basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default No one is listening!

I feel like I can see multiple disasters unfolding in various parts of my life, but I'm screaming into the abyss and no one can hear me!

1) My grandmother fell again, was made non-weight bearing by her orthopedic surgeon, and went back to the nursing home. They put her in isolation again (even though she's been vaccinated for several months and she had to test negative before going) so now she's miserable. She's going to discharge herself and go home and fall again. She'll be 100 next week. Sending a 100 year old home alone, non weight bearing on one leg is insane. I'm not quite sure I could manage by myself non weight bearing, and I'm healthy and active and 41. No one is listening.

2) My uncle is renovating my grandmother's cabin (with her money). He's making some poor functional and aesthetic decisions. I'll likely inherit it someday. He's not listening one bit. It's not my money, and not my house, but being asked my opinion and then told I'm wrong (when I know I'm right!) is really annoying. It's not style stuff - it's stuff like "should we gut the whole house but leave a 20 year old formica backsplash?". No.

3) Our lawn is a mess. I asked my husband to get a quote to get the grass fixed. He came back with a quote for $2000 worth of mulch, no grass. Now says the grass doesn't need to be fixed, the kids can play in a mud pile all summer. Great.

4) EMR upgrades and new scheduling software at work that I am the physician liaison for. Computer people just assume I have no idea what I'm talking about. I suspect because I'm a woman. Waste hours' worth of meeting time telling me things I already know, then ignore me when I point out major issues. Gah!

5) So so so many patients headed for disaster and no way to stop it. This is chronic, and really just part of what I do, but still sad. So much of it is avoidable, really.

Some of these are bigger problems than others. But I just want someone, for once, to listen to me!!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree grandma can't go home non weight bearing (I work as a therapist in a nursing home). It's very standard even for our vaccinated new residents to have to do a 14 day quarantine, meaning stay in their room vs be able to come to the therapy room. But our wanderers and others are being allowed to sit in the lounge area and wheel the halls if masked. Maybe one of the therapists can talk her into staying, she really will make it worse or fall, I'm so sorry!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I agree grandma can't go home non weight bearing (I work as a therapist in a nursing home). It's very standard even for our vaccinated new residents to have to do a 14 day quarantine, meaning stay in their room vs be able to come to the therapy room. But our wanderers and others are being allowed to sit in the lounge area and wheel the halls if masked. Maybe one of the therapists can talk her into staying, she really will make it worse or fall, I'm so sorry!!!

I sort of get it...I know COVID was horrible in SNFs and we are just getting past it...But it's way above and beyond the CDC guidelines, I think? She calls my mom and says "the days are so long.." because she is just stuck in one room all day. She's not allowed to leave the room or mingle at all, and the staff spend as little time in there as possible. It's been 10 days since her negative test. They have the capability to test her again if they chose. It seems a bit excessive at this point! I would be going nuts too! There's no way they can talk her into staying if she's still in quarantine But again, no one listens to me.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I sort of get it...I know COVID was horrible in SNFs and we are just getting past it...But it's way above and beyond the CDC guidelines, I think? She calls my mom and says "the days are so long.." because she is just stuck in one room all day. She's not allowed to leave the room or mingle at all, and the staff spend as little time in there as possible. It's been 10 days since her negative test. They have the capability to test her again if they chose. It seems a bit excessive at this point! I would be going nuts too! There's no way they can talk her into staying if she's still in quarantine But again, no one listens to me.
    That is excessive...fully vaccinated + a negative test + 10 days post negative test. They definitely need to let her out for her mental health. That's the part of people's health that is being ignored in all this.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That all sucks. I'm sorry.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am so very sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    That is excessive...fully vaccinated + a negative test + 10 days post negative test. They definitely need to let her out for her mental health. That's the part of people's health that is being ignored in all this.
    We are so much under a microscope, just being vaccinated doesn't prevent transmission and after we have seen how fast it spreads in a nursing home it's just too risky. I know it sounds cruel, but after working in this setting for the last year we have to do everything we can. Folks who came from the hospital have had Covid even after having a negative test and then they passed it to staff and then staff to residents. It's awful all around!