Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Daycare "Urgent Notice"

Just got a notification labeled Urgent Notice from our daycare. It basically says all their employees are getting their second Covid vaccines on Thursday (yay!! so glad they were able to do this!! can't wait until I am eligible too!!) and just in case several staff members have side effects and call out, be warned that it is possible they will be closed on Friday. They will let us know by 5:30 Friday morning. I'm presenting at a virtual conference on Friday. It was already going to be fun to find a professional looking location in my house with adequate lighting for that (no virtual backgrounds on this software) while my 7 year old is home doing distance learning. Now I'm probably going to have to contend with a 3 year old too?

Who thought it was a good idea for all the daycare staff to get vaccinated on the same day when they all have to be at work the next day? I feel like they are all going to call out and say they don't feel well now whether they really have a bad reaction or not. And yes, I realize that in my area vaccines are still not easy to get and they may have had little choice about the timing. But maybe half the staff could have gotten their doses one day and the other half could have gotten them a different day? And I'm also kinda pissed that my husband will assume it's not a problem for me to keep DD home since I'll be home anyway. I feel bad saying that, because he really is an amazing husband and father, but he just doesn't seem to have a realistic view of what I can do when there are kids at home.

I would maybe not be as whiny about this if they hadn't closed all day last Tuesday due to a power outage when the power was back on before 8:30 a.m. We've used this daycare for almost 7 years, and we've always liked them. They used to be really flexible about a lot of things, which all went out the window due to Covid. We've dealt with the increased price, reduced hours, weird rules, and absence of flexibility. If my kid has a dentist appointment in the morning I can no longer drop her off afterward because you're not allowed to drop off after 8:45 anymore, and her lunch/drink/snacks must be ok at room temperature, no ice packs, and packed in 100% disposable packaging inside a gallon ziplock. We will continue to deal with this because it's hard to find a place that is both convenient and trustworthy, and she only has a little over a year left before kindergarten. But this was just one thing too many.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Daycare "Urgent Notice"

Can DH arrange to be home on Friday? Does he get personal days off work? Even if it’s just half a day that covers your presentation? I often took the time off but when ds got sick and we had many more calls from school to pick him up, DH and I started splitting them. His work was way more flexible than I previously thought. I have meetings I legally have to attend and just said “no I can’t get him. If you pick him up I’ll leave after my meeting then you can go back to work”.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 04-06-2021 at 02:09 AM.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My guess is that they are having someone come to the site and do vaccines for the employees; that's why they are all on the same day. We are seeing a lot of that here for daycare, senior centers, and elder care centers.

While it sucks, at least they gave you some notice? I would talk to your child's teachers or teacher's helpers - tell them that you have a presentation that day, and you will need care even if the center is closed. Perhaps you could get one of them to come to your home, even if the center closes. (Daycare workers rarely have sick leave. Dealing with one child at home for a couple hours is easier than a class full all day.)

Keep in mind that they will most likely do the same thing for the second shot next month, too.

Fortunately this is the second shot! We have a great babysitter, but she has a full time job and we work with her around her work schedule. She doesn’t have any days off this week.

DH is already taking off a whole week later this month when DS has spring break, and he took 2 days off last week when he wasn’t feeling well but totally could have gone to work if he wanted to (one of them happened to be the day daycare was closed due to the brief power outage) so he is doing his share.

I will make it work, it is during DS’s break time at school and he can help keep her entertained for a little while. It is just kind of that last straw for me at a time when I am already feeling very overwhelmed and like I will never catch up with things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m sorry!! I hope your DD is especially cooperative!!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh my gosh! How stressful! How are you planning to handle that? In my mind I'm scheming up ways I'd keep my 3yos busy but boy COVID sure makes it harder!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh—that’s terrible timing for the conference. Hopefully all will go smoothly and enough folks will come to work.

No ice packs?? What?
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Ugh—that’s terrible timing for the conference. Hopefully all will go smoothly and enough folks will come to work.

No ice packs?? What?
    No ice packs, no insulated lunch boxes. Almost every day I send a small disposable bottle of water, half a sunbutter and jelly sandwich, carrot sticks and ranch dip, some kind of fruit, and either string cheese or a gogurt that I keep in the freezer at home. I gave up trying for variety. It had a few healthy things in it and she eats it We go through ziplock bags and disposable condiment cups like crazy.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    No ice packs, no insulated lunch boxes. Almost every day I send a small disposable bottle of water, half a sunbutter and jelly sandwich, carrot sticks and ranch dip, some kind of fruit, and either string cheese or a gogurt that I keep in the freezer at home. I gave up trying for variety. It had a few healthy things in it and she eats it We go through ziplock bags and disposable condiment cups like crazy.

That’s challenging!
    Get some waxed paper baggies. A little better than ziplock.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Update: Daycare was closed. I put her upstairs for rest time before my session began. I paid my 7 year old to keep her upstairs and happy. She pooped right when I was supposed to be starting (despite my effort to get her to go 10 minutes earlier) so I had to go wipe her and clean the mess she had made on the toilet seat getting down. I was about 3 minutes late to my session, but it was a drop in virtual poster session so it wasn’t really a big deal. Just one more added thing for me to worry about.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast