’s eligible. (But this was back in early may before we knew about dosage differences.) But DH and I are worried about giving such a small kid an adult sized dose. I didn’t have any side effects, but DD had a 102.5 fever the day after her second dose and felt like total crap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 06-09-2021 at 11:27 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I know of quite a few of my nursing home residents who are super tiny, some 80lbs and they got the Pfizer vaccine in Jan, so those with small kids, it really seems like it is based on age not weight with respect to the dose etc. I trust that the age ranges are well thought out by the scientists behind this.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I know of quite a few of my nursing home residents who are super tiny, some 80lbs and they got the Pfizer vaccine in Jan, so those with small kids, it really seems like it is based on age not weight with respect to the dose etc. I trust that the age ranges are well thought out by the scientists behind this.
    But their immune systems are very weak and they need stronger vaccines to elicit an immune response. A tiny new 12 year old has a very robust immune system.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I saw on the Sacramento Bee website that Kaiser Permanente is doing a vaccine trial for 5-11 year olds so if you are in a decent driving distance of Sacramento I would probably look into it. Here is a paywall free article from channel 3:

https://www.kcra.com/amp/article/kai...-5-11/36659791

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This morning the FDA is in an advisory committee meeting - they are discussing preliminary real-world safety data in ages 12-15. I haven't had a chance to take a closer look at the slides yet but I'm sure there will be a good summary from someone later and I'll come back and post.

CDC's ACIP meets June 18, also to discuss this.

Pfizer provided a statement to the press on Tuesday regarding doses chosen to move forward with in the Phase 2/3 study for kids 5-11 and 6mo-5yr: the dose is 10 microgram (3-fold lower) for kids 5-11yr and 3 micrograms (10-fold lower) for kids 6mo-5yr.

Those concerned with the 30 microgram dose for ages 12+...yes, data has been showing that one dose isn't enough to protect against the Delta variant (which is the one that ravaged India and IS in the US, we just don't know how quickly it will spread among the younger unvaccinated population). 2 doses of Pfizer offered pretty good protection against Delta. If it were me and I had an 12 yo straddling the line that I felt would be at increased risk of side effects, I'd talk to our pediatrician about potentially spacing out the 2 doses. But the Delta variant does worry me.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 06-10-2021 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    This morning the FDA is in an advisory committee meeting - they are discussing preliminary real-world safety data in ages 12-15. I haven't had a chance to take a closer look at the slides yet but I'm sure there will be a good summary from someone later and I'll come back and post.

CDC's ACIP meets June 18, also to discuss this.

Pfizer provided a statement to the press on Tuesday regarding doses chosen to move forward with in the Phase 2/3 study for kids 5-11 and 6mo-5yr: the dose is 10 microgram (3-fold lower) for kids 5-11yr and 3 micrograms (10-fold lower) for kids 6mo-5yr.

Those concerned with the 30 microgram dose for ages 12+...yes, data has been showing that one dose isn't enough to protect against the Delta variant (which is the one that ravaged India and IS in the US, we just don't know how quickly it will spread among the younger unvaccinated population). 2 doses of Pfizer offered pretty good protection against Delta. If it were me and I had an 12 yo straddling the line that I felt would be at increased risk of side effects, I'd talk to our pediatrician about potentially spacing out the 2 doses. But the Delta variant does worry me.

Do you have any links to this info?
    My oldest 2 got their first shots and then we went on vacation and I was tuned out to the news. Dh kind of wanted to wait to get the second shot, but now I am getting worried about Delta. Although I am worried about the 2nd shot too for ds especially since it seems to be boys more at risk.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by frugalmom View Post
    Do you have any links to this info?
    My oldest 2 got their first shots and then we went on vacation and I was tuned out to the news. Dh kind of wanted to wait to get the second shot, but now I am getting worried about Delta. Although I am worried about the 2nd shot too for ds especially since it seems to be boys more at risk.
    I just read this article with a little info.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ave/index.html

ETA: here’s another one that talks about how it’s hitting 12-20 year olds. Not a whole lot of data but interesting. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wmur.com/amp/article/11-cases-of-delta-covid-19-variant-found-in-new-hampshire-health-officials-urge-vaccinations/36678846
    Last edited by MSWR0319; 06-10-2021 at 12:00 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Delta variant: https://assets.publishing.service.go...iant_DELTA.pdf (Confidence = high means that we have a high degree of confidence in what the data is showing us). The scary thing in the UK is that the delta variant makes up the bulk of the cases now...it's highly transmissible and contributing to that second wave. In the US, Delta still makes up a small proportion of cases BUT our surveillance system for variants suuuucks compared to the UK and with so much of the US going back to normal, it does concern me.

Delta variant in US: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ise-in-the-u-s

Dose info for Pfizer in kids: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/08/h...dren-fall.html

Today's FDA advisory committee meeting slides: https://www.fda.gov/media/150054/download
    I haven't looked closely enough yet but even if you go by VAERS data (which is to be taken with a grain of salt because anyone can submit anything to VAERS without known and demonstrated causality) myocarditis is rare. There may be a signal but my initial guess is that if there is, it's rare enough that benefits will outweigh risks. Again, disclaimer that I haven't looked closely. I'll post back when I see someone write up a good unbiased summary of the meeting (which is still ongoing).

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Twowhat? thank you for the posts and links! It is so nice to have these curated where I can go if I have any questions.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Delta variant: https://assets.publishing.service.go...iant_DELTA.pdf (Confidence = high means that we have a high degree of confidence in what the data is showing us). The scary thing in the UK is that the delta variant makes up the bulk of the cases now...it's highly transmissible and contributing to that second wave. In the US, Delta still makes up a small proportion of cases BUT our surveillance system for variants suuuucks compared to the UK and with so much of the US going back to normal, it does concern me.

Delta variant in US: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ise-in-the-u-s

Dose info for Pfizer in kids: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/08/h...dren-fall.html

Today's FDA advisory committee meeting slides: https://www.fda.gov/media/150054/download
    I haven't looked closely enough yet but even if you go by VAERS data (which is to be taken with a grain of salt because anyone can submit anything to VAERS without known and demonstrated causality) myocarditis is rare. There may be a signal but my initial guess is that if there is, it's rare enough that benefits will outweigh risks. Again, disclaimer that I haven't looked closely. I'll post back when I see someone write up a good unbiased summary of the meeting (which is still ongoing).
    Thank you for sharing the slides. They make me feel better as DS2 enters the trial tomorrow. Our pediatric cardiologist said the same thing. If the VAERS reports are all confirmed to be related to the vaccine, he feels the benefits will still outweigh the risks. He likened it to the J&J and blood clot issues. He ended our conversation about the vaccine with “some people just have weird bodies that do weird things so you’ll always have some rare issues triggered by a vaccine.”

Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast