MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Mouth guard with Herbst appliance?

DS got a herbst installed a few months ago. They gave him two different mouth guards at his last appointment to use for soccer. Neither fit and neither will stay in his mouth. He’s a goalie and is constantly talking during the game and they fall out the minute he opens his mouth. We went back this morning so they could try to adjust the mouth guards and they can’t get them to work either. I couldn’t go in because of covid, but DS said they told him to just try some out to see if he can find one that stays in. I tried cutting one like I saw on some ortho’s website and it didn’t work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don’t need him taking a ball or foot to the face without a mouth guard in.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD1 has a similar issue because of a palate expander. She just finished a season of basketball. We ended up not having her wear a mouthguard. She couldn't talk and keep it in and breathe with a mask on. So we rolled the dice on not taking an elbow to the mouth.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Maybe ask them if they think they can get these to work. Very popular in hockey but I don’t have first hand experience with appliances as my kids just have Invisalign. https://www.sisuguard.com/all-products/

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We went through the same thing. My husband ended up cutting one a few times and it finally worked. It mainly protected his front teeth but it was better than nothing. It was a few years ago but I'm fairly certain we bought a Shock Doctor Gel Max one. Good luck!
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Bumping in case anyone has any new suggestions. DS took an elbow to the mouth last night that cause some pretty bad damage (luckily no fractures, but she is concerned there may be nerve damage resulting in the need for a root canal). The dentist was livid we didn't have a mouthguard and that the ortho would not figure something out. She said the one that she usually works with custom makes them for herbst kids and cuts a slot in them, so ours should be able to figure something out. We live 45 minutes from the dentist or we would have used the ortho in her town, but I can't do that much running. Ortho was out today, but I'm calling Monday.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We never found anything that worked. Starting our 3rd with a Herbst in 2 weeks. He broke the carriere appliance that was going to be the solution to the giant Herbst.

The good thing is…it eventually does the trick and goes away! Our 2nd got braces off this week and his bite is fabulous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk