Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We’ve done Universal before and would go again. But we’ve heard from a few people who’ve gone recently (one who is there now) that they are very lax with enforcement of masks and distancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    We’ve done Universal before and would go again. But we’ve heard from a few people who’ve gone recently (one who is there now) that they are very lax with enforcement of masks and distancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've heard quite the opposite on DisBoards and some others. They are doing a better job with distancing too- their line set up makes it so you aren't standing next to someone in switchbacks. But, I haven't talked to friends, just internet strangers. I have heard the Disney complaints from real people though. I think crowded theme parks are just going to be challenging if you are hoping/expecting people to be following Covid guidelines. And as more people get vaxed they are becoming jerks and refusing to adhere to rules because they are now invincible...

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just went for four days over spring break. Crowds were not too bad, and masks were strictly enforced. Lines looked really long because of social distancing but moved fast. There are no parades, fireworks or character meet and greets. There are no fast passes, which we really missed. Food was challenging at times. We did not get any reservations for sit down meals so we had to get quick service. You have to order ahead through the app, and the restaurant you want might not be available when you want it. After you order you have to wait for it to be ready, but can’t sit down in the restaurant until your food is ready. They have it blocked off and a CM you have to show your order to before you can sit down. Wearing masks didn’t bother us. Early morning and late night had the smallest crowds. I would not go in summer because of the heat. Or favorite time is Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I would wait. I would feel like I wasn’t getting my money’s worth since so much is limited due to COVID and it would drive me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I feel that our family has gotten pretty good at Covid precautions with masking, distancing and avoiding indoor spaces that we could make it work. But I also know we've left places because we weren't comfortable with mask compliance and/or crowds. It would really stink to be at WDW and feel like you couldn't have the magical experience. I'd probably wait and hope for a better experience at another time.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I would go this year but be sure and book your park reservations soon. And read a bunch of trip reports. These are some of the challenges people have encountered:
    -not being able to find tables at quick serve places to eat. Book table meals, eat at really off times, or research the hidden spots where people are finding seats
    -crazy long lines for buses if you are staying onsite. If you aren't onsite, no problem. But, consider driving if you are. Or stay at a hotel serviced by something other than just buses. Uber and Lyft have been very hard to get and rates have been surging all the time.
    -reservations have been selling out
    -people aren't social distancing well so if that bothers you, even if vaccinated, keep that in mind.
    -lines during spring break look to be around an hour per ride and no fast passes

Personally I would go to Universal and stay at one of their premier hotels with Express Passes if I needed a theme park fix. No transportation issues and Express Passes are like Fast Passes but better (and available ). It's just a less stressful outing for me but I know it isn't Disney.
    +1 to all of this. We are out of state pass holders and follow the Passholder groups closely. Park hours have been very much cut so check those carefully for the dates under consideration. Many complaints about hour plus waits for buses at parks and resorts, and Magical Express at the airport as well. Table dining, live shows and fast passes were all critical components of Disney’s crowd control systems. Without them, there is a lot of (real and perceived due to distancing) standing in line right now. That said, Disney cast members seem to be doing a better job of distancing and masking enforcement than Universal. The Universal reports seem very “business as usual” with a little mask wearing thrown in for effect.

Not sure how old OP’s kids are but it is probably doable with older or mature kids who can handle the strict mask enforcement combined with the heat / humidity and who can also be flexible when they suddenly realize X or Y isn’t open or Z will have to suffice on a planned trip. Adults in our family will be fully vaxxed by summer and as we will be down at our condo, we will probably do some “afternoon walks” where we get our steps in, fill the popcorn bucket and ride if an attraction is mostly outdoors and the line is short. I don’t know if we would go and pay full throttle for the same magic cause the magic probably isn’t the same.
    DS 2014

Hemlock is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I would recommend going in June. Walt Disney World’s 50th anniversary celebrations start October 1st and they are expecting record crowds. Oh the the 50th anniversary celebration is going on for 18 months rather than 12

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't go this summer, and wouldn't feel comfortable going until the pandemic and varients are well under control. My reasoning: people come from all over to go to Disney, bringing viruses and varients from all over the place. And once they are at Disney they aren't going to quarantine for mild symptoms, because Disney, and $$$ for the trip. Even pre-pandemic I know of several families that had kids throwing up, had strep, fevers, etc. at Disney and they just plowed through because no one wants to stay back at the hotel on vacation.

I think it’s a very subjective and personal to each family. If you feel you still get to enjoy Disney with all the restrictions in place, by al means go with that mindset. One of our trips to Disney was in June when my boys were little and it was perfect for us; temp wise. We liked going in early and be done with parks by 1 to head back to our resort for lunch/pool and nap times. The current cut in hours would make that hard for us, as we’re not the go go go all day long type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would personally wait because I'm not a big Disneyworld person, so if I go, I want the full experience that isn't available right now AND because masks in Florida summer all day sounds like absolute hell to me. I hate Florida summer weather under normal conditions. If none of that bothers you, I can see where the slightly lower crowd levels could be attractive.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Kids are 13 and 11. We don't need parades, characters, dining plan, etc. This will our 3rd visit (last visit was 2 xmas's ago) and so we are ok with a mix of rides/parks and hanging at the resort pool.

I've heard from 4 friends who are all down there now (separately) and all are having a good experience and have said Disney is very compliant. One friend was a Universal a few days ago and said compliance was bad. We have decided to skip Universal if we go.

We are also currently planning to be there 7-8 days and the incremental cost of an 8 day park pass becomes almost negligible over 5 or 6 days, so we'd have the flexibility to go to the parks multiple times and also to just skip them if we'd rather go to the beach.

What we can't predict is whether they will increase park capacity limits between now and July 4. I suspect they will.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2