Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I've gotten to the point where it's their room, if they want it messy so be it. Probably not the best plan, but it is what it is right now. DS1 actually likes leaving his folded clothes on the floor because it's easier to find?!

I allow my kids to have a messy room within reason. We've had a problem with the boys sneaking food upstairs now that they are home more and I don't want crumbs and bugs. Wet towels on the floor are another no-go and I ask that dirty clothes go into their hampers, clean clothes in a drawer or closet. I mainly need them to find what they need when they need it. Otherwise, I can handle messy floors, desks, closets and unmade beds. I do make their beds a few times a week just to make me happy but they don't seem to care either way.

My mom is extreme type A about house organization and cleaning. We made beds every morning and our rooms were pretty spotless. She would dump drawers if we stuffed clothes. I vowed to never be that strict and I've lived up to it but I do threaten to ship them to my parents' house when they complain about straightening and dusting/vacuuming their own mess.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you so much for all of your responses. I actually remember having a terribly messy room as a little kid and the awful process of trying to get it clean. I must have muddled through it and by the time I was a teenager I was pretty neat!

One factor for us is that I can't really leave the kids rooms messy. We just don't have enough space for that! Our house is TINY. DD's room is technically like an office/dining room and when one set of her double doors is open, you can see right into it from the front door! You can see the boys room from sitting down on the couch. I just can't be "out of sight, out of mind" in this house. Compound that with the fact that the 3 boys share and some of them like it neat and I think we've got to aim for cleaning it at least weekly.

My kids don't bring food or wet things into their rooms. The boys definitely toss their laundry all over the floor though. I will work on that with them. For DD it is more that she's got big "installations" of creative play going on. Those are harder for me to eliminate because ultimately I do think creative, messy play is the work of childhood! But I think there is a difference between allowing some "creative" corners and having piles of toys all over the floor (or my nemesis--the board game that they'll get back to eventually--not!).

At least 2 of my kids have been diagnosed with ADHD. I suspect that DD has it as well but hasn't qualified for testing through my insurer. I think the idea that there are pressure points throughout the day is a good idea to keep the clutter under control. They get to start watching shows around 5:00 in the afternoon. If I make a condition of starting the show, tidying up the room (getting rid of clothes on the floor, cleaning up board games, etc.) I bet I can get them to start making a better effort. And then I bet my house won't make me as crazy and my Saturdays won't suck so bad, lol!

Update in OP!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's such a great update, bisous!

I'm sure that the daily pickup helps you have more family time on your weekends, too, which, IIRC, is something that you value so much.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Good update! Summer break started today and I'm trying to encourage mine to straighten each day instead of a big event once a week. I helped them all do a deep clean yesterday so we are starting from a good place. Hopefully it goes as well as it has for you all!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Thanks guys! Lizzywednesday, it really does help our weekends.

Good luck in your endeavor carolinamama!

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Congratulations!! You have given your kids such a gift!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3