Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Found a better link to the data on the Delta variant and vaccination in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/v...-after-2-doses

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I haven’t kept up with the entire thread so this might have been mentioned already. We saw our pediatrician this morning and she said that per the CDC, kids don’t have to avoid other vaccinations for 2 weeks before getting their COVID19 vax. I had wanted my twins to get their HPV vax during their annual visit today but didn’t want to delay their COVID vax. We were happy to hear there is no long a waiting period!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I haven’t kept up with the entire thread so this might have been mentioned already. We saw our pediatrician this morning and she said that per the CDC, kids don’t have to avoid other vaccinations for 2 weeks before getting their COVID19 vax. I had wanted my twins to get their HPV vax during their annual visit today but didn’t want to delay their COVID vax. We were happy to hear there is no long a waiting period!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/cov...ssion=true#app

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Thursday that it will convene an "emergency meeting" of its advisers on June 18th to discuss rare but higher-than-expected reports of heart inflammation following doses of the mRNA-based Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines."
    Last edited by marymoo86; 06-11-2021 at 02:51 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OK finally had time to look through the FDA committee meeting slides. Main takeaways:

Analysis of solicited adverse events for younger vaccine recipients was (meaning the AEs they specifically expect/look for, like fatigue) are consistent with the data analyzed from the clinical study. Comparable to rates seen in 16-25 yos. No red flags in terms of solicited adverse events.

Myocarditis:

Cases of myocarditis greater than expected in VAERS database (review/adjudication of VAERS reports ongoing so the real number is likely to be lower, but still potentially higher than expected).
    A more controlled dataset of patients from healthcare orgs (largely Kaiser/West Coast) also shows cases of myocarditis higher than expected.
    Majority (81%) made full recoveries, but data on outcomes from VAERS reports are limited.

My initial take: This preliminary data taken together with Israel's data does suggest a possible link for myocarditis related to the mRNA vaccines. Given the many millions of people vaccinated, the rates are still really rare and, at least based on what we know today, the benefits still outweigh the risks. The rarity of myocarditis events so far is reflected in the lack of a pause in vaccine rollout to younger ages. But of course, it's always possible for numbers to change as data continues to be gathered.

The CDC advisory committee is meeting June 18 to discuss this and any new data on myocarditis. This meeting will have a particular focus on assessing the risk-benefit profile. Myocarditis has been seen with other vaccinations (eg smallpox) as a rare side effect. If you choose to get your kids vaccinated, be on the look out for myocarditis-related symptoms within the first few days of vaccination, particularly after dose #2, and especially if you have a boy: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ocarditis.html. Prompt recognition and treatment is always better!

And gatorsmom, yes - the CDC advisory committee recommended back when they met to discuss the 12-15yo data that there should not be a 2 week waiting period between vaccines. This isn't based on any data specific for the covid vaccine, but rather gobs and gobs of data on other vaccinations being administered concurrently with generally no issues. The CDC advisory committee believed it was better to remove any obstacles for getting kids vaccinated (not just for covid but all their childhood vaccines), particularly in at-risk populations, kids who rarely visit their doctors, etc.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 06-10-2021 at 10:48 PM.

Germany doesn't recommend for 12-18 except for limited pre-conditions:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...RuieG3lUJ8lRDU

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

doublepost

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I’m the poster who has a 15yo DS who had covid antibodies (unknown when he had covid since he was astymptomatic), had vax dose #1 and has congenital heart defects. I had posted above that the highly regarded infectious disease doc at my husband’s large healthcare organization advised us that the risk of covid, particularly in light of the delta variant, outweighs the risk of myocarditis and therefore we could proceed with vax #2. Or we could delay.

My DS was scheduled to get dose #2 yesterday but at the last second we decided to delay. I want to hear what the CDC has to say after their meeting on the 18th. We also have a very busy week with end of school, graduation and family events and I wouldn’t want to take the chance that my DS simply pushed through any pain or myocarditis symptoms due to everything happening. We do plan get to dose #2 but will wait a bit to hear more.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I’m the poster who has a 15yo DS who had covid antibodies (unknown when he had covid since he was astymptomatic), had vax dose #1 and has congenital heart defects. I had posted above that the highly regarded infectious disease doc at my husband’s large healthcare organization advised us that the risk of covid, particularly in light of the delta variant, outweighs the risk of myocarditis and therefore we could proceed with vax #2. Or we could delay.

My DS was scheduled to get dose #2 yesterday but at the last second we decided to delay. I want to hear what the CDC has to say after their meeting on the 18th. We also have a very busy week with end of school, graduation and family events and I wouldn’t want to take the chance that my DS simply pushed through any pain or myocarditis symptoms due to everything happening. We do plan get to dose #2 but will wait a bit to hear more.

Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast