Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default ugh more vaccine woe

I just got off the phone with a friend, she is vaccinated because she works for a university (even though she is an administrator and works fully remote), her husband is vaccinated- he is an architect not sure how he qualified, and more and more people I know are getting theirs- including my son's 17/18 year old friends- I think most are lying or at best exaggerating (occasional babysitting=childcare worker, elderly relative=caregiver, blogger=media). I am glad that vaccinations are moving along, but starting to get bitter about all the cheating! Our state is supposedly opening to everyone by the end of April but as of now retail workers are still not eligible, construction workers- not eligible. It just seems so unfair. I really wish they had done front line healthcare and then moved through everyone else by age. Trying to do it by occupation leaves it so open to cheating, and means people with really low risk are getting it way ahead of people who are much higher risk. I know this will soon be a distant memory, but as cases are rising again here I am frustrated and trying to be patient.

I hear you! One of my friends jumped the line here in the Bay Area, where vaccines are still super hard to find, and I don't know how I can ever look at her the same again. Didn't even exaggerate, just outright lied about her qualifications. She said she "felt a little bad" but that she was "close enough to 50yo and had waited long enough." There are elderly and immunocompromised people who are still unable to get vaccinated. For someone like DH, who has multiple health issues, being unable to find a shot could literally be the difference between life and death. I know that every shot in the arm is helpful, but there's a reason scientists and ethicists chose the order that they did. Fortunately, DH and I are lucky to have found shots, but people like my friend who are taking away shots from other vulnerable people and making it harder for them to find one just infuriate me.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

The cheating is driving me crazy, but even beyond that it just seems so inequitable- if you work for a media organization, university, or government you probably have been vaccinated- but those tend to be highly educated, relatively wealthy and healthy folks. If you are selling shoes or hanging drywall- somehow that is less valuable? GRRR

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just want to know that grocery store workers are getting them. I remember how afraid I was to shop in the stores in the early days and those workers have been interfacing with the public for a year now when the rest of us have cowered in our homes. I have so much respect for them!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm going to have a hard time re-emerging from all this without vividly remembering how my friends handled themselves during this time. It will have a lasting affect on my friendships with some of them.

Finally grocery store employees are now eligible, they were in a lower tier than I think they should have been though. But retail workers and restaurant employees still are not eligible here.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    I really wish they had done front line healthcare and then moved through everyone else by age. Trying to do it by occupation leaves it so open to cheating, and means people with really low risk are getting it way ahead of people who are much higher risk. I know this will soon be a distant memory, but as cases are rising again here I am frustrated and trying to be patient.
    This is what our state did. HC workers, nursing homes and first responder, then by age. They added some pre-existing conditions after they were through the highest age groups, but those had to be scheduled through their doctors (they were not broad categories like T2DM).

Age is the easiest thing to verify and not easy to lie about (people may be able to fudge a little, but a 30 is not going to be mistaken for a 60 yo). Any other allocation just adds barriers to the patients and more paperwork and playing gatekeeper to the people running the clinics.

The feds through a wrench in things requiring states to open to educators, so they had to do that, which has led to more cheating (no proof is required).
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

It’s weird how different states prioritized. Our state did health care workers, 65+, childcare/k-12 teachers, then everyone with any kind of medical issue (which is anyone...includes overweight 25+ BMI, asthma, pretty much anything.). Our governor is opening it up to everyone next Monday. If you are willing to drive 1-2 hours away (to rural Iowa), it’s not that hard to find a vaccine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The whole thing is nuts. I qualified about a month ago because I work for a municipal agency that provided vaccines to all our workers who had to continue working in person FIRST, then moved on to those of us who have been telecommuting. However, my DH has reported to his work every day during the entire pandemic, has been exposed several times, and won't qualify for vaccine until later this week when the state moves to all people over age 50.

When I reported for my first dose, I was told to have the appointment confirmation up on my phone, plus my work ID badge, plus a printout of the email from my employer stating that I was eligible to get vaccinated. Nobody checked any of it at all. I sat in line (in my car) for an hour and 20 minutes waiting my turn, despite arriving 20 minutes early for my appointment time. It was aggravating, but I'm thankful for the opportunity. But it really made me think, since nobody was checking at all, how many people may have been there without an appointment.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Our state did healthcare workers, 75+, 65+, childcare/k-12 teachers (I don't think they actually planned to separate them, but national pressure + new governor changed the plan), 60+ and people with specific conditions, not including obesity like many other states, then soon will be 50+ closely followed by 40+ and 16+. It is still hard to get appointments here.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast