lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Creating Supply Packs for Mini First Aid Kits Check In

Due to COVID regulations in my Girl Scout council, any time I do an activity that requires supplies, my Scouts need to have individual supply packs made up.

We'll be working on the First Aid badge at this month's meetings; one of the activities to earn this badge involves making up a mini first aid kit, which is great timing between heading back to in-person school and the summer coming up, plus the fact that my scouts are all 5th graders bound for middle school next year, so having a small first aid kit that they can stash in a purse or backpack will be especially useful.

I shopped for supplies using the list found in this blog post - the girls will pack their kits into travel soap cases, as suggested in the post.

I bought the following:
    • single-use packets of hand sanitizer (50)
    • single-use packets of antibiotic ointment (50)
    • single-use packets of burn cream (50)
    • a box of 300 assorted adhesive bandages
    • 12 permanent markers (each Girl Scout gets 1 to write "FIRST AID" and her name on her soap case)
    • 8 travel soap cases (each Girl Scout gets 1 to use as a fairly sturdy, waterproof holder for her first aid kit)

I will divide the supplies among 6 quart-sized zip top baggies (with an instructions flyer included in each bag) prior to our assembly meeting so each girl has her own items and we won't have to sanitize the markers between uses (this is in the current council protocols despite increased evidence that fomite spread is exceedingly rare.)

Since we have also earned the First Aid badge on the Brownie level, I have some left over supplies like a box of individually-wrapped alcohol prep pads, that I can include as well.

As I was concerned about running out of space inside the cases, I didn't include larger items like prep towels, cotton swabs, or gauze pads.

Am I missing anything else?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Due to COVID regulations in my Girl Scout council, any time I do an activity that requires supplies, my Scouts need to have individual supply packs made up.

We'll be working on the First Aid badge at this month's meetings; one of the activities to earn this badge involves making up a mini first aid kit, which is great timing between heading back to in-person school and the summer coming up, plus the fact that my scouts are all 5th graders bound for middle school next year, so having a small first aid kit that they can stash in a purse or backpack will be especially useful.

I shopped for supplies using the list found in this blog post - the girls will pack their kits into travel soap cases, as suggested in the post.

I bought the following:
    • single-use packets of hand sanitizer (50)
    • single-use packets of antibiotic ointment (50)
    • single-use packets of burn cream (50)
    • a box of 300 assorted adhesive bandages
    • 12 permanent markers (each Girl Scout gets 1 to write "FIRST AID" and her name on her soap case)
    • 8 travel soap cases (each Girl Scout gets 1 to use as a fairly sturdy, waterproof holder for her first aid kit)

I will divide the supplies among 6 quart-sized zip top baggies (with an instructions flyer included in each bag) prior to our assembly meeting so each girl has her own items and we won't have to sanitize the markers between uses (this is in the current council protocols despite increased evidence that fomite spread is exceedingly rare.)

Since we have also earned the First Aid badge on the Brownie level, I have some left over supplies like a box of individually-wrapped alcohol prep pads, that I can include as well.

As I was concerned about running out of space inside the cases, I didn't include larger items like prep towels, cotton swabs, or gauze pads.

Am I missing anything else?
    I would add gloves.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    I would add gloves.
    Even folded, gloves take up a lot of room, and I doubt the girls' ability to fold them properly - several of these kids can barely tie their shoes, my own daughter included.

If it were a full kit, I'd add gloves, disposable masks, etc., but these are MINI kits. We'll certainly talk about gloves & proper glove hygiene, but it's not possible to fit gloves into a MINI kit in a soap case.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You probably aren't interested in an alternative but I know I much prefer a compact case for my on the go first aid kit. I got a bunch of these one year when we were in a local race. Mine is a different fabric than this and has a plastic clip on it. But, same idea. Kids rarely carry bags so the soap holder will be really bulky. https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Emerge.../dp/B07ZHYQDHN
    eta-multiple sizes are linked there. I'd get the smallest which looks to be 4x6

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I like SunggleBubbles suggestion of the bag... this can clip to the outside of a day pack and others would know where to find it.

I agree that gloves should be included. 5th graders hands are small. I would put a couple pairs of gloves in a snack bag in the kit.

Have your girls learnd CPR yet? If so, add a mouth shield. We have these: https://www.amazon.com/Keychain-Emer...7812260&sr=8-5

If your girls go hiking or camping, add a tick spoon like this: https://www.amazon.com/Original-Tick...7812348&sr=8-5

Add an old credit card and wrap the credit card with duct tape.

a pen

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    You probably aren't interested in an alternative but I know I much prefer a compact case for my on the go first aid kit. I got a bunch of these one year when we were in a local race. Mine is a different fabric than this and has a plastic clip on it. But, same idea. Kids rarely carry bags so the soap holder will be really bulky. https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Emerge.../dp/B07ZHYQDHN
    eta-multiple sizes are linked there. I'd get the smallest which looks to be 4x6
    With my troop requirement that all Scouts are responsible for carrying their own stuff in a bag (any kind), I never considered fabric with a clip as an option. Maybe when they're Cadettes!
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    I like SunggleBubbles suggestion of the bag... this can clip to the outside of a day pack and others would know where to find it.

I agree that gloves should be included. 5th graders hands are small. I would put a couple pairs of gloves in a snack bag in the kit.

Have your girls learnd CPR yet? If so, add a mouth shield. We have these: https://www.amazon.com/Keychain-Emer...7812260&sr=8-5

If your girls go hiking or camping, add a tick spoon like this: https://www.amazon.com/Original-Tick...7812348&sr=8-5

Add an old credit card and wrap the credit card with duct tape.

a pen
    These are great suggestions; I'll add them to the instructions handout I'll give the kids. I might be able to Prime mini pens, which is a great idea and I wish I'd thought of it.

They have not yet learned CPR; Red Cross & American Heart courses in our area are still entirely online and/or teach hands-only (Red Cross) and the kids are currently burned out for anything virtual. I agree that it's a good idea.

In order to earn the Cadette level Safety Award, First Aid badge, and Babysitting badge, I believe they do need to learn CPR (haven't checked the requirements yet), so I was considering requesting the Red Cross Babysitting course as an in-person event for the SU when we're allowed to do that again plus adding CPR if we can connect with one of the local first aid squads for help getting a course for middle/high school aged girls and, while we're at it, an adult-level course for interested Volunteers.

One of my friends from back home is a recently-former EMT/EMT instructor (current Dispatcher) and she's got a lot of great pointmes for people I can reach out to and drop her name.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

not first aid so much as emergency need, I started my period in 5th grade. DD kept a panty liner and pad in her first aid kit just in case at that age. Her friends all did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    not first aid so much as emergency need, I started my period in 5th grade. DD kept a panty liner and pad in her first aid kit just in case at that age. Her friends all did the same.
    I didn't get my first period until I was midway through 7th grade (12y9m old), so reminders that periods are a thing that start at my Scouts' ages is really important for me. DD and I have talked about making a backpack/locker period kit with pads, maybe a plastic applicator tampon or two, etc.

I'm still not sure how my Scouts' families handle talk about periods, but when we are allowed to start planning overnights, I will have to prioritize adding some discreet period kits to the troop's First Aid and Campout/Overnight supplies. (There're some cute zipper pouches online that would work and I could probably add some inexpensive clearance underwear in various sizes & Shout wipes just in case.)

My co-leader and I have discussed a period products drive for our local I Support the Girls chapter this spring, so periods will probably come up soon.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)