Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccine

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Thanks for weighing in! So this particular pharmacy is in a different county, about 40 minutes away probably. Technically, I fall into the current category, as my job is education related, but I am not with a school district, I work completely from home as an advisor to homeschool students, so I guess I feel that I should wait and let people like grocery store workers who are people facing have their chance first. I think things are starting to go more smoothly with the roll out now, but it was horrible back in Jan. And Feb. with not enough vaccines and no easy way to schedule them, so I am worried of those problems arising again when everyone is eligible in a few weeks. DH is also fully working at home for now, but would fall into category 1c (open April 12) as working in finance (insurance).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ahhhh, well with vaccine supply being good, and you being an educator - go for it!!!

Thanks for weighing in! So this particular pharmacy is in a different county, about 40 minutes away probably. Technically, I fall into the current category, as my job is education related, but I am not with a school district, I work completely from home as an advisor to homeschool students, so I guess I feel that I should wait and let people like grocery store workers who are people facing have their chance first. I think things are starting to go more smoothly with the roll out now, but it was horrible back in Jan. And Feb. with not enough vaccines and no easy way to schedule them, so I am worried of those problems arising again when everyone is eligible in a few weeks. DH is also fully working at home for now, but would fall into category 1c (open April 12) as working in finance (insurance).

If you're eligible, go! If there are open appointments sitting around, everyone has a chance to sign up.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I really think if an appointment has been available for a day or so it should be fair game. If you get yours this week that will be one less person struggling to find one next week when it opens up. I know plenty of educators and administration people who have been vaccinated and are not teaching face to face.

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My state is open to everyone now, which is definitely a lot easier. But when the tiers were still happening, what you are describing - lots of unfilled appointments - would always result in the governor opening up the tiers wider and faster. The issue would be those couple of days in that gap between the new tiers opening up. I volunteer at our city distribution points, and it is a PAIN when we are scrambling to fill appointment slots. It is also a PAIN when new tiers open, and people who are newly eligible are irate that they cannot get an appointment because everyone is swarming the system at once. Then getting scheduled weeks out, only to be infuriated once again when they see open appointments all over a week later, because the supply increased and more appointments could be offered.

I understand that you don't want to steal an appointment from a more eligible person, but that is rarely the situation with such large swaths of unfilled appointments. At this point, you have eligible people who don't want to go to that location, don't want that particular brand, or are confused by how to locate appointments. None of which are solved by you waiting. Your thought process is that waiting gives the "more" eligible people a chance to get those appointments, but it's really just more people like you, who are actively looking but not quite eligible, who will snag them.

So I definitely encourage you to just go get the shot. They have open appointments that they need filled. You waiting until your eligibility is "just right" means that you will be part of the burden on your local distribution points right when eligibility opens up, making it harder for people who can't drive 40 minutes to an appointment to get one nearby. Getting the shots in arms quickly is the most important thing.
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Would you work in person, given the opportunity and a vaccination? Is the lack of vaccine holding you back from work? If so, I would definitely get it. That’s what my school has said- if the lack of vaccine is preventing your involvement then don’t feel bad about “cutting the line.” I do believe we are at the point where vaccines in the arm is the goal. You don’t need to second guess it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by hwin708 View Post
    I understand that you don't want to steal an appointment from a more eligible person, but that is rarely the situation with such large swaths of unfilled appointments. At this point, you have eligible people who don't want to go to that location, don't want that particular brand, or are confused by how to locate appointments. None of which are solved by you waiting. Your thought process is that waiting gives the "more" eligible people a chance to get those appointments, but it's really just more people like you, who are actively looking but not quite eligible, who will snag them.
    All of this. I wish I could put this on save string (remember those? lol) and paste it when I see people who are worried about taking appointments. I understand that appointments are still very hard to get in a lot of places, but where I live, the above scenario is what is happening.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

As a healthcare worker who has not yet gotten the vaccine, I say just go for it. I believe you said there were appointments available today, if they're not taken by now no one's going to reserve them. As for the weekend, you could always wait till the end of the week and see if there are any left and then just schedule one. Generally people do tend to schedule these in advance because if they really want it they're going to schedule it. If there are a bunch of open appointments by the end of the week for the weekend I would not feel guilty at all by taking one.

I know in our area (central FL) it is now open to 16 and over as of today an appointments can be found but they're getting a bit harder to get.

I'm scheduling mine as we speak, as I had covid in early Jan, so I had to wait the 90 days which puts me at this week.

As for the side effects, I think immune response is a more accurate way to say it. You're most likely going to have it no matter which one you get, and it will vary depending on the person. Most likely will be worse on the second injection but if you've had covid, the first injection will generate the heightened immune response.

I'm trying to decide which one to get, I posted about this last night.

Good luck!

You fall within a current category. Get it.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you guys qualify, make the appts and go.
    K

Just another voice saying to go ahead and get the vaccine, especially if you are at all considered eligible. We are at a point in many locales where appointments are not being filled. I'm in multiple groups advertising mass vaccine clinics and most have ended up open to anyone despite our state tiers for weeks because vaccine would go to waste. If people were willing to do a bit of extra work or driving, a vaccine wasn't too difficult to get. Even if you work at home, I'm guessing you have other ways of contracting and passing the virus - kids in school or activities, grocery store runs, and other necessary interactions with people - so you are actually helping stop the spread.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast