elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Kitchen Countertop Edges--anything but eased edge in style?

I am toying with the idea of switching our kitchen countertops. The current countertops have never been my favorite but are perfectly fine so we didn't change it when we moved in. I really like our kitchen overall and with a different countertop, I think it would look amazing. I've got a stone in mind that I think would look great and have been browsing on houzz. The thing I have noticed is that every single kitchen seems to have the eased edge on their countertops. I much prefer a more rounded edge. Are rounded edges still in style? Regardless, we would do an edge we like and not worry about what is trendy, but it would still be nice to know that the new countertops we are putting in aren't out of style because we chose the wrong edge.

Dcclerk is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You should definitely do whatever you like. This is your house and if you are not looking to sell it anytime soon, it really doesn’t matter. But, yes, I do think that rounded edge will have a more dated look. I rarely see anything other than eased edges on any of the design blogs that I follow. But if everything else is more current and well decorated, most people probably will not even notice the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There are round styles that are just a little more rounded than eased ("pencil" or "1/4" round). That's an option that would still maintain the square-ish shape of the edge. I do think the bullnose edges look outdated. We have a semi-bullnose on most of our counters and I'm not a fan. We also have an ogee edge on our island. I'm not a fan of that one either but it looks better than the semi-bullnose - it looks intentional in a good way (like "we fancied this edge up a little" vs the "rental condo" feel of a bullnose), so depending on the style of your kitchen (traditional-but-upscale), an ogee edge might work well. There's also a "cove" style that's like an ogee but squared off - I think that looks nice but it doesn't fit your round requirement.

I am thinking the ogee might be your best bet!

eta: I think the reason eased is popular bc it really highlights the thickness of your countertop. A Semi-bullnose will look thicker than a full bullnose. A pencil round or 1/4 round will look thicker than any of the bullnose styles, and especially if you round only the top edge, and not the bottom (similar to why a semi-bullnose looks thicker because only the top edge is rounded). Even ogee styles have difference in size of the curve...I would probably want to see all the edge options in person before committing since re-doing stone countertops is not a small expense!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 04-03-2021 at 02:25 PM.

Twowhat, I like the pencil round edge (maybe it's the same as the 1/4 round, but some places call them pencil eased edge and pencil round edge). It seems to show off the thickness of the countertop but without the very straight edge. This might be a good compromise (semi-bullnose is the other edge I like). The ogee is too formal--I want something simpler.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have an eased edge and an extended built up edge, so it looks like a thicker slab. I love the look! But go with what makes you happy regardless of trends!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    We have an eased edge and an extended built up edge, so it looks like a thicker slab. I love the look! But go with what makes you happy regardless of trends!

Do you have a pic? I don't really know what this would look like but I'm intrigued

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    Do you have a pic? I don't really know what this would look like but I'm intrigued
    Sure! Pardon the mess, we've got a lot going on right now. It's basically set like a cap over a built up cabinet top.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My only advice is to avoid the double ogee or waterfall/pencil. We have that style edging and it drives me nuts. Looks really pretty, but over time grime gets trapped in there. I'll periodically have to take a cloth and scraper to really clean it out. So annoying.