Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Keep your anti-vax reasons to yourself

So my friend's two teens were scheduled to get their covid shots this morning. Her teen daughter texted her from her room and said she wasn't getting her shot because her friend's mom told her it will ruin her fertility. My friend did not make her go because she wants to respect her wishes, but is really frustrated with the situation because her daughter really wanted to get it before that. I'm just so annoyed for her! Apparently this mom is a "popular" person in our small town and is an RN. She sent a text out to all of her children's friends telling them this morning not to get vaccinated because it will ruin their fertility. Who does that? Especially to teens? And everyone is listening to her because she's "so and so" and if she says it, it must be true. If people have reasons that they don't want to get vaccinated, that's their business. But I hate that my friend's daughter was scared into making a decision that she originally wasn't going to choose, simply because of someone else's opinion that scientifically hasn't been proven. If she felt the need to share the information she should have just sent it to their parents. It's just so maddening to me that these kids are trying to make choices they feel are right for them only to get scared into doing the opposite.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd be so mad if someone sent this kind of warning/scare text to my daughter. Not her daughter, not her business.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As an RN, I’m disgusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would be furious. I would text the woman and tell her so.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ugh. Very frustrating. As a mom, I think I’d point out that if my DD is that worried about her fertility then we need to be very vigilant about not getting COVID which means no traveling, no sleepovers, no hanging with friends, no restaurants, no movies, etc...

I have admitted on here before that I am struggling with seeing people the same way as before and figuring out how to happily coexist with people I disagree with. So I know this isn’t the healthiest approach, but I’m not sure I’ll let my kids hang out with other kids if I find out they aren’t vaccinated as a family. I really am dreading this phase we’re getting closer to where anyone who wants to be vaccinated has been and the many who don’t want to still aren’t and are causing outbreaks and lack of herd immunity. I don’t really want to live in a world where the government has the power to force vaccines, but that doesn’t mean I dont think you’re a selfish chicken s&$* letting the rest of society carry your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Not ok, so many boundaries crossed with that one.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Um, no, my next call would be to the licensing board because that's giving medical advice to someone who's not your patient.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

NO WAY I would let my child skip a vaccine due to the opinion of a friend's parent!!!! NOPE! Of course, here, vaccine appointments are worth more than gold. Rescheduling would not happen anytime soon. That may sway my judgement some!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not OK on so many levels. If it was my DC I would require them to find a study published in a reputable medical journal to support their decision (there are none). I’m ok with a child that age being involved in decisions regarding their body but they must learn to make those decisions based on fact and not the opinions of others.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So frustrating. I think I would insist my DC get the vaccine in that situation.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out with schools and universities requiring vaccination for on site learning soon.
    K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast