hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Johnson & Johnson Side Effects

Hi All,

So I received the J&J vaccine this morning... YAY!!! However, I react to everything,m so I am more than a little concerned about the side effects. Tomorrow was a clear day with nothing important...

Until this afternoon when they scheduled my medically fragile Teen for dose #1 in the city almost two hours away. There is no way I can NOT take the teen, this is the one who needs it the most.

How bad am I going to feel tomorrow? Rescheduling the teen is not really an option so I am just trying to be mentally prepared !

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My neighbor was recommended the J&J because she’s very reactive to medications. She was fine. I think your biggest problem will be if you have a fever. When I went to get my shot they scanned my forehead. If you have a fever, will they let him in alone? Is he comfortable going in alone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way the teen can go in alone. The shot might not be a problem, but the 30 minute wait would not work out very well (they have already told us it will be 30 minutes due to DC's complexitie). The last time we went to a satellite for this hospital they told us they were going to do temp checks and they didn't. Maybe I will bring my vacs card so they can see that it's probably a side effect??? ARGH! My kid is amazing, but nothing is ever easy...

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't blame you for being stressed. I don't know many people who received the Johnson and Johnson. It is so hard to predict how you are going to feel and/or if you will have a fever. If you do feel poorly/have a fever, maybe take tylenol and hope for the best as you know its due to the vaccine. I know with Moderna they were saying its okay to take after your vaccine, but not before..I waited 8 hours after as I wanted to be safe. Double check what they say about Johnson and Johnson and tylenol if you are having symptoms/fever.

Emotionally, I think remembering you may feel uncomfortable if you have symptoms but they will likely be manageable. I did take the day off after my vaccine, and appreciated it, but I could have gotten through if needed.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DH got the J&J last week and only had a sore arm the day after. He said it was like the sore arm you get when you get the flu shot. Good luck!

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I got the J&J and didn’t have a fever but I did have chills starting about 12 hours after and lasting through the night. Woke up with a headache but ibuprofen knocked it out. Wasn’t too bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

DH felt ill, out of energy, chills for a day, but he managed a normal routine other than exercise. He did go to bed super early. I think it will be perfectly manageable. We've all probably worked, juggled, and parented a full day feeling similarly under different circumstances. Just let everyone know they are on their own for dinner and you are going to bed early. Hoping you end up with nothing more than a sore arm.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was able to get my mom a J&J vaccine for the day she became eligible (on the 1st). TWIV says it's the least reactive of the 3 and since we all have autoimmune issues in our family (and her anaphylactic allergies) that's the one we preferred and since she had the choice of all 3 I picked J&J. She had a sore arm for a day and "maybe" had a headache and was more tired the night she got the vaccine she said. Nothing the day after or in the 5 days since. She's 64.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Hi All, OP Here...

So DC had her first shot. I am starting to feel better. Hours 10 thru 30 were not great... chills, unable to sleep, feeling really off... but it seems better now...

Thanks so much for everything!