twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Sensitivity to synthetic clothing? Cotton-rich options?

Posting here for traffic. As I've gotten older I'm noticing that I'm less and less tolerant of synthetic clothing (polyester, nylon) - my drier skin hates it, it snags at my dry fingers, the static drives me nuts, and I'm even noticing spots of eczema crop up where the clothing rubs.

DH started noticing the same thing - with itchy spots appearing on his neck when he wears his dri-fit shirts but the spots going away when he wears cotton.

I've started making an effort to replace with cotton whenever I need to replace clothing. What are some good sources? I've tried a couple things from Marine Layer (AWESOME soft cotton but I struggle with their styles which, at least last year, were too short in the torso. I like length in the torso. They're also pretty pricey). LLBean? What about PACT - has anyone tried this? I obviously still want to look put together and don't want frumpy cotton clothes. But I would love to start replacing sweatpants/jogger with smooth cotton, and work blouses with cotton...we even finally got our couch slipcovered in cotton canvas and it feels soooo much better.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Are you sure it isn't your detergent? Just an easier thought than a wardrobe change.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Are you sure it isn't your detergent? Just an easier thought than a wardrobe change.
    It's possible that it is the detergent but unlikely since we haven't changed detergents. But it's possible detergent build-up is worse on synthetics. Even if it's the detergent though, I'm still wanting to move towards cotton-rich. I'm finding that the feel of synthetics just really bothers me now! And the plan is to go slowly and replace only clothing that needs to be replaced.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Pure cotton has gotten more expensive so clothing manufacturers are weaving more synthetics into their fabrics. It’s really hard to find pure 100% cotton clothes nowadays. They are usually more expensive. So expect to pay more. This is mainly true of women’s clothes. I can find plenty of 100% cotton shirts and pants for my boys.

I have found more of the pure cotton items on places like Talbots, Llbean, Landsend, etc. But even there you will have to read the material of the fabric. Lots of 97% cotton, 3% something else like spandex, viscose, etc. I do like the added bit of give that the tiny bit of spandex adds, but you’ll have to decide if you can live with that.

I read somewhere that the synthetic fabrics are disastrous for the environment. Everytime we wash polyester, rayon or viscose, tiny bits of the threads wash into our water supply and are very harmful for wildlife (and ultimately us). So by avoiding synthetics you are doing good for yourself as well as the environment.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Pure cotton has gotten more expensive so clothing manufacturers are weaving more synthetics into their fabrics. It’s really hard to find pure 100% cotton clothes nowadays. They are usually more expensive. So expect to pay more. This is mainly true of women’s clothes. I can find plenty of 100% cotton shirts and pants for my boys.

I have found more of the pure cotton items on places like Talbots, Llbean, Landsend, etc. But even there you will have to read the material of the fabric. Lots of 97% cotton, 3% something else like spandex, viscose, etc. I do like the added bit of give that the tiny bit of spandex adds, but you’ll have to decide if you can live with that.

I read somewhere that the synthetic fabrics are disastrous for the environment. Everytime we wash polyester, rayon or viscose, tiny bits of the threads wash into our water supply and are very harmful for wildlife (and ultimately us). So by avoiding synthetics you are doing good for yourself as well as the environment.
    I'm definitely OK with a small amount of synthetic like 3% spandex, and for women's clothing this is probably important since shape is a bigger deal (everything has to be harder for women, LOL!) Rayon/modal is also one of the "synthetics" that is not quite as bothersome to me as polyester. Polyester really sucks. It's too bad cotton is getting expensive

Lake Pajamas has some lovely pima cotton lounge options (I recently got myself a pima cotton robe and nightgown and omgggggg they are heavenly). But my hunt for more work-appropriate clothes in mostly cotton continues...SO much of womens' business casual are synthetics!! Polyester EVERYWHERE.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 04-05-2021 at 04:35 PM.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    It's possible that it is the detergent but unlikely since we haven't changed detergents. But it's possible detergent build-up is worse on synthetics. Even if it's the detergent though, I'm still wanting to move towards cotton-rich. I'm finding that the feel of synthetics just really bothers me now! And the plan is to go slowly and replace only clothing that needs to be replaced.
    Even if you haven’t changed detergent, the mfr may have changed the detergent. My super-sensitive family (including me!) have encountered this with a variety of products.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My mom has basically rebought her entire wardrobe over the last few years switching to 100% Cotten and linen. She has several autoimmune disorders and has found that natural fibers really help her skin. (She has horrible flares of eczema). I will ask her for her tips but I know that 95% of her clothing is from thrift stores.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Also, I like the everywear tees at Old Navy. They are 100% cotton.