bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Does this sound like a weird DX to anyone else?

DH is pursuing this issue with his doctor, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

About 2.5 months ago, DH was watching the kids for me because I had what I suspected was a UTI. I even posted about it here:

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...east-infection

My doc ended up diagnosing me with a UTI (over the phone, just relayed convos through the nurse!) and I was prescribed ABX. I took a course and felt better within about a day.

Anyway, I had one miserable day in bed (MLK day) while DH was off work and was watching them. He did something silly like jumped up to try and make DD laugh and her ended up straining his back somehow and it has been hurting ever since.

He has a lot of back issues. Everything from low back pain, to a broken clavicle, to disk pain. And he's been rehabbing an injured finger so it wasn't a huge priority and anyway, long and short is that he finally saw the doctor yesterday.

The doctor thinks it is a kidney infection. They did a quick urinalysis and saw presence of blood. The more extensive labs came back today (and we haven't heard the doctor's perspective yet) but there is presence of mucus but all the other indicators look good. I guess I can see that kidney pain could affect the back. But why would it come on suddenly, as it seemed to happen for DH? Also, wouldn't he be VERY ill with an untreated kidney infection for the past 2.5 months? And is it weird that I had an acute UTI at the very same time?

Anyway, would love your thoughts!

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sorry you’re both going through this!

Not totally helpful - but I’ve had a couple instances while one thing is found to be wrong while on the way to finding the underlying issue.

I’d be inclined to treat the kidney infection while still seeking cause of sudden onset back pain. If for some reason it resolves and stays resolved he can stop but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Kidney infection often presents with lower back pain or even rib pain. In fact, when doctors and nurses check for kidney pain they place their one hand flat on your low back and hit that hand with their other hand that's in a fist. That often causes pain on whatever side the affected kidney is.
    Last edited by essnce629; 04-06-2021 at 02:42 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Thanks all! I mean, it makes sense to treat the kidney infection if that's what the bloodwork is revealing and it sure sounds like that is the case! It was strange to me that the pain presented itself in such a strange way and persevered for so long! Then the coincidence that we both had similar infections at the same time that presented themselves so differently.

OK. Apparently the doctor suspects kidney stones. The RBC value was between 11 and 25 and that was flagged as high. I guess I just need to wait for the call back from the doctor!

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    OK. Apparently the doctor suspects kidney stones. The RBC value was between 11 and 25 and that was flagged as high. I guess I just need to wait for the call back from the doctor!
    With the kidney stones and the broken bone/disk issues, I would have his calcium levels checked. In a single blood draw, they should look at calcium, parathyroid hormone and vitamin D. Kidney stones are a flag for hyperparathyroidism, which pulls calcium from your bones (and makes kidney stones), weakening your bones (osteoporosis).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Re: pain coming on suddenly (and often severely): that is definitely a possibility with kidney stones. Several family members have had repeated bouts with stones — no fun at all. In one case, a family member was halfway through her 30 minute commute and the pain was so sudden and overwhelming that she had to pull into the closest parking lot and call someone living nearby to come pick her up and take her to the closest emergency room.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Definitely do the follow up with kidney issues.

Lower back pain could also be due to his work. He sits for hours and hours. That’s what causes issues for DH with similar work. I tell my DH he needs to stretch more and it helped when he was doing regular massage

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Definitely do the follow up with kidney issues.

Lower back pain could also be due to his work. He sits for hours and hours. That’s what causes issues for DH with similar work. I tell my DH he needs to stretch more and it helped when he was doing regular massage

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    For sure this is a factor! DH is feeling so much better because he's taken a week off for spring break. Prior to his appointment on Monday he installed an air conditioner unit in a window and was struggling because his back finally felt BETTER than it had for weeks prior and he wanted to be able to discuss exactly how his pain was feeling, lol.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If they didn't tell you - drink, drink drink! For either kidney infection or stones, lots of water can help.