Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Not OK on so many levels. If it was my DC I would require them to find a study published in a reputable medical journal to support their decision (there are none). I’m ok with a child that age being involved in decisions regarding their body but they must learn to make those decisions based on fact and not the opinions of others.
    This is what I suggested to my friend. I'm going to email our health department tomorrow and share what rumor is going on. They've asked those of us who volunteer at the clinics to keep them aware of misinformation so that they can educate the community about the vaccine so they can make choices based on facts.

Quote Originally Posted by ellies mom View Post
    As an RN, I’m disgusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    same here! Peds RN, I have seen NOTHING about this in the literature
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    This is what I suggested to my friend. I'm going to email our health department tomorrow and share what rumor is going on. They've asked those of us who volunteer at the clinics to keep them aware of misinformation so that they can educate the community about the vaccine so they can make choices based on facts.
    I was thinking along these lines as well. I feel like a powerful lesson in this world is finding good sources and knowing how to read them. Teach them the skill and then let them decide. Oh my gosh your friend must be so stressed. I can't imagine if my 17yo high risk DS decided he didn't want to get it.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    NO WAY I would let my child skip a vaccine due to the opinion of a friend's parent!!!! NOPE! Of course, here, vaccine appointments are worth more than gold. Rescheduling would not happen anytime soon. That may sway my judgement some!
    As much as I would be irritated (OK, livid) with the other parent, I also have to realize that the days of forcing my kids to get vaccines are over. I can't bodily drag my almost-16 yo and 17 yo to a vaccine clinic like we did when they were toddlers.

That said, the entire conversation went like this. Me: DS1, I'm going to schedule you a vaccine appointment when it opens this week. DS1: OK

My only question now is the logistics... having DS1 wait a couple extra weeks so I can take them at the same time (or, even better, have them drive themselves). May be a moot point by the time we can schedule them.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    FYI, here's a brief overview of the background of the infertility rumor: https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid...to-infertility
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Not OK on so many levels. If it was my DC I would require them to find a study published in a reputable medical journal to support their decision (there are none). I’m ok with a child that age being involved in decisions regarding their body but they must learn to make those decisions based on fact and not the opinions of others.
    I like this approach the best. Even if this friend mom did not resort to texting something baseless and crossing boundaries, there is enough mis-information today out there. I’d like to ensure my kids base their decisions on solid science and learn to research and fact check rather than blind following.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to those who posted links to actual info in this and other threads. This weekend, I saw my extended family for the first time since last summer. One niece, who is 20 and a nursing student, admitted that she hasn't gotten the vaccine and isn't sure if she's going to because "I've heard it might affect my fertility." I just pulled up one of the links and handed her my phone. Didn't say anything, just handed it to her. She read it & told me thank you. I have no idea if she listened or if she thinks "Coco is one of those nut jobs," but it made me feel better to have real information to give her.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    As much as I would be irritated (OK, livid) with the other parent, I also have to realize that the days of forcing my kids to get vaccines are over. I can't bodily drag my almost-16 yo and 17 yo to a vaccine clinic like we did when they were toddlers.

That said, the entire conversation went like this. Me: DS1, I'm going to schedule you a vaccine appointment when it opens this week. DS1: OK

My only question now is the logistics... having DS1 wait a couple extra weeks so I can take them at the same time (or, even better, have them drive themselves). May be a moot point by the time we can schedule them.
    Yep, no way I could drag my child either if they didn't want it. HOWEVER, we would be having a conversation about science and a deep dive into the vaccine facts. I think since it is so hard to schedule appointments in my area of the world, skipping would be a hard NO if I could in any way convince the kid to do it. I asked my teen if they wanted to be vaccinated the next day and the response was overwhelmingly YES! So we drove the 1 1/2 hours (each way) to get the first shot and go back later this week for the second. However, if appointments were not difficult to schedule (and closer), waiting a few days for the teen to be on board would be optimal for the OP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2