Just got a notification labeled Urgent Notice from our daycare. It basically says all their employees are getting their second Covid vaccines on Thursday (yay!! so glad they were able to do this!! can't wait until I am eligible too!!) and just in case several staff members have side effects and call out, be warned that it is possible they will be closed on Friday. They will let us know by 5:30 Friday morning. I'm presenting at a virtual conference on Friday. It was already going to be fun to find a professional looking location in my house with adequate lighting for that (no virtual backgrounds on this software) while my 7 year old is home doing distance learning. Now I'm probably going to have to contend with a 3 year old too?

Who thought it was a good idea for all the daycare staff to get vaccinated on the same day when they all have to be at work the next day? I feel like they are all going to call out and say they don't feel well now whether they really have a bad reaction or not. And yes, I realize that in my area vaccines are still not easy to get and they may have had little choice about the timing. But maybe half the staff could have gotten their doses one day and the other half could have gotten them a different day? And I'm also kinda pissed that my husband will assume it's not a problem for me to keep DD home since I'll be home anyway. I feel bad saying that, because he really is an amazing husband and father, but he just doesn't seem to have a realistic view of what I can do when there are kids at home.

I would maybe not be as whiny about this if they hadn't closed all day last Tuesday due to a power outage when the power was back on before 8:30 a.m. We've used this daycare for almost 7 years, and we've always liked them. They used to be really flexible about a lot of things, which all went out the window due to Covid. We've dealt with the increased price, reduced hours, weird rules, and absence of flexibility. If my kid has a dentist appointment in the morning I can no longer drop her off afterward because you're not allowed to drop off after 8:45 anymore, and her lunch/drink/snacks must be ok at room temperature, no ice packs, and packed in 100% disposable packaging inside a gallon ziplock. We will continue to deal with this because it's hard to find a place that is both convenient and trustworthy, and she only has a little over a year left before kindergarten. But this was just one thing too many.