Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Covid vaccine

My SIL (who is a nurse), just texted that a pharmacy in her area has tons of available vaccine appts for today and over the weekend and that they only ask for your date of birth when you go (her husband went). Our state is not yet open to everyone and DH and I are in the last 2 levels, set to open by April 19. The online registration form does ask you to self certify that you are on the current eligible category. So I feel like I shouldn’t lie, but on the other hand there are a ton of appointments open, and if they aren’t being used, why not use one? While I don’t mind waiting my turn for a few more weeks, I’m a bit worried that if I am honest and wait until it opens up to everyone that it will actually be harder to get one because the systems will be overwhelmed trying to fit everyone in. Also, this clinic is for the Moderna vaccine and as a 41 yr. old woman I’m worried I fall into the category of worst for side affects from Moderna, so was kinda holding out hope to get Pfizer. Thoughts? I’m thinking maybe wait until Friday and if there are still Friday evening appointments available snag one then, as it likely won’t be used by that point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would call the pharmacy, explain you aren't technically eligible yet but would like to get on the "waste list" if there is one - let them know your contact info and that you can get there within 30 min if they have vaccine thawed that would otherwise go unused. I wouldn't feel good about lying - if you lie and get an appointment, they will thaw vaccine for you assuming you are eligible (which could actually create more waste). But if they really have a ton available that they need to use, you'd hope they have a strategy in place to make sure that any thawed vaccine gets used!

Moderna vs Pfizer side effects is really anecdotal at this point. I'd take either.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

This is a tough one- our state is also not open to all, but some of our mass vax sites have tons of open appointments- I know plenty of people who have gotten their shots and are not eligible, and at this point I really think the goal should be to administer as much vaccine as possible- not sure why the governor is dragging his feet. Calling the pharmacy is a good idea-If it is close to you even heading over there at the end of the day might work.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I would call the pharmacy, explain you aren't technically eligible yet but would like to get on the "waste list" if there is one - let them know your contact info and that you can get there within 30 min if they have vaccine thawed that would otherwise go unused. I wouldn't feel good about lying - if you lie and get an appointment, they will thaw vaccine for you assuming you are eligible (which could actually create more waste). But if they really have a ton available that they need to use, you'd hope they have a strategy in place to make sure that any thawed vaccine gets used!

Moderna vs Pfizer side effects is really anecdotal at this point. I'd take either.
    I think this is a great plan. I'm too much of a rule follower. I agree that shots need to get into arms but twowhat makes a good point here that you don't want to end up costing more waste inadvertently. I also don't necessarily think that it matters which vaccine. I think your own biological variability is the important factor and that can't be changed! I hope you get your vaccine!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    ... I also don't necessarily think that it matters which vaccine. I think your own biological variability is the important factor and that can't be changed! I hope you get your vaccine!

My ILs (both are 75) and my friend the OBGYN (she's 44) got Moderna. The ILs had stronger reactions to dose 2 than my friend did, but they were both pretty miserable ... but the reactions passed quickly, were easily managed with OTC fever reducers, and they're now fully protected.

DH and I (he's 46; I just turned 43) got Pfizer. I had extended arm pain with dose 1, much like my experience with the flu shot the past couple of years, but my reaction after dose 2 was fatigue, body/joint aches, and swollen lymph nodes. DH, on the other hand, said he felt like he'd been hit by a truck.

One of the parents from my GS troop got the J&J one-and-done. She had fever & chills all night afterward, but bounced back quickly.

My advice? Stay hydrated; for me, it felt like it helped manage the symptoms.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    My advice? Stay hydrated; for me, it felt like it helped manage the symptoms.
    I think there's something to that advice. I've seen people recommending electrolyte drinks if you're experiencing strong side effects and several people said they immediately felt better afterwards. My mom felt like she had a headache every day after her J&J vaccine and that's when I remembered the advice and told her about the Gatorade powder we had. She had 1 glass of Gatorade at night and another the next day and hasn't had a headache since!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I think there's something to that advice. I've seen people recommending electrolyte drinks if you're experiencing strong side effects and several people said they immediately felt better afterwards. My mom felt like she had a headache every day after her J&J vaccine and that's when I remembered the advice and told her about the Gatorade powder we had. She had 1 glass of Gatorade at night and another the next day and hasn't had a headache since!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    I wish I had hydrated more yesterday, I got the J&J yesterday morning, and had a very rough 24 hours. Feeling better now. My sister and BIL got it around the same time and my nephew made sure they drank lots of water and they didn't feel nearly as bad.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I wish I had hydrated more yesterday, I got the J&J yesterday morning, and had a very rough 24 hours. Feeling better now. My sister and BIL got it around the same time and my nephew made sure they drank lots of water and they didn't feel nearly as bad.

Thank you for this reminder! DH and I got our first round of Moderna tonight! My arm feels tight and sore when I raise it, I felt it right away. DH barely feels a thing so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post

I appreciate the advice! Just got my first Pfizer dose tonight and grabbed a Gatorade when I got home. I will have another along with lots of water tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ugh, that is tough! I generally am a rule follower, but the availability and knowing every vaccinated person acts as wall for virus spread, I am wavering with you!

I went through a little bit of this. Our state had a phase that included agriculture and I technically could get vaccinated. However, I am not face to face with anyone. Plenty of my friends were refreshing browsers every few minutes to find an opening and I did not feel right doing that. I waited a couple of weeks and kept track of availability. When it looked like there were plenty of openings, I scheduled mine and got my second shot on Saturday. Now my state is open to everyone 16 and older!

I am guessing a bit here, but I think in most states the frontline/health care workers and those with serious underlying conditions have had a good opportunity by now. If this was January/February and you asked this I would have said no even with open appointments. But vaccine supply is becoming less of an issue and I think your plan of booking it late is good. If the appointments are there, I would take it.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast