Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Congrats to her! Please thank you for doing that. I'm sure you feel good knowing she got the real one. DS2 is in the Pfizer trial and I'm hoping he gets the real thing but no indication from his first shot that he did.
    We weren't sure after the first one, but definitely sure after the second. There was a 60% chance of getting the vaccine in the first round, so odds were in our favor. In 6 months, they will do another round of injections. Participants who got the placebo the first time will get the vaccine with the second round, and participants who received the vaccine in the first round will receive placebo with round two. Doing it this way will allow everyone to remain blinded throughout the length of the study.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Interesting that shots that are even different types (ie. I believe I have read novavaxx is not an MRNA but also different from J&J) have similar reactions.
    Novavax is a nanoparticle vaccine, so a small portion of the spike protein is produced using a moth cell line instead of injecting the mRNA into humans and relying on our ribosomes to produce the spike protein. I prefer this method over a vector vaccine, although I would have loved for her to participate in an mRNA trial. This one seems to be effective, so I am happy. Now if we can just get DD3 into a trial or get a vaccine authorized for 11 year olds. She doesn't turn 12 until December.
    Here is a link to an explanation of how the Novavax vaccine works. https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/01/healt...ner/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Congrats to her! Please thank you for doing that. I'm sure you feel good knowing she got the real one. DS2 is in the Pfizer trial and I'm hoping he gets the real thing but no indication from his first shot that he did.
    We weren't sure after the first one, but definitely sure after the second. There was a 60% chance of getting the vaccine in the first round, so odds were in our favor. In 6 months, they will do another round of injections. Participants who got the placebo the first time will get the vaccine with the second round, and participants who received the vaccine in the first round will receive placebo with round two. Doing it this way will allow everyone to remain blinded throughout the length of the study.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Interesting that shots that are even different types (ie. I believe I have read novavaxx is not an MRNA but also different from J&J) have similar reactions.
    Novavax is a nanoparticle vaccine, so a small portion of the spike protein is produced using a moth cell line instead of injecting the mRNA into humans and relying on our ribosomes to produce the spike protein. I prefer this method over a vector vaccine, although I would have loved for her to participate in an mRNA trial. This one seems to be effective, so I am happy. Now if we can just get DD3 into a trial or get a vaccine authorized for 11 year olds. She doesn't turn 12 until December.
    Here is a link to an explanation of how the Novavax vaccine works. https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/01/healt...ner/index.html

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    Now if we can just get DD3 into a trial or get a vaccine authorized for 11 year olds. She doesn't turn 12 until December.
    I feel the same way with my DD2 who also turns 12 in December. When I spoke to one of the local research facilities they indicated it would be unlikely for DD2 to be selected for a study because she'd turn 12 within the 6 months of the double blind study and therefore would receive dose 2 after turning 12 and they want them all to be 11 or younger. Such a bummer. Too young for the vax, too old for the study.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Now if we can just get DD3 into a trial or get a vaccine authorized for 11 year olds. She doesn't turn 12 until December.
    I feel the same way with my DD2 who also turns 12 in December. When I spoke to one of the local research facilities they indicated it would be unlikely for DD2 to be selected for a study because she'd turn 12 within the 6 months of the double blind study and therefore would receive dose 2 after turning 12 and they want them all to be 11 or younger. Such a bummer. Too young for the vax, too old for the study.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Well, both boys had a reaction to the 2nd, but nothing major at all. DD had nothing. Barely a sore arm. Crazy how different they all were!
    Kris

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD has now had her second dose of Novavax. The first dose was just a little arm soreness, the second dose was very similar to my reaction during the Moderna trial. She has a fever, headache, and swelling around the injection side for several days. Fever and headache lasted less than 24 hours, and swelling was completely resolved in 4 days. And now we know she's definitely not in the placebo group.
    That's awesome and a huge thanks for participating in this study. Novovax is looking REALLY good! I looked up the study details to make sure they weren't giving the adjuvant component as a control arm but nope - the control arm is just plain saline placebo. So your DD almost certainly got the vaccine!

Novavax is looking very promising! Thank you to your DD and you for participating.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Oh, that stinks. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that they approve one for younger kids soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Oh, that stinks. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that they approve one for younger kids soon.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Someone just told me that they heard the FDA has asked for six months data before approving the covid vaccine for 11 and under. Has anyone else heard this? I tried to google it and just found an article about the meeting where they were going to discuss their parameters for EUA approval, but can’t find if they did meet or what those parameters were. Maybe the meeting about the myocarditis cases took precedent? Here’s the article I found referencing the meeting but there’s no update to what happened at the meeting concerning this issue. I figured if anyone knew it would be here!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7ny....dren/10766843/

Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast