Looking to get advice on pre med/med schools.

DS is a junior in our town's public high school. DS has known for a few years now that he wants to be an MD. He's doing well in school, taking mostly AP and Honors classes. One thing we've noticed about our public schools is that there isn't extensive guidance or help for college planning. I say this, because I have friends whose kids receive much more detailed guidance in the private schools. DH and I also went to public schools, and we remember it being similar. The guidance counselors were helpful, but obviously stretched thin taking care of so many other students. We're really wondering what schools look for on transcripts/applications.

And then there are the school loans that DS will be facing. College prices are no joke and I feel kind of sick thinking about the amount of debt he is going to face since he's looking at least 8 years of expensive schooling. We've gotten some advice about going to a state school for pre med and then med school or the other option of applying to a dual BS/MD college with guaranteed admission to their med school. We're a bit overwhelmed on that one. Obviously we want DS to like his choices (money isn't the sole factor, but a realistic one), so we aren't ruling out any schools yet.

If you have any advice or thoughts I'd appreciate it!